Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-03-2011, 17:19   #16

Re: My four year plan

Funny, the whole 4 year plan thing is very MALE. And of course you are married to a FEMALE. They think differently. She will not love being on watch at 3 in the morning. She will not like being cold and wet. She WILL like showing the kids a dolphin and it's baby etc. etc.

You wife must take classes also. She may get seasick. Big problem. A bareboat the the BVI would be amazing and if you are smart and plan your sailing she can go a whole week with no seasickness.

Your 4 year plan might become a 20 year plan. Who knows. Just get out on the water during that time and get street smart. You have to log hours and learn by doing. Especially if you have kids.

Good luck. NB

Old 04-03-2011, 17:43   #17

Boat: In the market for a 35'-40'er in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Culler View Post
Learn how to drink rum without Coke and ice.
The best rum for schwiggin out of the bottle if you are just starting out is Sailor Jerry. It is sweet, strong, and cheap. The bottles have a pinup girl on the inside of the label so it makes for a fun game. Oh and if you have trouble keeping with the burn, say AARRRR and drink more.

Old 04-03-2011, 17:54   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I think it's very good to be methodical the way you are, rather than just pining away for what you don't have. You are steadily moving toward it.

Our boat is shallow-draft, which makes a world of difference for young kids -- pull up on a beach or a sandbar and the kids jump out to play in shin-deep water. Let the tide go out and it's really a beach house. They can hop on and off as they please, go exploring with or without parental involvement. So for a first boat, to keep kids and wife happy, maybe think catamaran, or one of the beachable lift-keel boats (Shannon, Southerly, Ovni). You can do coastal cruising that way for 5 or 10 years, slowly increasing trip length, all the while plotting out your circumnavigation. . . .

(I also regret not having gone RTW when I was 22 -- but it's not too late!)
Old 04-03-2011, 19:13   #19
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Culler View Post
Learn how to drink rum without Coke and ice.
You might not be allowing yourself enough time to develop this particular skill.
Old 04-03-2011, 19:55   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I think it just comes with age. You wake up one morning knowing life is too short to water down the booze!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 20:16   #21

Boat: Westsail 33

Welcome aboard. Your considerate attitude will take you far with your beloved.
When we first made the big decision I had a plan to ease my wife into the sailing life, wanting her to enjoy her first big sail. We had agreed on a 'contract' of trying out the lifestyle for 2 years before reviewing whether we continue or sell the boat. Having light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak, meant she didn't feel trapped with no place to go. During an "event-filled" boat delivery she insisted I let her come for the remaining 100 miles. Reluctantly I agreed and we sailed off over the notorious Wide-Bay bar. While I 'fed the fish' she wore the biggest smile. The bigger the waves the more fun she was having.
So, I guess what I am saying is, 'Yes I think you plan has merit', but don't sell your wife's inner strength and ability too short. Mine turned out to be a better sailor than me in many ways.
Old 04-03-2011, 20:25   #22

Boat: Tartan 30

Hi, good plan, all you gotta do is keep taking steps forward and success is guaranteed

I would only suggest you reverse your schedule and take the Winters off for chartering and cruising instead of summers much nicer down south during winter months (at least south of Tampa) and not hurricane season in most places and not to mention, winter sucks when you gotta work...
Old 04-03-2011, 21:02   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Nice plan. Just be ready to change it at a minute's notice. I spent 7 years planning it and nothing went that way when I finally got the boat. However, it has been a hoot ever since, much better than I imagined. I am terrible at buying and selling so I thought it best to only have one boat in my life, which of course took a long time to find and pay for. Others would rather have any boat than no boat at all and if I had to do it all over again I might take this approach, but I can't offer advice on it. I don't have a wife so I'm out on that front too, but the cruising families I've met have just about the best adjusted and most self-reliant children I have known. Usually polite to boot. If I had any, I would want to raise them aboard. Can't think of a better life for them to grow up. As practical advice I would suggest you learn all you can about toilet plumbing. You'll spend a great deal of time on this subject. A lot of this available in this forum for free. Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2011, 17:09   #24
KEG

Talk about your plan everyday to everyone who will listen. Keep it alive and it will happen. Secret it away and it will disapear.

BTW welcome.

Matthew
Old 05-03-2011, 22:08   #25

Boat: Able 50

There are lots of blogs out there written by people cruising with children. They all seem quite positive about it, especially regarding the childrens' education in the school of life. Here are a few but if you hunt around the cruising blog indexes you'll find plenty more.

s/v Ocelot Cruising the World

Wind Dancer

Ruth - Kamaya's blog | YachtPals.com
Old 07-03-2011, 07:49   #26

Boat: Arima 15 Sea Explorer

Hey, thanks to everyone for the support, good ideas, and links! I'm signing up for the class this week and looking into sailing clubs around my area.

I had a Gosling's Black Seal rum with water and a few drops of lime a couple days ago. Pretty good! I'm not pirate enough to just swill it out the bottle, yet.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06   #27
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: My four year plan

[QUOTE=rebel heart;633609]
My wife used to live in France and wants to live there again. I'd much rather be on a tropical island, but I'd even more much rather be with my wife, so we'll do both.
QUOTE]

Rebel..... thats easily sorted... head for the Caribbean Islands of Martinique, Guadalupe and St Martin....
All French Tropical Islands... Language, Legal Systems and Customs......

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Reading this thread makes me feel nostalgic and old! None of my partners had ever sailed but introducing them to cruising along with our youngsters was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. My kids, in their 40's now, still remark about the great, if unconventional, life they had aboard. Planning and actually doing it as a family is challenging but unbelievably rewarding. Looking back, there aren't many things I would change. Don't forget that women have some of the best ideas not only how to provide the creature comforts aboard but in 'go-no go' decisions about weather and particularly destinations. Kids naturally just go with the flow and make friends in any anchorage regardless of the language. 'Where are we going next, Daddy' was a common refrain and I always replied, 'ask your Mom'. Just go for it, Jeff... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 07-03-2011, 09:31   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

I am now 5 years into my 6 month plan

Well, to be fair it wasn't much of a plan. as didn't really involve much planning.........nor any great dream of actually going anywhere.

so in a way, I have already succeeded

one day I may even leave the dock

Your plan on the other hand sounds likely to acheive some results
Old 08-03-2011, 17:23   #30

Boat: Westsail 33

Was it Spike Milligan who said, "If you don't have a plan then nothing can go wrong"?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: