Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2007, 13:42   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

I think you have made a good choice there - nothing too ambitious time wise as a first project - and IMO a good looking boat at the end of the process! (and IMO the "proper" number of hulls!).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 02:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
Not all women can overcome their fears and anxiety and find a love of sailing. Some things just don't fit to some people...

We could go on and on about the reasons sailors obsess about it... but the fact is that this obsession is very complex and broad and not everyone can embrace this range of skills, desires and attributes. Many can love some aspects of cruising, but not others...

...It's really a very complex path to take a landlubber and plant the passion for sailing and nurture it to the point where that person is chaffing at the bit to slip the lines and sail into the sunset.

Good luck... You'll find a lot of help in all aspects of sailing and cruising on this site. We're enablers... hahahaa

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
I'd only change Jeff's wording to begin: Not all people can overcome ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 08:26   #18

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')
Ok, so one more from the woman's angle. I've sailed my own boats (12-37) for the last 30 years. Mostly now a single hander... because I'm tired of males who think that because they are male somehow that makes them a sailer and because we are women somehow that makes us not a sailer. Actually have had some really bad experiences with men.. one who caused the mast to come crashing down because he decided a bolt needed loosening. Didn't aske first either. I decided not to marry the last fellow because he took the winch handle out of my hand and said "I'll do that". It was MY boat.

OK so now to the advice.

Forget the he/she stuff. You are no more experienced than she.
Since niether of you are sailors... you should both take lessons. She hers and you yours.

Get or borrow or go along with someone that sails and does not yell.
No yelling ever for any reason. I used to work with surgeons and taught my techs that when the surgeon yelled it was because he was terrified. Remember that when you feel like yelling...it is your fear.

No one likes to do a thing if they are afraid. Make safety and fun the reason for sailing. Never go out if the weather is bad... and come in if it gets bad.

Women are different from men ... we learn to use leverage ... and ask directions.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 08:28   #19

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')
ps. I sail with a friend who has a boat and is afraid to sail it.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 09:43   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patn44
Women are different from men
Ain't that the truth! (Gawd bless their little cotton sox ).

So what are best frying pans to use onboard?................to hit the mutinous crew with?
Old 21-01-2007, 10:25   #21

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Don't have a boat yet?

I don't know how it works in the Army but when Aye was in the US Navy, we could apply our housing allowance toward the rental or purchase of an off base appartment, house, mobile home... or boat, provided we did in fact live aboard the vessel. And many coastal military bases have marinas and / or small boat harbors at very reasonable rates.

A friend of mine played the program so well that by the time his six year naval enlistment was up - he was the proud owner of three sailboats... all payed for by the US Military. The largest was a fine Cheoy Lee 41 upon which he & his family are presently sailing around the world.

With ten years remaining in your military career you may easily be able to retire with a paid for bulkhead to hang your discharge upon, complements of the US Army.

I suggest you speak with someone at your base Credit Union and stroll the docks in nearby marinas. I believe you'll find a number of retired soldiers & sailors in your area who would be willing to offer creative boat financing to a young married, active duty soldier who shares the same dream he once had.

In closing... although they sure do look, feel and smell nice, I'd steer clear of wooden boats and focus your search on modern fiberglass designs... unless it is your dream to become a full time carpenter whithout the benefit of being able to use a hammer, square or level.

I salute you.

Carry on,

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 11:42   #22

Boat: none yet
Thanks a lot for a woman's point of view patn44. My wife is way tougher than me sometimes and I wouldn't dare yell at her because I know she would kick my butt!!! She's a small girl but she's pure toughness.

as far as having uncle Sam buy me a boat, I really wish I lived closer to the coast so I could live aboard. However, Ft. Bragg is about 2 hours away from the coast and the daily commute would just suck but it might be worth it. I'd definately have to run that idea by Mrs. Krenzer. I think she likes living in a house to much to do it though. Someone posted earlier that a woman needs her nest and she's definately one of those who wants her nest.

as far as what our hull wil be built of, my wife took one look at teredo worms or "ship worms" and flat out said F no to wood and it made me think twice about it too. You gotta admit though, the old wooden boats are beautiful and I have nothing but respect and admiration for those that go with wood. I think I'd rather spend my time saiing a boat than fixing it.

thanks a lot to all
Old 22-01-2007, 03:02   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Followed the links from the Thread on "Pirate Attack" and found..........

Love Sail