Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 21:39   #1

Boat: The Search Is On!
Made The Move... Sort Of.

The Big Move,

We recently moved from Montana to the Suncoast of Florida. A 2,400 mile drive but it took us 4,000 miles driving since we drove out the way, a bit. It was no easy task getting here from there, between selling the house and downsizing to a pallet load of stuff, about 4ft high and trying to get the rest to fit in the car was an epic story. We blasted through the winter storm "Atlas" to arrive down here and into 85+ degree weather. A nice welcome! Our reason for the move to FL is to seek adventure! ...but we find we are getting stuck having to refuel the Kitty but alas its only temporary

We need help with the "Sort Of" part of this post's title. I'm pretty green when it comes to sailing and so is the wife, but we want... need! to learn how to sail, the faster the better, so any advice is very welcome. Our main objective is to get our feet wet to go from our current state of "landlubbers" to buying a sailboat and sailing through the Caribbean islands and beyond! Is this possible in about a years time? The wife is on board with this idea, however she doesn't seem to like my other idea of crossing oceans in a sailboat, go figure I wouldn't either until we know what we're doing. My 1st question: Is where is the best bang! for my buck when learning for two? I know of the ASA program and the courses are nice, and in fact I took a couple, however there has to be alternative learning methods that I'm not aware of, especially being new to the area. 2nd question: where does one go to get to know the sailing community down here? Meeting new persons that share the same interests would be great! I would love to be able to see how different cruising sailboats sail, to get a feel of what kind of sailboat works for us before we buy, get advice and chat about life's adventures.

Thank you all in advance for the help!
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 22:07   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Made The Move... Sort Of.

Welcome to FL! Where exactly are you located?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 23:48   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Welcome to FL! We made our big move a little over a year ago from Colorado to West Palm Beach. There are some sailing clubs around where you can meet like minded people. We belong to the West Palm Beach Sail club and they teach ASA classes. Many members own boats (like us) so there might be opportunities to sail with people you meet there. Have fun!
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Welcome to FL! Where exactly are you located?
Thx, just north of Sarasota in Bradenton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Welcome to FL! We made our big move a little over a year ago from Colorado to West Palm Beach. There are some sailing clubs around where you can meet like minded people. We belong to the West Palm Beach Sail club and they teach ASA classes. Many members own boats (like us) so there might be opportunities to sail with people you meet there. Have fun!
Thx! Glad to be here
Been to Denver many at times! They have a very enjoyable downtown and now a giant IKEA, that thing is enormous! to say the least... Joining a boat club seems like a smart choice. I'll have to peruse the internet and see what I find in our area. Thx! for the suggestion
Old 06-02-2014, 10:00   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

Where did you live in MT? Lived there from 89-2000 around Bozeman. My favorite mountain state.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

If you are in Bradenton you should check out Regatta Pointe marina, there are alot of liveaboards there and it's easy to meet people. I'm sure there are also some bulletins posted about sailing classes, etc.

There is a boat show the weekend of the 15th in Miami if you are able to get down there. Tons of information on local sailing, boats, etc.

I'm located in Sarasota and I just bought a boat in Maryland. Once I get her back I'll either be keeping it at Regatta Pointe or St. Pete. Perhaps we could get together and do some sailing.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Where did you live in MT? Lived there from 89-2000 around Bozeman. My favorite mountain state.
The college town of Bozeman that's where my cousin lives. We lived in on the westend of Billings for quite some time. I would've have been in Oregon, however between 92-2002 before I moved back to Billings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
If you are in Bradenton you should check out Regatta Pointe marina...
Will do! I'd be more than happy to bum daysail! Have a fun & safe trip down. Best of luck on your travels! What kind of sailboat did you buy?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:34   #8

Checked out Regatta Pointe Marina over the weekend. I can see why you plan on having a slip there, it's a really nice marina. Not mention, with tons of Island Packets for sale.
Old 16-02-2014, 18:33   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Sailing Clubs or Yacht Clubs are two ways to get to know folks. Also walking the docks at the local marina will help if you aren't too aggressive and show an interest.

The last time I drove to Florida was in '66. Took $36 dollars in gas and oil to get there from Oregon in my '57 Beetle. It was packed full of all our household treasures.
Old 16-02-2014, 21:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Sailing Clubs or Yacht Clubs are two ways to get to know folks. Also walking the docks at the local marina will help if you aren't too aggressive and show an interest.
The last time I drove to Florida was in '66. Took $36 dollars in gas and oil to get there from Oregon in my '57 Beetle. It was packed full of all our household treasures.
Thx! I've always wondered how to randomly ask boaters in marinas about sailing since they are so often behind gates around here... $36 from OR to FL now that's a bargain! I think we spent close to $500+ in gas alone from MT this time around.
Old 26-02-2014, 10:51   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hi Dave, Tell me more about Regatta Point. We have a Beneteau 393 that we want to move to Florida when I retire this fall. Planning to live aboard for a couple of months as we update electronics before we sail the Caribbean for a few years. Sarasota is one area we are exploring.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote