Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 18:28   #16

Boat: too many
Re: Me and My Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Bound View Post
Thanks for the warm wishes swagman, gelfling and breakaway! I've started another thread in the liveaboard section if you want to see how my plan shapes up! Swagman, I'm definitely trying to stay on the + side of 40 with two good options at 43' and 46' right now, and according to Gelfling's advice, after narrowing the field I will simply let the "wench" decide. THanks for the advise Breakaway, I've noticed about a half dozen beneteaus in the 38 - 43' range for sale in the area. Most are mid 1980's boats in my price range, I was wondering why so many, guess that explains it... Whats the general feeling about the Beneteaus?
You might want to call her the Captain so you can accept taking orders. If she wants a big beamy boat for the interior space, that closes the door on a Cal 40, but it is a very fast, easily driven boat, and for being short handed, that is a nice feature. On your watch, running full canvas ripping along at 12+ kt, right before her watch, take a reef and furl some of the headsail in, settle down to 6~8 kt and tell her "see you in X hours".
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 23:03   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Yup. IMHO call her anything but wench.
There's absolutely no doubt it's the highest know reason guys give up cruising, so keeping the spouse happy has to be top of every list.
Enjoy
John
Old 20-03-2012, 12:02   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard Coastie,
Good to have you here. I've never heard of the sabbatical option for the Coast Guard. We certainly didn't have it in the Navy while I was there.
Your long distance transfer reminds me a little of when I got transferred from west to east coast and drove from home in Oregon to Florida in the '60s with my and my wife's personal belongings. All across the U. S. in my '57 Beetle. Cost me $36 in gas and oil. Amazing times!!!
kind regards,
Old 21-03-2012, 09:47   #19

Hi John, Thanks for the welcome! Its not actually called a "sabbatical", it's termed a "temp sep" or temporary separation. Typically is used by members who have other career opportunities they want to pursue of finish school, but aren't entirely sure is going to work. The Coast Guard uses it when they have low attrition rates and need to make room for new blood. Usually individuals that go on temp sep don't come back! What a difference 50
years makes! We plan on road tripping as well - from Kodiak to Orlando (there's a boat in there from Kodiak to Homer, AK). Although we don't plan on driving in the straightest line possible, are gas budget is $1500! Hope you still got that VW!
Caribbean Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 14:18   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Geez, I wish I still had the old bug. Probably the best quality auto I've ever owned. Not very fast though. Would do 65 downhill with a tail wind.
Good luck on the temp sep. That sounds like a really neat deal and have a safe road trip.
kind regards,
Old 21-03-2012, 14:33   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Great plan. What an opportunity you have there. I am Navy so can relate. We have a temp sep as well but is usually reserved for education or some sort of family care issue. Hope your plan works out. Lot's of boat buying opportunities there in the islands. It might be difficult with Hurricane season so plan for that insurance wise and hurricane preparation as well. I wonder if you can get insurance on your boat there that will cover hurricane damage?

Enjoy your tour there!
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 14:39   #22

Sounds like a good plan with just one flaw...

you wrote, "Step 7: At end of one year sabbatical resume life as normal, or..."

Plan on the 'or'. Your "normal" may very well change!

Good luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 15:35   #23

Boat: Oyster 53

Caribbean Bound,

The planning, while it takes forever (or seems to), can be one of the most exciting things about the trip. Your plan is logical, well reasoned and I am sure it will work. I have planned, scrimped and saved and made two successful "escapes" and we are now working on our third so like everyone else in this thread we can relate and only wish you the best.

One thing I would add is no matter how nice the boat looks when you buy her you must have money put aside for repairs, or for just a general refit. Don't spend that $75K on the biggest boat you can find and have nothing left over. I have done two refits on my last two boats. They were both in great condition when purchased but needed among many things: new standing and running rigging, new sails, new anchor chain, new auto pilot, new radios and electronics, new safety gear, new propane system, new life raft, new dinghy with o/b and the list goes on.

On my first refit I spent 100% of what I paid on the boat to get her bluewater ready. On my second boat, a little older and wiser, my wife and I lived on board for a year refitting her and getting to know all her systems before we took off. That time we spent about 30% of the purchase price getting her up to offshore capability.

Keep reading, asking and putting those pennies away and you'll make it.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 21-03-2012, 19:14   #24

Boat: Samson C-Hawk

I think your plan is awesome. Welcome, from one newcomer to another with similar sights

NoDogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 11:16   #25

Hey Nate,
First, you realize that by all the measures in this forum you are a lucky guy.
After that, do you have time to read? or basically, have you read Homer’s Odyssey?
Wishing you a continues good luck, I strongly recommend reading that book.
Once I read it when I was in high school and rushing to grow up and set sail, and once recently, after 40 years of sailing. It is amazing how much one misses when young and planning.
May Zeus agree with your plans.
wishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:46   #26

Great plan! It sounds identical to mine! Alaska to VI! I'm hoping to find a boat by next fall and head out after hurricane season ;-) I stopped into the CG offices yesterday in Anchorage to get inspection and equipment information required for CG documentation. I'm hoping to find the right boat closer to the VI...I have no desire to sail from AK :-)
VFR2BFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 13:03   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbean Bound View Post
Step 7: At end of one year sabbatical resume life as normal, or...
When I first punched out to go cruising, my plan was to cruise about half the year and work the other half of the year. Something that never crossed my mind, was how difficult it would be to make re-entry into the "real world". I just assumed I would pop back in and go to work.

My pre-cruising work environemnt was very intense, 110% throttle all the time, full-time travel, very long work days were the norm (I actually remember thinking of 12 hour work days as "short" days...).

What I discovered, was that when I returned I just was not interested anymore. I attempted to get motivated and focused again, but just did not have "the fire" anymore. Fortunately, I was one of the owners of the company so no one was going to give me the ax. But, I never really made effective re-entry. So, I decided to fire myself! That was in 2002, haven't had a real job since.

I don't know how you prepare for this possibility, but what you do after the sabbatical is something to think about anyway.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote