Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09   #1
Registered User
 
Skabeeb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Navarre, Florida
Boat: Ericson 32-200
Posts: 70
Need Advice on 32' Ericson

I knew it would happen eventually. All I had to do was keep looking and looking, checking the listings on Craigslist, asking around, etc.

I got a call from a man who was referred to me by another sailor who heard I was in the market for a used boat for my wife and me.

It's a 1989 32-200 Ericson and appears to be in pretty good shape. He wants $23k.

We haven't taken her out yet but should in the next week or so for a trial run. The cabin has a decent main salon, a small v-berth, a separate shower/head and a small aft cabin. My wife and I both think the cabin is a little small but we could adapt. He said "all" systems will be operational before we take it.

Outside of getting a survey done by our own surveyor, is there anything else you recommend we look out for or do?

Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
Skabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California Coast
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Posts: 680
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

On the older models the mast was deck stepped. I am not sure what year they switched to keel stepped.
On the deck stepped models instead of using a compression post to support the mast to the keel they used a cross beam that was supported by outboard bulkheads. This was not a well engineered design. It was not strong enough to withstand the column load of the mast. If the mast step has sagged or settled this can be a fairly complicated and expensive fix.
__________________

__________________
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35   #3
Registered User
 
Skabeeb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Navarre, Florida
Boat: Ericson 32-200
Posts: 70
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
On the older models the mast was deck stepped. I am not sure what year they switched to keel stepped.
On the deck stepped models instead of using a compression post to support the mast to the keel they used a cross beam that was supported by outboard bulkheads. This was not a well engineered design. It was not strong enough to withstand the column load of the mast. If the mast step has sagged or settled this can be a fairly complicated and expensive fix.

Not sure if this is the answer but when you go below, the mast runs right through the cabin sole. Would that mean it is keel stepped?
__________________
Skabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,225
Images: 2
pirate Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Yes... she's keel stepped... suggest you check the base for cracking etc... tho' if your getting her surveyed he sould cover that and any evidence of 'Banana boating'...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California Coast
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Posts: 680
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Yes that means it is keel stepped. I kind of figured that by 1989 they had made the change. Not to worry.
E-32's are really good boats. Sails well and strong enough to take you anywhere.
Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Sounds like a good price too.
Liam.
__________________
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Quote:
Outside of getting a survey done by our own surveyor, is there anything else you recommend we look out for or do?
Yes, get the survey. Little things that can mean a lot are what you get a survey for after you basically look the boat over and decide you like it. You'll need it for insurance purposes too. Just don't fall in love until after the wedding.

Any boat this old has things that may work but have a lot of wear. This of course is subjective. Sails, canvas, and upholstery generally don't last this long. Plumbing hardware and engine accessories (stuff attached to the engine) can show a great deal of wear. Original rigging may be suspect. These are the things you may have to replace say in the next 4 years either planned or by surprise.

When you are on a budget and can't plunk down ten times that for a larger brand new boat you need to see the future a little bit and be ready. Lots of things you can do for yourself but others are not so much labor as just stuff you need to replace that costs a lot.

If you use the boat a lot all these things start to show up on the "list" and the list grows. If you don't use the boat much then the list won't grow so quick. Not using the boat much means you should not have purchased it in the first place.

It means you'll need more money later. Right now list prices on these boats are running $10K to $50K with the nice ones at about $40K. I would seriously consider looking at another similar boat or two before you hire the survey. The idea is you need to understand what a better Ericson 32 looks like and what a worse one looks like. YachtWorld.Com had a 1997 for $75K. The basic design can fulfill a lot of good coastal sailing and carry lots of stuff. Getting the most for your money means you know what the "other" real deal might be. Only real boats you saw in person count! Pictures never count. It becomes easier to see which boat has a lot more for the money if you just go out and see one or two. Personally, I would find the best one possible to compare. In a list of possible boats you could actually buy and saw it's better end of the list are the best choices for the money spent up front. They all cost you later but it's nice to start with a nicer boat.

On the surface this could be a good deal for you but what I suggest is you will know it for sure yourself. If you make the effort to date other boats you'll know the best one and you'll learn a bit more too. Be smarter or work harder.

