Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50   #1

Making a Plan

I recently sold my Pearson 35 Sloop and have already begun formulating a new plan for new adventures.

Southward, a Four Year Plan

I look forward to picking everyone's brains in the years to come.

Cheers
rbaty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:48   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Making a Plan

Hi,

This must be an American thing to make such long term plans (4-year). In other parts of the world, people mostly get a boat and go. Not to say on the impulse (yes, there are also those who go on the impulse, but let us not set them as examples to every one) but basically say the long term plan (re-group, get rid of junk, get a boat, go) would be say one year or so. More only if the planning party has nil sailing skills. Less only when the planning party has nil contact with reality.

Now given you are in Alaska, I can see why your plan may take a little extra. Then again if you forget the part of buying elsewhere, bringing her home, then going South, I think you can easily save a year or so if you just buy the vessel where you want to start your trip and save yourself the extra cost, time and effort of bringing wood to the forest.

Otherwise I just say stick to your guns, focus, get skills, get craft, go. Life "out here" (so to say) is not anything better than landlife BUT it is different, and you may like this change for a time. Do it, see how it feels, then decide whether you like it or not. There are far more crazy things in our lives than following the dream.

Good luck, all the best in all 2016 and beyond!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:55   #3

I know I could accomplish this trip much sooner rather than later. I've done it before with my last vessel. There are many more variables at play here.
This is not simply a recreational boat I'm bringing home, but a vessel that is going to be a live aboard for my family, as well as a cruising vessel that will take us down the west coast of the US and eventually into the Caribbean.
We're not looking to do this on a bucket of savings. Instead, we'll work as we head down the coast.
One of the biggest things for us to consider, which has made this into a much more drawn out planning process, is my wife's current job as a flight nurse. To gain four more years of experience, as well as four more years put into her pension from her employer, is very important for the future.
Then there's the house we currently own. We're putting a lot of money into it, and we'd like to enjoy it for a while.
That being said, I know this could happen sooner rather than later, but we told ourselves four more years in Juneau, and that will help us create this lifestyle appropriately, not afraid it will end abruptly should we make a mistake along the way.

Plus, boats in Alaska come with the premium of their already being here. It's honestly cheaper to look at Seattle and bring one up... I made a profit selling my last boat when I did it that way.
rbaty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:03   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi,

This must be an American thing to make such long term plans (4-year). In other parts of the world, people mostly get a boat and go. Not to say on the impulse (yes, there are also those who go on the impulse, but let us not set them as examples to every one) but basically say the long term plan (re-group, get rid of junk, get a boat, go) would be say one year or so. More only if the planning party has nil sailing skills. Less only when the planning party has nil contact with reality.

Now given you are in Alaska, I can see why your plan may take a little extra. Then again if you forget the part of buying elsewhere, bringing her home, then going South, I think you can easily save a year or so if you just buy the vessel where you want to start your trip and save yourself the extra cost, time and effort of bringing wood to the forest.

Otherwise I just say stick to your guns, focus, get skills, get craft, go. Life "out here" (so to say) is not anything better than landlife BUT it is different, and you may like this change for a time. Do it, see how it feels, then decide whether you like it or not. There are far more crazy things in our lives than following the dream.

Good luck, all the best in all 2016 and beyond!

b.
First...welcome to the forum rbaty. Yes barnakeil, it seems to be an American thing. I've seen as far out as 10 years. Life causes plans to change. Yet, just working towards a goal isn't enough. There seems to be a need for a Star Spangled work up. I think some might get trapped in living the dream before hand. I started my blog a year before and it seemed to work out ok. I think I was just plain bored.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:22   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Every case is different and we all have our hows and whys.

Just think of it, there are people who dream of sailing South and venturing into the tropics. Meanwhile I am sweating under the tropical sun and dreaming of Juno, Alaska ;-)

What a shame ice sailing has never developed into the cruising modality: given the beauty of the landscapes up there, the vastness of the land and the availability of winter anchorages, I am sure OP could enjoy the South while I could be cruising the frozen lakes and fjords.

As is, we will likely meet one day in Martinique, Antigua or some other (too hot, too crowded, still strangely attractive), spot!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 00:05   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

rbaty2,

First off, welcome aboard--this is your 5th post. So, while you have winter, we are enjoying daylight here from about 0500 to 2115 or so, where we are now. However, once we were based in CA and planning to "go cruising."

Friends from AK bought their cruiser in Seattle and took her back to Anchorage, and got ready to go, and I think it is a reasonable plan, as you outlined it. After all, you guys get to decide the pace of your adventure. I hope it works out as well for you as it did for our friends. Enjoy.

Ann