Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 05:32   #1

Boat: Ranger 28
Need a Little Help Here !

Hello all!!

I just registered to this forum and cant wait to chat with others! My wife and I just purchased a Ranger 28. We bought it in Missouri and trailered up to Duluth, MN. Talk about a nerve racking drive, but thats a story for another time. I need help with the rigging. I have not rigged a sailboat in about...lets just say never! I havent even sailed in 15 years, but its coming back to me. Anyways, the old owners painted the mast before I brought her home. Well when they did that they removed all the rigging. I think I have it all back together but I dont want to forget anything that goes on the top of the mast before it goes up. This is what is on the head so far. The fore and back stays, the upper shrouds (just below the head), the main and jib halyards. There is a spot for a spinnaker halyard which is just a toggle and a block with the halyard attached, correct? Are there any pictures anywhere that shows all this! I dont need the topping lift for the boom as there is a new rigid boom vang that accomplishes this. Any pictures or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
chad2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 08:07   #2

I'd go ahead and rig an extra halyard. It can come in handy..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 10:38   #3

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Maybe you thought about it ;)

I'm not familiar with the Ranger 28, and my english sailing terminology leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't forget about the lower shrouds, usually placed just under the spreaders. There should probably be two on each side, one a bit forward, and one a bit aft.

BRG Hampus
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 13:07   #4

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
Things that I have up there include an anchor light, a vhf antenna, a forward pointing crane for my electrical weather instruments, a double crane (stainless loops) for spinnaker halyards (and they have blocks and halyards on them), a block aft for the upper end of my Dutchman Furling system (which is also my topping lift), a visual windvane aft with the wire "V", and a small block aft for my 2nd long wire antenna for my SSB radio (My Ham Antenna is my backstay). Some Ranger 28's used for racing have a double slotted (grooved) headfoil and use a 2nd jib halyard. If my vhf antenna didn't interfere with it, I would also have a small cheek block with a flag halyard for a pig stick, to fly my yacht club or personal pennant from.

I have spent many hours crewing on a friends Ranger 28 and found it to be a good IOR design. I think it was designed by Gary Mull. It's a little squirrelly downwind with a chute in a breeze, as are most IOR designs, but it was rock solid upwind. The mast will pump in bad waves however and my friend did break one. The problem could be cured with a baby stay forward, and running backs aft, But most don't have them. Once the mast was repaired (with a sleeve) it didn't break again. Have a lot of fun with your new boat. Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 02:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Try the Ranger Sailboat Forum:
Forum: Ranger

Rhodes Ranger site:
"Ranger" built by Seafarer and Designed by Philip Rhodes
Including Ranger Spec’s:
"Ranger" built by Seafarer and Designed by Philip Rhodes

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 22:41   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chad,
Welcome aboard! It appears that experienced folks are already responding. Have a good sailing season.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:41   #7

Boat: Samson C Hawk
Great site

Hi
My wife and I are currently refurbishing our 50ft yacht we bought 3 years ago. I hope we can have some great chats with all the yachties out there.
We have been taking medical aid into papua New Guinea for 14years and have been hiring boats to get to remote islands so we cant wait to do this with our own yacht.
caps38 is offline   Reply With Quote