Last advice: The Admiral knows a poor boat when she sees one. It's a universal boating truth.
__________________
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59   #7
Registered User
 
Skabeeb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Navarre, Florida
Boat: Ericson 32-200
Posts: 70
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Yes, get the survey. Little things that can mean a lot are what you get a survey for after you basically look the boat over and decide you like it. You'll need it for insurance purposes too. Just don't fall in love until after the wedding.

Any boat this old has things that may work but have a lot of wear. This of course is subjective. Sails, canvas, and upholstery generally don't last this long. Plumbing hardware and engine accessories (stuff attached to the engine) can show a great deal of wear. Original rigging may be suspect. These are the things you may have to replace say in the next 4 years either planned or by surprise.


Last advice: The Admiral knows a poor boat when she sees one. It's a universal boating truth.

You are so right about the survey and the infatuation phase! I made that mistake 10 years ago when I bought a 1965 38' Owens Cruiser with a wood hull! Ouch, that hurt so bad it almost ruined any hope of ever convincing the Admiral to even consider another larger boat.

10 years later, I at least got her aboard yesterday on our way to her birthday dinner (smart eh) to have a look. She looked and said it seemed like the cabin seemed small for how big the boat was.

On the way to dinner I asked her what part of the boat she liked the most, she said "the outside".

The seller is making it easy to do business with him, even offering to finance the boat. It looks like it would be a great place for us to start our cruising life for a couple years then move up.
__________________
Skabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19   #8
Registered User
 
DennisM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Paltz, NY
Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Posts: 603
Images: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Hi Skabeeb,

I'm heading into my third season with my 1990 Ericson 32-200. I love her. The advice about the mast plate is worth heeding, as mine was cracked when I bought the boat, but was very easy to replace once the mast was unstepped. The problem, though, was finding a source for the old mast plate. They don't make them any more, and the one I ordered, I had to shave down on one corner to fit. All is well with that now, however.

I'd be happy to offer my limited experiences with my Ericson by way of comparison, if you have any questions along the way. There are many more capable, experienced and informed sailors on this forum than I, however, and they have helped me immensely.

I may be able to offer some hints, though, based on the substantial amount of work I've done, and will continue to do, on my boat.

Don't hesitate to private message me if you think I may be able to help.
__________________
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34   #9
Registered User
 
Skabeeb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Navarre, Florida
Boat: Ericson 32-200
Posts: 70
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Hi Skabeeb,

I'm heading into my third season with my 1990 Ericson 32-200. I love her. The advice about the mast plate is worth heeding, as mine was cracked when I bought the boat, but was very easy to replace once the mast was unstepped. The problem, though, was finding a source for the old mast plate. They don't make them any more, and the one I ordered, I had to shave down on one corner to fit. All is well with that now, however.

I'd be happy to offer my limited experiences with my Ericson by way of comparison, if you have any questions along the way. There are many more capable, experienced and informed sailors on this forum than I, however, and they have helped me immensely.

I may be able to offer some hints, though, based on the substantial amount of work I've done, and will continue to do, on my boat.

Don't hesitate to private message me if you think I may be able to help.
PM sent
__________________
Skabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 23:00   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Survey is recommended.
kind regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 16:44   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Boat: Ericson 32
Posts: 1
Re: Need Advice on 32' Ericson

I am new to this forum. My wife and I have sailed our 1987 Ericson 32 on Lake Erie for 7 years now. Our previous boat was a 1987 Ericaon 26. The 32 has proven to be a very good boat and well built. If I can offer one caution it would be the winches. My boat has Barient winches which are very good except the company is no longer in business. There is a place in Autrailia that does offer some parts and service but that is obviously not like doing business with a local boat yard. Fortunately my winches are in good shape.
__________________

__________________
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ericson

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 1988 Ericson 34 pelicanito Classifieds Archive 1 22-02-2011 06:56
Crew Wanted: Ericson 46 kevlarpirate Crew Archives 6 12-12-2010 04:47
For Sale: Ericson 27 CenMarServices Classifieds Archive 0 23-08-2010 18:21
Ericson 38 - Thoughts ? dniello Monohull Sailboats 3 25-05-2010 21:47
Ericson 26 Newbie1 Monohull Sailboats 1 08-07-2008 17:11



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.