Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 19:34   #1

Boat: no boat yet
never even been sailing

hey everybody, just thought i would drop a quick hello as i am new here. i have never been sailing, and am doing research before i go any further than think it might be a nice compromise for me and my hubby. we live in vero beach FL and i don't think i've seen a sailboat up close ever. we will probably wind up doing a sailboat charter before we start thinking lessons. anyway just thought i would say hello and thanks for the tons of info i have already gotten from this site. spinx
spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 19:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Be careful. I had never been sailing. Went out one time with some friends from Florida and I was never the same.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 19:43   #3

welllll... i don't think it will be much of a problem for me. a boat is more of a means to and end for me as i have no feelings either way about them, kinda like a car lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 19:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Be careful. I had never been sailing. Went out one time with some friends from Florida and I was never the same.
Gets expensive!

Research is fine and you can do a lot of that here. Getting out on a day trip just has to be high on your list. With enough interest to want to do the research the actual sailing would pretty much tell you what you do and don't like.

There are an infinite numbers of ways to enjoy sailing. With all the different types of boats and places to go you only have to find the style that works for you. You'll find a lot of examples here and it's like getting a new suit. It seems much better when it fits. I think you can find a lot of people here just like you because we have so many types.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 19:59   #5

absolutely...i have used this sight for several weeks now before i registered so that i feel like i already know lots of the regulars such as yourself and wheels everytime i google something a thread from here shows up. i have found so far that it has the most usable info all in one spot, and ya'll are a very friendly bunch of people. thanks for the welcome.
spinx
Old 11-02-2009, 20:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
welllll... i don't think it will be much of a problem for me. a boat is more of a means to and end for me as i have no feelings either way about them, kinda like a car lol.
If you are just looking for a means to an end then getting a boat is the most impractical, illogical way to reach most ends. For vacations, seeing the tropics, etc it is much more cost effective to just fly there and stay in a hotel. If you are looking for a lifestyle then I would think to enjoy a boating lifestyle, liveaboard, long term cruising, etc would require some degree of passion to succesfully reach that goal.

So what end did you have in mind for a boat?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 20:18   #7

whew...loaded question haha, for starters we would not buy a boat for at least 2 years. my husband and i are both truck drivers (we are the owners also) and have been for more than a decade. up until 6 years ago we always ran seperate trucks but sold both and bought a new one to work together in. our problem is that we are home very rarely (gone for 8 to 10 weeks at a time) and i think that it's a waste of money to even own a home for us. but then again he is an avid fisherman of all forms and very outdoorsy and when i'm not workin' all i wanna do is sleep and lay in the bath tub. i thought that if we sold the house and stayed in the truck for a couple of years to save the money for a boat (while taking lessons of course) by the time we got the boat we would be in a position to only work 6 months out of the year and it could be stored and the other 6 months he could get in all the fishin he wanted all over the globe and i would have my house with me but still get to see lovely spots all over. financially with the house and maintainance on it we have now it would be cheaper for us to have a 40 to 45 ft sailboat as it stands now...as soon as i make sure co-captains work lol...spinx
Old 11-02-2009, 22:05   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
You should start a poll to see how many forum members have bath tubs on their boats
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 23:19   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome to the forum...WARNING!!! Sailing can be highly addictive!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:13   #10

Boat: 1968 Soverel 33-1 "Sovereign"
Send a message via Skype™ to Sinuous
I've never sailed either yet, but my wife and I just bought a boat to live aboard and eventually cruise, still out of the water being fixed up. So good luck!

Oh, and no bathtub. Just a shower we might be able rinse an upright mop in. ;-)
Sinuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48   #11

Wonder if they make a portable, fold-up bathtub. I could live without the tub if I had to
Old 12-02-2009, 03:21   #12

I very much see my boat as my home. I don't own a house, but live in an apartment.

I do like the idea of living like a turtle, with my home on my back so to speak so that when I am in ME I have my home not a motel room to stay in. or have to eat in a restaurant.

But I do enjoy sailing a the entire taking care of the boat routing. Both are rewarding for different multiple reasons. How cool is it to go places without schedules, tickets, lines and so forth, and stay at lovely waterside locations when you get there! How cool is it to not have to rely on mechanics and others to maintain your "vehicle"! I've only had a professional mess with my boat on less occasions then I have fingers on my hands in 23 years and some because I was lazy such as having the yard winterize my engine on two occasions.

All this comes down to a kind of personal freedom along with responsibility. With a boat you are kinda on your own so all excuses end right there. And that is the appeal for me. Then there is the marvel of "free energy" and the sheer beauty of sailing and boats and how cleverly they are designed (minimally) and usually without being wasteful. Boats teach us how few possessions we need to live well and be self sufficient.

What's not to like?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:28   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Spinx,
Welcome aboard! You'll certainly get lots of opinions here so stand by.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 14:04   #14

Welcome, spinx. From what you've said, I'd guess you'd be a lot happier with a trawler than with a sailboat. A sailboat pretty much requires total commitment. Of course, any boat requires a lot, but a trawler might suit your needs better.
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 14:07   #15

Not to dissuade you, of course. Sailing is far and away the ultimate form of boating, in my opinion.
oceansoul63 is offline   Reply With Quote