Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 08:57   #1

NEED HELP WITH THE BASICS.

I am 65 years young and in good shape, non smoke and non drink, love the water, minimalist @ heart, have started my ASI certification courses, some "bareboat" sailing as crew, done with "mainstream America", looking for my next adventure;

I am looking to narrow down my search for a mono hull sailboat that I can single hand sail (coastal to get started) and live aboard.

Requesting any feed back on the following;

Boat Design/Manufacturer; ??

Length; 30' to 34'?

Keel; full or cut away?

Displacement; ?

Tiller or Wheel; ?

Minimum navigation equipment; ?

Solar vs. Wind generator; ?

Diesel engine mfg.; ?

... plus any feed back on things that I have yet to consider.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
jhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:19   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: NEED HELP WITH THE BASICS.

It depends

What are your long term goals?

What is your budget?

How handy are you?

Is there a yacht club near you that you could race with and get to know the owners of various kinds?

We started by looking online for layouts that made sense to us.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32   #3

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I'll just comment on solar vs wind. Your other questions are too complicated to answer simply. After living on the hook for over 20 years with both wind and solar I would have a minimum of 400 Watts Solar before I would consider getting a wind generator. Unless you're in the trade winds or somewhere similar the solar puts out energy more reliably but after 400 Watts it's nice to have energy output at night and when it's cloudy. Wind and solar go hand in hand. Not 100% but usually it's windy or sunny. Sometimes both
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17   #4

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Minimal navigation is also fairly simple answer. First a good compass and VHF radio. Then a depth sounder, then a chart plotter. Then an autopilot. And of course charts of your area at the top of the list
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42   #5

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes View Post
I am 65 years young and in good shape, non smoke and non drink, love the water, minimalist @ heart, have started my ASI certification courses, some "bareboat" sailing as crew, done with "mainstream America", looking for my next adventure;

I am looking to narrow down my search for a mono hull sailboat that I can single hand sail (coastal to get started) and live aboard.

Requesting any feed back on the following;

Boat Design/Manufacturer; ??

Length; 30' to 34'?

Keel; full or cut away?

Displacement; ?

Tiller or Wheel; ?

Minimum navigation equipment; ?

Solar vs. Wind generator; ?

Diesel engine mfg.; ?

... plus any feed back on things that I have yet to consider.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Based on your requirements as mentioned, you will find hundreds of boats that fit the bill in your area of many ages, makes, styles, and riggings.

The bottom line will be that every one of them will have a plus or minus. Every feature is a compromise - these boats have been in evolution for a long time.

If you plan to liveaboard the boat, then most important feature is one personal taste. Get a good sailboat broker (specializing in sailboats!!) and start looking. You will rapidly find the ones that do and don't suit your tastes.

You only need to be fooling with keel types and the like if you have a specialized requirement - the only specific exception I'd make is that if you have any hope of sailing in shallow waters, you'll need a t-type, torpedo, or similar short keel design.

If you try to specify every feature of your boat now like you're entering a million dollar race, you'll spend forever trying to find it, just to find that you don't like the salon layout, or that it is too out of date, or not equipped the way you would like, or whatever.

Just look. There are so many great boats out there, many of them exceptionally outfitted and cared for, and many of those a great bargain to the person who is ready and willing to make the purchase.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:46   #6

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I'll just comment on solar vs wind. Your other questions are too complicated to answer simply. After living on the hook for over 20 years with both wind and solar I would have a minimum of 400 Watts Solar before I would consider getting a wind generator. Unless you're in the trade winds or somewhere similar the solar puts out energy more reliably but after 400 Watts it's nice to have energy output at night and when it's cloudy. Wind and solar go hand in hand. Not 100% but usually it's windy or sunny. Sometimes both
I'll add that solar and battery systems have advanced to the point that you should not have to bother with wind at all, unless you will definitely be in places with little or no sun. Even overcast conditions can generate enough PV power for minimalist usage.

Wind generators are noisy, and likely banned in many harbors. Solar will meet your needs, assuming you can find the space on your boat to install them, and there are many creative ways of doing that.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

My advice to you now: sail every type of boat you can get your hands on. Listen. Stay humble. Develop a sense of humor about your quest.And don't forget to live in a small trailer for a week straight (with out getting out) for reference.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I agree with Newt except for the living in a trailer part. There is no test for going to sea in a boat except for going to sea in a boat.

I'm a bit older than you and started your quest many years ago. Don't even think about project boats. If it isn't sailing when you buy it don't even think about it. Get something you can stand up straight in because the more you stoop when you're older the worse your back will feel. Easy access to the main deck from the dock is a plus. Easy access to the interior from the cockpit is a plus. A good boarding ladder is a plus.

My personal preference is something 35 and less and just enough room to get by with. The more waterline you have the faster she will sail so bow and stern that hang way out over the water look great but don't help much with interior space nor speed although it is beautiful. Double enders although many people like them and Westsails are fine cruisers are just not designed to go fast in anything but a fair breeze and are less maneuverable. Get fiberglass and a popular diesel auxiliary that you can find spare parts for.

Search here in the forum for what others have recommended to answer this same question in the archives.

Good luck in your quest.