Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 18:31   #1

Neophyte with the "Bug"

Hello everyone...

I've been reading through a lot of the postings on here and learned a ton. I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully to get some advice from those who have "gone before me"...

BACKGROUND
Born and raised in Kansas (not much sailing there) and recently moved to Washington State. I've had the pleasure of a couple day trips through Puget Sound and a overnight trip in Jamaica and absolutely loved the experience. Unfortunately, that's about it when it comes to sailing experience.

GOAL
I have 7 years until I turn 45 and have made that my objective to be ready for a full time cruising life with my wife. Initially, we would sail the Caribbean for 1-2 years before heading to (and hopefully across) the Pacific. From there who knows...

TRAINING
I have some experience with construction, woodworking and electronics; however, I know very little about sailboats. I am planning on taking ASA courses this upcoming summer (ASA 101, 103, 104, 105, 106) and continuing the following year with ASA 107, 108 and possibly ASA 118, 119 & 120 if needed.

Additionally, I am planning a Marine Diesel Maintenance course next winter.

I have signed up as a volunteer crew member at the local yacht club and talked my way in to some scheduled overnight trips with an employee from West Marine.

I plan to buy a small (22-26ft) trailerable sailboat this winter. There seem to be a lot of Macgregors, Clipper Marine, Oday, etc. that can be picked up for $3-6K with trailer and small outboard. I will also crew, charter and look at local "for sales" to help determine what we want.

THE "PLAN"
We're DINKs but not wealthy, so money will be a contributing factor. I have read through the budget posts on here and saw the $500 a month posts. While I applaud those who can make it happen, I don't think it is realistic for me. I do have some savings and will have some residual income of approximately $15K a year.

I am planning on purchasing an older seaworthy boat. At this time the CAL36, Pearson 365 and the Islander 36 are at the top of my list, but that can (and probably will) change with experience. I am hoping to find a boat on the east coast (FL?) in the $35-40K range knowing that I will need an additional $10-20K for repairs/upgrades and leave from there.
---

I know I don't have enough experience to say that the live aboard lifestyle is right for me, but that's what the upcoming years and experience are for...

I look forward to your thoughts, advice, suggestion and recommendations.
Legend1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 04:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Neophyte with the "Bug"

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Legend.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:23   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Neophyte with the "Bug"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I applaud your plan and especially about the taking courses part. If you are in the Seattle area look into the wooden boat club. Don't let another day go by without checking into the Center for Wooden Boats.
Don't decide now on which brand of trailer sailer you are wanting to buy. Look at all the available boats and check for quality. The 3 you mentioned are pretty much the cheapest you can purchase but look for well cared for and well maintained and the extras that come with the boat.