Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 07:36   #1

Morning all!

Afternoon all,

So, I'm 22 and pretty much fed up with it all. Currently stuck (For all intent and purpose) in a crap Tesco job, far from the coast, inherited from my school years. I'm a pilot at heart, I think. The RAF was always my direction in life since I was small, failing that I would have found some other military existence and been happy. The recent years of spending cuts have seen my life, and respect for the priorities of what was once Great Britain sink beyond measure.

I've always asked the question 'What is the point?' since I understood the word have maintained a cynical opinion of modern society, and since I was a wee lad am proud to say that I've played devils advocate in most things but most importantly in life in general. Born-work-die... Sounds like a death camp motto to me. So much insensibility in modern society. Bureaucracy. Rules. Nonsense. Nations get to a point where they have finished the fight for survival, and like people with nothing to do, they find something. And kcuf it up.

Besides, they all take life so seriously. My sense of humour can't take it.

Finally onto the boaty bit. I have no sailing experience, no real time at sea. The odd pleasure boat round Portsmouth to see the Navy boats *Looks away nostalgically*, many Isle of Wight Ferries and Hovercraft trips (once in super-choppy water, so I am actually a seasoned sea dog) The real reason for the interest as of late is that Idea of self sufficiency. No paperwork, no rules, just survival and the ability to involve myself fully in trying to better my skills (I think that is where the crossover comes from flying). Everyone want's to travel the world, I am in a position to actually do it. But rather than do it alone, I have an idea....
Jollygreengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Morning all!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'Giant.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:34   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum.
Old 23-01-2014, 10:05   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Morning all!

Hi JGG.. Welcome to CF..
Ahhh.. the Hell of Tesco's.. try getting a transfer to a branch on the coast.. mind, that'll likely jack up your cost of living a bit

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:56   #6

Thanks guys. Haha, like hell is Tesco coming to the coast with me. The coast is for relaxing
Old 23-01-2014, 10:58   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here. If the sea is where you want to be then that's where you need to be heading.
There are rules and paperwork involved in sea travel and boat ownership as well. Even taxes, insurance and moorage costs so no matter where and what you choose to do there will be a bit of that stuff involved.
Good luck in your pursuits and let us know if we can help.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:02   #8

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollygreengiant View Post
Afternoon all,

So, I'm 22 and pretty much fed up with it all.
Wow, 22, really?

So, what is the idea?
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 05:02   #9

Naturally there is some paperwork and regulation involved but from reading around the forums nobody would seem to disagree that getting out to sea is a much more sensible option and, to an extent, stress free.

Maybe I did sound bit manic depressive above. It's not all that bad, more of a rational decision than an emotional one, and I wouldn't describe it as running away...As it might have sounded before.

As for 'the Idea', well, that's at the conception stage at the moment. In any case I'd like to, and have the money and lack of commitments that would enable me to sail into the sunset in one way or another but, like I say, I haven't got any useful sailing knowledge other than splicing the mainbrace and keelhauling various blaggards. Arrrr.

While we're here; who regulates the max permanent passenger limit on a yacht, can that be changed (with extra life rafts etc), are there any regulations on DIY construction (Weight an balance issues...)?

Are there any topics I can search for regarding 20~ people on a 100~ foot sail yacht, in an expedition yacht sense? Does it seem feasible to people on here that such a yacht would be able to cope, without defeating the purpose of being an expedition yacht? - I know it sounds like the book shop sketch from Little Britain, but anything to get started on this would be interesting.

'Margaret, Margaret'
Old 24-01-2014, 05:43   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Jollygreengiant;1448084

So, I'm 22 and pretty much fed up with it all. Currently stuck (For all intent and purpose) in a crap Tesco job[/QUOTE]

wow, at only 22 you sound like you have tossed in the towel already
Old 24-01-2014, 05:45   #11

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Margaret, why don't you just come out and tell us your idea and we can better understand what you want to do. Believe me, there will be plenty of folks here to both shoot down your idea and also applaud it but at least you will learn something.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 09:31   #12

Boat: Tartan 30

You seem like a feller needing a dose of Bracken:
Get yourself a 30-footer and go!
Flem.S.Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 10:05   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

welcome to the real world -- there is no pardise - it got lost and never came back - there are issues everywhere - if you can not handle shore side where there are rules wait till you get out here and run into a customs officers that his own set of rules -

can you escape - yes it is possible and in over 6 years of cruising we have met one young couple who have escaped - they are a very special couple with unique set of skills to survive with almost nothing - not sure how they do it but a lot of cruisers do look out for them as we did at times

life is tough regardless of how you look at it - and sometimes life out here is tougher than any job i ever had with a lot more stress -

so keep on dreaming and looking and researching and making money and hopeing wishing and praying and it will happen
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 13:03   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Here in the US there are rules regarding commercial passenger yachts. Our US Coast Guard has them all written for us. Inspections are required for commercial passenger use. For recreational yachts there are far less rules and regulations. There are no licenses for us to operate our own boats in Hawaiian waters if we do not charge passengers to go with us. The USCG can board and do an inspection to see if we are operating safely and legally and have all the proper registration and documentation to prove that the boat is owned by us. There is a list of required items.

Where you are might be a whole lot different and may be a whole lot more strict.

Check to see if there is class in boating that you might take to get you started. In the US even in the interior there are such classes operated by the USCG Auxiliary or the US Power Squadron.
Old 24-01-2014, 13:28   #15

Boat: P30

take the Who's "Quadrophenia" off the turntable?
welcome aboard.