Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2013, 07:10   #1

Boat: ELAN 431 - 43'
pirate NEVER BEEN MORE READY IN MY LIFE.

Hi Every one. Name is Jack. I have an Elan 431 " Sirocco" she is 14 years old and goes like the wind. Been cruising the Med for a few years. Now looking to venture further afield. Looking forward to getting some tips from all you Old Salts and Saltesses out there.

regards,

Jack.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:19   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: NEVER BEEN MORE READY IN MY LIFE.

Welcome aboard, Jack! The Forum is a great place to exchange ideas...lots of places to go. Happy Sailing!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 22:53   #3

G'day Jack, I'm Chris.

In about 6 months looking to purchase something in the Med 43-46' for a cruise and eventually sail it back to Oz and the Elan is one I am interested in. I see you like them?

Cheers
Old 09-01-2013, 23:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Jack,

Hope you get what your after.
I just wanted to say hello and I think your choice of boat is perfect.
Maybe you will get downunder someday.
Sailing to Newcastle 30 Dec 2012 - YouTube

all the best
Derek
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jack.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:05   #6
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: NEVER BEEN MORE READY IN MY LIFE.

Hi Jack... Welcome to CF..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 00:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 30-09-2013, 04:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStorm View Post
Hi Every one. Name is Jack. I have an Elan 431 " Sirocco" she is 14 years old and goes like the wind. Been cruising the Med for a few years. Now looking to venture further afield. Looking forward to getting some tips from all you Old Salts and Saltesses out there.

regards,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

I'm preparing some years cruising, and I'm looking for the right sailboat (money/comfort/safety wise). And Elan 431 seemed a nice option. There's several ex-charters available, you bought a ex-charter? Do you like the boat? Do you have any advices when surveying this boat?
I was considering updating the sailboat, having a new rigging and perhaps change it to a safer standard, wider cables, and hading more ballast..
What you say about that?

If you have some more info please share..

See you

joe
Old 30-09-2013, 05:28   #9

Boat: ELAN 431 - 43'

Hi Joe,
Sincerest apologies for delay in reply,have been on charter for a few weeks non stop.
I looked at 40 different vessels before deciding on SIROCCO,…lan 431 team. I also looked Stateside at the Morgans which had good live aboard facilities, sailing capabilities,and comfort.
You will get many pros and cons for all vessel types, but my partner Valou, fell in love with Sirocco on day 1. She had looked at over 30 different vessels with me, some with more equipment than you can ever use, and some simply kitted out for getting from A to B safely.
I have NO hesitation in recommending …lan.They are typical Eastern European built. A little rough around the edges,but does what it says on the tin. If you do not want to spend a small fortune this is the way to go.
Surveying, what can I say. I had one English surveyor came to see the vessel took a photo, said yep I know this vessel all is good, 2000 euros kerching��. I am lucky, I am a commercially endorsed skipper, and have been delivering yachts for a long time, so told him thanks for his time go swivel.
You get to know where to look, and what you can't see, then you have to get out of the water and take a look, all the signs of misuse by a so called, "Master and Commander" will be there. In my experience most low hour sailors, hardly ever use sails, too complicated, so engines get plenty of use. I have a 50hp 33 kw Yanmar, She runs like a Rolex. 6000 hrs. Reflected in the price. Treat her well and she will never let you down.
I could probably fill a book about what you need, but there are plenty of them out there!!!!
Save your money, go with your gut. Plan your passages well. Keep a very good eye on the weather. Keep a very good eye on your boat, she will tell you when she needs attention. Most importantly LEARN THE ROPES, your sailing will be a real adventure.

Regards,

JACK.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStorm View Post
Hi Joe, Sincerest apologies for delay in reply,have been on charter for a few weeks non stop. I looked at 40 different vessels before deciding on SIROCCO,…lan 431 team. I also looked Stateside at the Morgans which had good live aboard facilities, sailing capabilities,and comfort. You will get many pros and cons for all vessel types, but my partner Valou, fell in love with Sirocco on day 1. She had looked at over 30 different vessels with me, some with more equipment than you can ever use, and some simply kitted out for getting from A to B safely. I have NO hesitation in recommending …lan.They are typical Eastern European built. A little rough around the edges,but does what it says on the tin. If you do not want to spend a small fortune this is the way to go. Surveying, what can I say. I had one English surveyor came to see the vessel took a photo, said yep I know this vessel all is good, 2000 euros kerching. I am lucky, I am a commercially endorsed skipper, and have been delivering yachts for a long time, so told him thanks for his time go swivel. You get to know where to look, and what you can't see, then you have to get out of the water and take a look, all the signs of misuse by a so called, "Master and Commander" will be there. In my experience most low hour sailors, hardly ever use sails, too complicated, so engines get plenty of use. I have a 50hp 33 kw Yanmar, She runs like a Rolex. 6000 hrs. Reflected in the price. Treat her well and she will never let you down. I could probably fill a book about what you need, but there are plenty of them out there!!!! Save your money, go with your gut. Plan your passages well. Keep a very good eye on the weather. Keep a very good eye on your boat, she will tell you when she needs attention. Most importantly LEARN THE ROPES, your sailing will be a real adventure. Regards, JACK.

many thanks Jack and good winds
Old 30-09-2013, 12:16   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Welcome aboard and happy adventures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: