Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 08:41   #1

Need a Little Advice . . .

Hey there everyone, first post here.

So I'm 25 years old and have had a dream of sailing around the world (or at least a large portion of it) for about 7 years now. I've been reading up about sailing off and on thinking someday I'll do it. However I've realized that the timing will never be perfect so might as well do it now while I'm still young.

I want to buy an inexpensive sailboat that requires some work to get her sea worthy for maybe a year or two. I'd like to rent out my house and live aboard the boat at the local marina and slowly learn how to sail (bring it out on very calm days at first). I would want a boat that 2 or 3 people could live on for a short while to sail it down to the carribean but that I could also sail solo if need be.

My sailing knowledge is minimal and I'm still a little confused whether I should be looking for a full keel or fin keel, skeg rudder, shallow beam, low overhangs, etc. I live in Niagara Falls Ontario, I found a boat that is in my price range (<$10,000) within 30minutes of my house. I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on it and if you guys have any other suggestions or warning against certain boats.

Sailboat 1976 Columbia Mk2 34' PRICED FOR QUICK SALE - Ontario Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

If the link doesn't work; it is a 1976 34' Columbia mk2 for $7,900. Says it needs some cosmetic work, new life lines and battaries.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
zack
zs06yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:03   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Need a little advice

Welcome to CF.

You will get an array of opinion from "Go For It!" to "Yes, I dreamed of being a Fireman. But I grew up".

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:30   #3

Re: Need a little advice

Welcome aboard, Zack. You might want to search the Forum for boat suggestions. And, go to YachtWorld to search, to give you an idea of what's out there. Tehnw alk the docks, a lot. Who knows what you'll find.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:35   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Need a Little Advice . . .

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum Zack
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 13:17   #5

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

Remeber that you will be joining a community of like-minded sailors. It is important for a newcomer to adopt a posture of some humility - especially towards the sea in ways you can't even imagine yet, yet also towards seasoned sailors who have paid their dues to join this community. With this attitude, you'll make lots of friends and gain lots of tips and tricks. If you come in as a freeloader, you will be shunned, and your character disparaged, and it will make a huge difference to how you progress.

Good Luck - I suspect you are on the right track already!
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 15:48   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Here are 2 sources for basic data about the boat:
COLUMBIA 34 Mk II sailboat on sailboatdata.com.. More than 6000 sailboats, sailing yachts, dinghies and sailing craft listed.
Columbia 34 Mk II Specifications

Here are a bunch of original ads for the boat. Columbia Yacht Corp

The boat really has 7' headroom, I have been aboard. The liner makes the interior feel a little sterile and makes access to the skin for repairs, changes and emergencies difficult in various places. The Bubble top makes for a wonderfully large deck to work on. Possibly too large, rails for footholds might be in order for going to and from the bow in poor weather.

In general the boat has an acceptable amount of sail area for light air sailing. The Col26.2 that I used to sail on regularly tended to have weather helm problems. The 2.2 has a similar hull rig so I expect there might be similar problems. A bow sprit might be a way to alleviate the problem and increase the light weather sail area.

In the case of the specific boat in the boat I would investigate the motor more, is the Merc listed an inboard gas engine or what? Also what arrangements would you have to make to put the boat in the water and restep the mast, are there facilities handy?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:56   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It really is hard to give advice not really knowing exactly what your requirements are. The boat you have given the link to would be a great liveaboard and might be seaworthy but without a marine survey you won't know much unless you really are an experienced boatowner.
For example: Why would this boat have a 120 Merc outboard engine? That's more for a ski boat than a sailboat and most sailboats this size have inboard diesel engines.
kind regards,
Old 23-07-2011, 14:56   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
Remeber that you will be joining a community of like-minded sailors. It is important for a newcomer to adopt a posture of some humility - especially towards the sea in ways you can't even imagine yet, yet also towards seasoned sailors who have paid their dues to join this community. With this attitude, you'll make lots of friends and gain lots of tips and tricks. If you come in as a freeloader, you will be shunned, and your character disparaged, and it will make a huge difference to how you progress.

Good Luck - I suspect you are on the right track already!
Higgins, what's with the attitude and platitudes? We aren't on a boat where you're skipper or mate. Regardless of how many sea-miles you have with 30-odd posts it's not like you're an old-timer here. Talk about humility makes me think you want people people to un-questioningly accept your pronouncments from on high. Personally I want people to question my advice, it usually gets me to refine my views to take into account more variations in real life or refine my arguements for them and occasionally I change my mind.

And this is hardly a community of like-minded sailors, just look at the wars that go on over anchor types, mono vs multi, spade vs fin, Abby Sunderland, Charts vs plotter, big vs small, budgets, guns onboard, Hunters and Beneteau's offshore or more generally which boats are 'bluewater', these wars go way beyond respectful disagreement.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newbie | Hello »