Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 18:15   #1

Need Loads of Help

hello there new to boating/sailing gig. so be gentle. can i leagaly sail coast to coast. what waters are safe. i do have other post as i am a novice. i just want to set off and cruise the seas. and maybe if possible pick up work on the way round. to try and stay out and about in the waters. i just fancie its the life i want. you may think of me as wierd. but its something i so want to do. is this possible??
captain wishful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 19:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain wishful View Post

i just want to set off and cruise the seas
This is the tricky part. Actual setting off can be a time and energy consuming project. Are you up to it?

Good luck! Ask specific questions and they will be answered.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 19:05   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome, put your kit bag over your shoulder and hit the docks, you never know where you might end up. Make sure your documents are in order so that you minimize any problems with the customs man.
Old 02-11-2010, 19:29   #4

sure am up for it

i am all ready for it. hope to be setting off in 2-3 weaks
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
To which coasts are your referring, captain? And what kind of boat do you have? Some more information about your situation and your plans would help insure more useful answers to your questions.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57   #6

unsure of whare to sail

the bout i am thinking of getting is a loftus bennet single mercury outboard 70hp. 2 birth. 1982 model. i would like to start from dover cross to france then follow the coast then towards spain. then who knows. the boat is 20' but depending on funds if bigger boat needed then have a look
Old 03-11-2010, 13:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ouch.... hope you've loadsa gas money... recommend at this time of the year you cross to France then follow the canals to the Med... seriously bad time of year to go along the coast of the Biscay.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loftus bennet.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	20777  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 17:18   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
I think so too - cross carefully with good weather and then get into the French canal system that will take you South. There is a fee for using the canals. Make sure you have a good heating system in the boat - it is already very cold in France, will be much colder soon.

If you are going to write a blog or a website on your escapade I would like to follow.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 19:21   #9

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
And why not? Thats what I intend to do but I have one MAJOR concern.....

FUEL!!!

Have you sat down and worked out what it'll cost you? I don't wish to be rude, but by the boat you describe, you're not a wealthy person so surely sail would be a better bet.

As for the 'legalities', the minimum you'll need is an ICC and of course make sure you have the appropriate insurance cover. Turn up at a foreign port without this document and they can seize the boat until you can provide it.

As for 'pick up work on the way', etc. Do you mean on shore or are you thinking about charter work on the boat? If the later, forget it. A, the charter market in Europe is at an all time low and B, you won't have the right kind of licence / insurance or boat coding to do it legaly.

Personaly, I have been mucking about with boats for years but only purchased my own boat at the begining of this year to do pretty much what you're planning. 10 months on board and I love it but it has been a VERY steep learning curve and i've now decided to sell my motor yacht to buy a sail boat so I can actually afford to GO PLACES!!!!

This forum seems to be a HUGE mine of experience from all over the world so i'd reccomend reading through it carefully and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you may have thought were stupid.

Good Luck!
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 20:12   #10

Boat: 1959 British Columbian Troller, 30' LOA, M/V "Puff"
hey there. I have a power boat too but it's for local cruising. know what your cruising speed/rpms are and what your gallons or liters per hour are and just do the math based on nautical mileage. factor in a 20-30% decrease in efficiency (multiply gph by .7) and a 20-30% increase in fuel cost (divide by .7) and you've got a good fuel budget.

don't forget about carrying oil, coolant, filters, impellers, an extra prop, tools, etc.

personally I'd have all of the above covered in supplies and cash and then if you DO get work it's an added bonus. if you don't get work at least you won't be screwed.

have the boat inspected OUT OF WATER by someone qualified prior to purchase.

best o luck. hit me up w questions.
mrwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23   #11

thanks every one. all feedback is good wether it be negertive or possertive. as for blog yea if all goes ahead. the boat as plenty of heating water tank">fresh water tank twin fuel tanks. cooker the works realy. yes on a small budget. not wealthy. work on shore but im most proberbly gona spend more time scuba diving than in the boat. but if you guys think i should wait a wile and get a bigger boat and up the funds then i will do as best advised
Old 04-11-2010, 07:35   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain wishful View Post
thanks every one. all feedback is good wether it be negertive or possertive. as for blog yea if all goes ahead. the boat as plenty of heating fresh water tank twin fuel tanks. cooker the works realy. yes on a small budget. not wealthy. work on shore but im most proberbly gona spend more time scuba diving than in the boat. but if you guys think i should wait a wile and get a bigger boat and up the funds then i will do as best advised
Wishful.... learn to sail.. then buy a Hurley22.
All that money you'll waste on fuel can then be put aside for your cruising budget... sailings not that hard and from what you've said you've got some 'quals' so navigation/rules of the road's already under your belt...
That way you'll have MUCH greater range in your ambitions.
Ok.. you'll sacrifice headroom... but hell, once you get somewhere warm its an irrelevance... well worth the exchange for seaworthyness

PS; the picture in my earlier post is 'Wishful's' prospective boat

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 13:46   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
There are many reasons why I learned to sail and one of them is economy and ease on fossil fuel. Although most sailboats have auxiliary engines they are very small and economical.
I always recommend a basic class for anyone who has not sailed.
Good luck on getting out on the open sea.
kind regards,