Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 15:35   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,961
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmires View Post
RCYC has the J22's that you can rent for $20 on Sunday from 1-4p if you've taken their ASA classes.
Impossible deal to beat. Go for it SeaRags!
__________________

__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 15:49   #17
Registered User
 
kthoennes's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Posts: 289
Run, run for your life, stay away from boats unless you have a trust fund and no job. You've heard the old metaphor of standing under a cold shower ripping up $100 bills - but then break off the shower head, crack the shower control knob off, and then try to stop the water flow with a wrench that is too small, while a friend with a klaxon horn stands on the toilet and blows the horn every time you try to shout something. Now that's boating. Oh, and the toilet won't flush either. Or here, even better, it flushes onto the bathroom floor with a loud electric grinding noise.
__________________

__________________
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 16:28   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,961
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Run, run for your life, stay away from boats unless you have a trust fund and no job. You've heard the old metaphor of standing under a cold shower ripping up $100 bills - but then break off the shower head, crack the shower control knob off, and then try to stop the water flow with a wrench that is too small, while a friend with a klaxon horn stands on the toilet and blows the horn every time you try to shout something. Now that's boating. Oh, and the toilet won't flush either. Or here, even better, it flushes onto the bathroom floor with a loud electric grinding noise.
Yes, but if you don't own the boat then you can go have all the fun and watch someone else tear up $100 bills!

Example: I once crewed on a boat that blew out several sails during a weekend regetta (we were pushing it really hard)....about a $10,000+ weekend for the owner...zero cost for me...he even covered all the food and drink! Now that's fun sailing!
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 18:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Just noticed your are in Rockwall, TX....man you've got tons of options for learning to sail. Texas has one of the highest concentrations of sailboats on the planet and one of the highest concentrations of ASA sailing schools too.

I actually took my first sailing class, decades ago, at Chandlers Landing Sailing School right there in Rockwall on Lake Ray Hubbard. If they have still got their little fleet of J24's then that beats owning a boat...show up...sail a great little boat...go home...zero maintenance.

You may not know it yet, but there is a large, active sailing community in the DFW metropolitan area. Lake Texoma is big enough to be its own mini cruising ground and has several sailing clubs and schools. Check out Texoma Sailing Club at Grandpappy Point Marina (Texoma Sailing Club). Build some experience now and by next Spring you could be crewing in LakeFest Regatta....big event...great racing...big fun.
I have been on Lake Hubbered also ,thought it was rather shallow for a big boat ? Saw a few small sailboats and lots of the knee boarding boats that cost a bundle...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 19:39   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,961
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have been on Lake Hubbered also ,thought it was rather shallow for a big boat ? Saw a few small sailboats and lots of the knee boarding boats that cost a bundle...
I've sailed J's there quite a bit in the past. It is not a very big lake, but fine for day sailing and round the buoys racing. It does get shallow spots when the water levels are down.

Lake Texoma to the North is 89,000 acres at normal pool level...way big and deep.
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 20:23   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
My cruiser is on there. 36'. Largest powerboat (outside of houseboats) is about 55'. It does get some shallow places when down like now. But there are lots of sailboats. I'm just now gaining interest in sailing so I'm not sure of all the types out there although there is a tour company running "sunset sails" off some pretty big cats.
__________________
kmires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:55   #22
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 23
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Just noticed your are in Rockwall, TX....man you've got tons of options for learning to sail. Texas has one of the highest concentrations of sailboats on the planet and one of the highest concentrations of ASA sailing schools too.

I actually took my first sailing class, decades ago, at Chandlers Landing Sailing School right there in Rockwall on Lake Ray Hubbard. If they have still got their little fleet of J24's then that beats owning a boat...show up...sail a great little boat...go home...zero maintenance.

You may not know it yet, but there is a large, active sailing community in the DFW metropolitan area. Lake Texoma is big enough to be its own mini cruising ground and has several sailing clubs and schools. Check out Texoma Sailing Club at Grandpappy Point Marina (Texoma Sailing Club). Build some experience now and by next Spring you could be crewing in LakeFest Regatta....big event...great racing...big fun.

I'm signed up for lessons that start later this month at North Texas Sailing School, through Rush Creek Yacht Club. Funny you mention Texoma, I've been thinking how it would be good to have a boat there. I don't think Chandler's Landing has a school anymore. Maybe its now the Rush Creek School.
__________________
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 10:05   #23
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 23
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmires View Post
RCYC has the J22's that you can rent for $20 on Sunday from 1-4p if you've taken their ASA classes.
I'm signed up at RCYC for the class on the 25th. I'm definitely gong to take advantage of the J-22 Sunday deal.
__________________
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:35   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
If my schedule permits maybe I'll join you Searags! Which classes are you doing??
__________________
kmires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:24   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

If there is a sudden interest, I think why not explore some.

See around if there is any form of a club where people can walk in and become members and then use the boats and get some training. If there is no such thing, go on a holiday to a place you like (NOT in the mountains) and rent a beach boat. Tell the guard you are green. Experiment some.

Or go on a charter with friends. Caribbean, Bahamas - clear and warm water, some sailing, some snorkelling, good life.

If you find you do like it, stick with it.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 19:09   #26
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 23
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmires View Post
If my schedule permits maybe I'll join you Searags! Which classes are you doing??
I'm signed up for the "Learn to Sail" class on the 25th, 27-28th. Class might be full, I don't know. Check it out.
__________________
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:41   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRags View Post

I'm signed up for lessons that start later this month at North Texas Sailing School, through Rush Creek Yacht Club. Funny you mention Texoma, I've been thinking how it would be good to have a boat there. I don't think Chandler's Landing has a school anymore. Maybe its now the Rush Creek School.
Good for you!

Check out Texoma. Great mini cruising ground. Marinas, sailing clubs, and sailing schools too.
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 21:49   #28
Registered User
 
PUDDLE JUMPER II's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frisco, Texas
Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Posts: 112
We are also bitten with the Cruising bug and saving for a Steel Cutter to start out fitting her on Lake Texoma... Unfortunately -- we are still in savings mode, but consciously socking away $$ every paycheck... Would LOVE to meet anyone in N. Texas also thinking about cruising and or sailing on Lake Texoma...
__________________
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 20:50   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Aloha and welcome aboard!

You've got a crazy plan there. Thanks for your service.
kind regards,
__________________

__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.