Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 20:09   #1

Need some help

Hello all,
I will be honest I am new to your forum, do not know much about boating in the ocean. A buddy of mine has a place in Florida and has a 28' Maco fishing boat. He is very serious and is a great Captain. He just purchased a 35' Cabo Express with twin diesel 450 cat engines. Great right? He wants me to accompany him from where he purchased the boat Newburgh, NY to Port St. Lucie FL. What am I getting into. He feels we can make the trip in a reasonable amount of time a week or so. He plans on crusing day and night. Will I need a chum bucket?? Help.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 21:02   #2

Quote:
What am I getting into.
I think you're getting into hurricane season aren't you ???
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 22:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
If he is paying the fuel bill and you have the time it sounds like a great trip. It's not an ocean crossing so if you have to you can get off somewhere.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:52   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
...He feels we can make the trip in a reasonable amount of time a week or so. He plans on crusing day and night...
Cruising day and night means he plans to stay offshore, and not do the Intracoastal Waterway. So, that would be about 1,200 statue miles, if you keep fairly close to the coast. According to the manufacturer, the Cabo 35 Express cruises at 27 mph, with an approximately range of 350 miles (Cabo Yachts, Inc. 35 Express Magazine Article)

If you have good weather, and can maintain 20-25 mph, you could easily do that trip in a week, including three or four stops for fuel. I assume he's had the boat thoroughly checked out and has put it through sufficient sea trials to ensure that it's seaworthy. You don't want to take a chance on at trip like that with a boat that hasn't been tested.

That could be a fun trip, properly planned, and with a sharp eye to the weather forecast.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
He wants me to accompany him from where he purchased the boat Newburgh, NY to Port St. Lucie FL. What am I getting into. He feels we can make the trip in a reasonable amount of time a week or so.
Planning the route would be the key. For yourself I would want to see a route plan and start to study up on the places and route. Route planning is all about options. You want as many points on the trip to allow for weather, changes, and problems.

Sometimes making the route a little longer makes for more options and ability to hole up for weather changes. Now that it is summer season thunderstorms are quite common and more severe weather is possible.

You really can't run day and night on the ICW. Many sections could be done in open water weather permitting. Your fuel range will set limits on how far out and how long you can run leaving some fuel in reserve should weather slow the progress and consume extra fuel. Not running day and night and using only day light hours still might be possible with two. Adequate rest is important.

Being in a hurry would be a poor choice. It leads to poor decisions. Disrespect for weather is punished severely.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:40   #6

Thank you everyone for the input. Route planning should be priority. Maybe I suggest a Captain who has completed this trip to accompany us? Does anyone know how I contact a Captain? Sorry these questions may be a bit strange, but I just want to explore all options.
Thanks again!
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:39   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
At 20 knts average for a 1,200 mile trip that's 60 hours total not counting stops for fuel etc.. This time of year even close to shore heading south into the northern current could be a bouncy ride for the uninitiated. Great fun to be sure and no reason not to go (there are plenty of places to tuck into along the way) even this time of the year. But I would suggest the chum bucket might be a good idea. Worst case your buddy could always drop you off at any dock along the way and you could call a cab to take you to the nearest car rental place. Lastly, heed Pauls post
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
At those speeds & distances; I’d recommend leaning rather than sitting, and getting an abdominal & back support belt.
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:08   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
It would not be prudent to attempt this at 20 knots: A. You'll stress the boat, B. you'll have no bones or workable joints left, C. You will not sleep or get any rest in your off watch time, D. You'll hardly be able to make a cup of coffee, let alone any food and D. You'll be at the top of the power curve drinking many more gallons per hour of expensive fuel. One could add an E. The number of extra fuel stops you would need would negate the speed of the passage in any case.

This, from my experience of taking a 50ft twin screw classic Chriscraft from BVI to Martinique, then a Heritage single screw trawler (never again!!) from BVI to Florida and lastly a 36 ft fast fishing boat from Florida Keys to Grenada.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
I think you're getting into hurricane season aren't you ???
Yes - surely you are. However - you are in an area of excellent weather forecasting and if close enough to shore can be listening continuously to the WX channel appropriate to the area you are transiting (off that coast its radiated at an extremely powerful level giving it a very good range).

Also - Hurricanes dont just "pop up" dontchaknow!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:46   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When you consider the cost of fuel. Not to mention the wear on the boat. What about shipping the boat, or trailering it?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:04   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Marlin, if he's going to do that trip in one week that means offshore, and with a 350-mile range, it means coming inshore and running inlets every day to refuel. The problem is, you can't rely on weather and inlets sometimes are impassable, and dangerous to enter at night. And if there's just the two of you--that means YOU are going to be driving the boat while he sleeps?

Sounds a bit like a mad dash south, and unless he's got lots of offshore experience with marathon runs of some kind...he might be pushing it too far for comfort, or safety. If nothing else, you have to figure this is hurricane season, you have to be prepared to lay up for a week anyplace en route if the weather gets too rough to go offshore. And traveling in the ICW, you can't just hit the throttles, there are speed limits and bridge openings to be timed, and going aground is not uncommon.

I'd say it is going to be an adventure--at best.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 19:50   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Marlin,
Welcome aboard! You've gotten some replies already. If he is a great Captain he'll not want to be hiring a Captain. They are expensive.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote