Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:34   #1

Me, I am

As a newperson to this forum I shall introduce myself.

It fell upon me as an older person, the guy those college kids refer to as 'one of the ancients.' I've had the experiences of the introduction of the Age of Aquarius and now taking it to the preperation for the other side by way of the river styks.

It has occurred to me that having sailed since age 9, I might consider leaving the land, property tax, obligations to help raise the children -- it takes a village to raise a child -- and find that perfect scooner to play with as many sails on the blue water as I can afford.

I'm eavesdropping and offering an occasional opinion on this forum to prepare myself for the final adventure of my life. I'm an author and hope to live on the boad, turn my 60 screenplays into novels, and still enjoy some corners of the world not as easily accessable through home ownership as boat ownership.

Recently widowed, the idea of romance is not relevant, although I'm looking to love a wooden scooner of some length.

Tha, tha, that's it folks.

Steve S
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Me, I am

Hi... Welcome to CF.
Suggest you take on a live aboard proof reader..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48   #3

Re: Me, I am

Take on a proofreader because of what I just wrote, or one that is also good at Vollyball?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Schooner, scooner, whatever. If spelling were a threshold criterion, 90% would not be allowed to post, especially Americans with our outstanding education system, but I digress and will get booted for being off-topic -- I meant to just say, WELCOME :-)
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:00   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you are looking for, if it is big enough give me a jingle, I have a hankering for freebooting and wandering the high seas in search of treasure and adventure, not necessarily in that order. I'm thinking on the order of 100' to 300' in length. We'll have to hire some young guns to scale the masts.
Old 05-05-2014, 13:21   #6

Boat: Cal 2-27

Welcome to CF Steve!
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 14:32   #7

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Welcome aboard to CF Steve.....you'll enjoy this Motley Crew....take heed to Boatman and his suggestions on crewing.....can't go wrong

Life is Good if ya keepa Smilin.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:03   #8

The type of multi sail boat was seen scooting along the surface of the ocean and a Dutch lady said "Scoon! It scoons!" Hense the boat was called a scooner. The American english name became 'Schooner' and at this point, I'm shopping the whole wide world for one.

I like the fly the foresale and sail for the 'reach' as much as possible, so I'm after a Schooner with a fisherman. A Bermuda rig would be fun to own, and flying a voyager jib off the bowsprint might add some sail.

I just want to get away and get off the property ownership game. I had miserable experiences with the city and building permits, water rights, school tax. Now, California is over riding the Jarvis Gann Act with some additional tax; and the idiots won't approve a quarter of a percent raise in sales tax to save the libraries.

So long 'pooples' don't leave the light on. Shove off maties!

(For those of you who don't know about the Jarvis Gann Act, it has to do with the once yearly property tax adjustment. If you're over 55 your property tax is stabelized in California, last I looked, because the property tax is/was used exclusively for education those without children were made exempt by Jarvis Gann since the 1960s. Education finance management is flawed in California and cannot manage with increasing population and costs, so they're trying to overcome Jarvis Gann and milk the property owners using our greatly inflated property values. It's a great place to live with current high yield jobs for educated folks, but for the retired majority . . . a long schooner or scooner is my idea of modern times on the California Coast. And beyond.

I'm looking for a good proofreader to join me with my pal and his retired boutique owner to sail the Beagle route throug the Caribbean up to the tip of Maine and cross to Scotland. As a man, I don't mind quilting; but would rather manage a complexity of sails while we scoot along the ocean blue. Although, to have a warm quilt by the time we hit the American Cape of Cod would be nice. Awfully nice.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:13   #9

Ad Hoc

BTW typing on this forum is a slight mechanical task, because by the time I have typed a sentence the program shows the first half, only. So, I guess I don't know, really, what I am typing.

Proofreader on my lap is a good suggestion. Any more of any variety would give reason to participate on this forum. I'm looking forward.

(Yes, I see the errors in the post above ~"`

I love you, I love you, I love you all!
Angela the pet lover while she hugs the cats
Old 06-05-2014, 10:25   #10

OK, you are able to spell correctly most words (and write!). You can stay. And here's to you fulfilling your schooner dreams, whether they involve booting the tax man or finding a lovely proof reader
Old 06-05-2014, 14:27   #11

Any sarcastic tone that creeps through is an unfortunate condition of trying to be jocular (my word for the day). I'll certainly take a look at your Carmel book since I live sorta near there :-)

So, did Boatman already know about you being an author and having a proof reader onboard was an inside joke? It's funny either way.

Good luck on the schooner search! They're beautiful to watch scooting across the bay here, but it looks like it would be a bear to handle with all those sails.
Old 06-05-2014, 21:11   #12

Yeah, it's a bear to handle with all those sails. Can't become bored. Always a sheet to fiddle with.

I haven't bought the boat yet.

Boatman was being original. I got the que.

My step-sister's kid owns Cameron's Inn down the street from you in Half Moon Bay. Get a berger, send me the bill, and consider the proofreader job?
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58   #13

Coincidentally, I was planning to go to HMB for lunch today It also has been a couple years since I was in Cameron's so it's time for another try. Both of your offers are very nice, but I'll just counter with one of my own -- let me know if you're ever in the area, and we can go for a sail on Kynntana, which can practically sail herself though I'm never bored.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:30   #14

I'm goin' up to The City tomorrow. I'll be at the Marine Memorial Club on Sutter. I love Kulotos, if you care to join me. Be selling some antiques.
Old 07-05-2014, 22:36   #15

Oh, funny, you already live in the area! Did you really counter offer my counter offer?Dinner sounds really nice, but I can't get away tomorrow. I'll certainly look forward to meeting you another time and hope to hear more on your schooner search.