Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2008, 05:54   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
Nevis - new moorings and cruising permit / rules

I am looking into moving to Nevis and wondering if anyone here knows about the costs of the new moorings recently installed - long term rental costs - and what the regs are for cruising between St Kitts and Nevis. Also when you come back in from other islands - late how picky are they for clearing in/getting off your boat if you live there and have a cruising permit, which I assume is available but also need to know about.
Thanks - SEA ya,
Scott
Captin7Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 10:36   #2

Aren't Nevis and St. Kitts one nation? If so I don't think you need to clear in when going from one to the other. (I never did in the 90s) in the last millennium.

Why Nevis? Just asking.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 12:22   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Scott.

My boat is on one of the moorings right now. The weekly rate for a 38 footer would be $20 US. Apparently, I'm the first boater to ask about a long-term rate, so the Port Authority General Manager has asked me to stand by while they come up with something. The moorings are excellent quality--they were installed by MoorSecure, of the BVI.

Technically, unless you "import" your boat into Nevis and pay customs duties on it's assessed value, you must have a valid cruising permit to sail to any other anchorage on Nevis or on St Kitts. You get a cruising permit when you clear in through Customs. It is good for seven days, and must be renewed if you want to sail after it expires.

When coming back to Nevis from another island, you are required to pick up a yellow quarantine bouy at Charlestown, fly the yellow "Q" flag, and clear at the earliest possible opportunity. That could be the next morning if you arrive after the Customs office is closed. If you haven't cleared in, you cannot legally go ashore for any other purpose. This is no different than any other Caribbean island. They are serious about the customs and immigrations rules here, and it would be risky to try to circumvent them.
Old 26-01-2008, 17:53   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Scott,
Welcome aboard!! Looks like you already getting help.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 04:35   #5

Boat: Hunter 410
Cost of cruising in Nevis

Thanks for the reply - how long have you lived in Nevis? When I was there a few weeks ago I was told the moorings were $20 per day. I wrote to the Port Authority and was also told they do not know what they will charge long term. I have no info on the cruising permit - can one only get a week at a time? How much do those cost? I am looking at moving down to work for The Four Seasons Resort Estates as their constuction manager & will sail down so part of my inquiry is cost related and part wanting to know the ease of cruising in the area. I had heard confilicting intel on going back and forth between St Kitts and Nevis for example. Where did you sink roots on the island?
Thanks in advance for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hi, Scott.

My boat is on one of the moorings right now. The weekly rate for a 38 footer would be $20 US. Apparently, I'm the first boater to ask about a long-term rate, so the Port Authority General Manager has asked me to stand by while they come up with something. The moorings are excellent quality--they were installed by MoorSecure, of the BVI.

Technically, unless you "import" your boat into Nevis and pay customs duties on it's assessed value, you must have a valid cruising permit to sail to any other anchorage on Nevis or on St Kitts. You get a cruising permit when you clear in through Customs. It is good for seven days, and must be renewed if you want to sail after it expires.

When coming back to Nevis from another island, you are required to pick up a yellow quarantine bouy at Charlestown, fly the yellow "Q" flag, and clear at the earliest possible opportunity. That could be the next morning if you arrive after the Customs office is closed. If you haven't cleared in, you cannot legally go ashore for any other purpose. This is no different than any other Caribbean island. They are serious about the customs and immigrations rules here, and it would be risky to try to circumvent them.
Captin7Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 08:02   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Scott.

Congratulations on your new job, if that works out for you. I saw it advertised in the local newspaper. Lucky for you, I'm retired!

We've lived here about a year and a half. We found Nevis while cruising the islands a few years ago. We sold out in the States, and bought a home in Fern Hill Gardens, which is at about 450' elevation, up above Jessups Village, and the Four Seasons golf course.

The issue of what to charge for the new government moorings has been a bit confusing. They took forever to come up with the transient rates, and are still cogitating on long-term rates. I've been on mine since mid-November, and have yet to pay, but I'm sure I'll be asked to settle up sometime soon. The transient rates are posted here: Charlestown - CruiserlogWiki A friend of ours sailed in for a few days in December, and they charged him $20 US for four days on a mooring. He could have stayed seven days for that amount. Pretty reasonable, actually.

The Cruising Permit comes with your practique fee when you clear in. They charge me $30 EC (just over $11 US) for my 38 footer. With that, you are good for 30 days at the anchorage you specify and can cruise to to others that you ask to be listed on your Cruising Permit. But for some odd reason, the Cruising Permit is only valid for seven days. You can renew it, and I don't think they charge you for that. They really ought to change that.

If you move here with a job at the Four Seasons, you'll have a work permit, so you will have a Visa for longer than 30 days.

When we first sailed to St. Kitts in 2004, we cleared in at Basseterre and stayed for a few days. When we sailed to Nevis, we were required to go to Customs and clear in to Nevis. I was told that I could sail back to St Kitts and anchor in the bays noted on my cruising permit, but could not go ashore unless I cleared in to St Kitts again. I've heard a rumor they've done away with that requirement, but I'm not sure, since we take the ferry if we need to go to St. Kitts.

Hope things work out for you. Nevis is a great spot to live in th Caribbean.
Old 22-02-2008, 15:43   #7

Boat: Grady White 208 Adventure
Dear Scott,
Good luck in your sail and relocation. I am expiring in the States doing the 9-5 gig. Keep us posted on your new life. I want to make a move, I guess money and lack of a real skill, I sell pharmaceuticals is holding me back. Did I mention my cats? One day- Good luck!
indiadrescher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Nevis, permit