Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2011, 19:36   #31

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Re: My four year plan

Best of luck with your plan!

We are mid plan (and still on schedule)-departure date spring of 2013.

One of the best tools we have to keep us focused is a sheet of paper posted on the wall. On the edge it has the one of those "thermometer" style graphs that we fill in with a red marker as we save the money needed. The top of the page has a box for every month we are counting down. We put a big black X at the end of each month. That would only be 48 squares for you!(and they go fast) We also have a short check off list for the biggest "mile marker" tasks and biggest expenses to tackle. There is also a small map, inspirational photo and quote. Both my husband and I enjoy checking things off. It also keeps us focused on the things that really need to get done to cast off.

Old 08-03-2011, 19:43   #32

Boat: hunter 28.5

Move the first half of year 4 to the year 1 spot , followed by the middle part of year 2, do the first part of year 3. Then do the first part of year 1 on your own boat and
eliminate the rest. Shazzam! Just added like 2 years to your life and saved you at least 5 grand for the cruising kitty.

captainpauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18   #33

Boat: Arima 15 Sea Explorer

Kindle, I have a picture of your savings thermometer in my head and it makes me grin! But in my head, instead of a paper-sized thermometer it's eight feet tall and it's held onto your fridge with about thirty large magnets, because you stole it from the front of your local library.

It sounds like you guys are really on the ball. I like your method.
Old 09-03-2011, 21:18   #34

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Culler View Post
Kindle, I have a picture of your savings thermometer in my head and it makes me grin! But in my head, instead of a paper-sized thermometer it's eight feet tall and it's held onto your fridge with about thirty large magnets, because you stole it from the front of your local library.

It sounds like you guys are really on the ball. I like your method.

Ohhh No, No, No... The point of keeping it to one, little page is so that everything seems completely doable. (Rebuild the engine, it's just one tiny little box to check off; deposit another thousand dollars, it's just one tiny little box to color in ) completely doable!

Now, the eight page, itty-bitty tiny font, inspirational quote void, ever growing "to do" list that has to get done in order to complete the one-page plan is a different story-It's huge, intimidating, and did I say growing. yup. But, it can be shoved into a drawer out of sight on those days that seem a little too overwhelming.

So, let your local library keep their yard art and have fun on your journey. Remember we are living it now-it doesn't start 4 years from now.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22   #35

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Sailing in good weather is a sound idea. My wife went through her first gale a couple of months ago and if that was her only exposure to sailing she probably would have quit the game right there.
Couldnt agree more with you. I have seen many people that after years of sailing, get caught in a storm or nasty stuff, and throw the towel in. Especially if you plan on cruising you will at some point "get your $% butt kicked" knowing what you or your S/O can handle or is capable of handling is , to me , critical.
If all you plan on doing is daying sailing, please ignore me

Our worst day so far we were stuck in 4-6' close seas and having to go into 50 degree water to remove a fouled crab trap that the seas hid, would have caused several to quit . My wife was trooper though the cold water didnt slow her down a bit
Old 13-03-2011, 21:59   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Re: My Four-Year Plan

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good plan. I'm into my 23rd year of my 4 year plan.
kind regards,
Old 13-03-2011, 22:53   #37

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post

One of the best tools we have to keep us focused is a sheet of paper posted on the wall. On the edge it has the one of those "thermometer" style graphs that we fill in with a red marker as we save the money needed. The top of the page has a box for every month we are counting down. We put a big black X at the end of each month. That would only be 48 squares for you!(and they go fast) We also have a short check off list for the biggest "mile marker" tasks and biggest expenses to tackle. There is also a small map, inspirational photo and quote. Both my husband and I enjoy checking things off. It also keeps us focused on the things that really need to get done to cast off.
To the OP. Your plan sounds a bit like mine. Except mine was a 3 year plan, and I'm already 1.5 years into it. So far, so good. Actualy, so far EXCELLENT!

As far as the therometer idea, and what not, I'm going to have to steal that. I keep a running tally of all that stuff in my head, and try to talk about it constantly. (easy to do, since I have a head for figures, but not spelling, and get obsessed with boats easily.) However, it's hard to convey all of that to my lovly wife. This might make it easier.

Thanks!
Old 17-06-2011, 13:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle

This is a great idea I would like to do too. We plan to depart on Summer 2013, and a poster on the wall would be great to keep us focused. Thanks for sharing!
Old 17-06-2011, 15:45   #39

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Hi Jeff, and welcome to the best sailing forum on the net.

Many, many years ago, I was the dedicated “Getting There” guy and my wife was a “Destination” person with not a whole lot of interest in boats that did not have shops, restaurants and swimming pools.

I already suspected that teaching your wife to drive a car was the first step to the divorce courts so I figured that teaching her how to sail offshore would be a similar disaster. So, I hired a female sailing instructor for a few days on the condition that I was the cook and gopher with no say in the handling of the boat and away we went.

Almost 100 hours later, the original 72 hour sailing lesson contract being extended at my wife’s insistence, we returned to shore and never looked back. She says the turning point for her was seeing me ordered around by a very pushy broad on my own boat but I know that it came at the moment that she made her first flawless tack.

Back then, female sailing instructors were rarer than hen’s teeth but these days, you will have no trouble finding one local to you. I don’t know if this helps but it worked for me.

James
Old 18-06-2011, 11:31   #40

Good idea on the female sailing instructor. I know there are a couple of all-women programs out there. "Womanship" is one, I think. But for now I think she'll just be content to be a passenger.

Well, next week, June 25th I head down to Panama City, FL for a week-long bareboat certification course on board a 50' Beneteau with Cap'n Pete and Reefrunner Sailing. Considering I've never sailed anything larger than a 25' Friendship sloop this should be a good experience.

I hope they let me crash it into the dock. I mean, deftly maneuver it into the slip. Hey, I used to sail my 23 footer with the unreliable outboard into and out of the slip; how different can it be?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25   #41

Recently returned from my ASA sailing course. A great time was had by all with lots of good sailing and snorkeling. Now I have the skills, confidence and certification to charter boats in the Bahamas or VI. I highly recommend the good folks at Reefrunner Sailing. [steeples fingertips] The plan is progressing nicely.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

gales are fun--is the lightning storms in gulf of mexico that sukk a bit-- the internal winds are great fun to sail but the spears coming at ye are something else.....
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 15:49   #43

Hello! Just joined after being a voyeur for the past couple of months.

We have a plan too, to buy a catamaran (likely an FP Lipari) and set off next July from Jersey (Channel Islands, UK) and sail to New Zealand (husband's home) with our 3 boys, who will be 2, 4 and 6 when we set off.

It's been great to read the threads and really appreciate everyone's generous knowledge sharing.

The first piece of the puzzle was to sell our 32ft monohull, tick, so now I'm juggling childcare with finding our dream boat and we're getting some really practical courses like diesel engine maintenance and electrics under our belts.

Just wanted to say 'hi'. Any time I think we're completely mad and it all feels a bit out of our reach, I just log on and read some of these threads.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, KiwiBean.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: