Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2007, 16:33   #1

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
MacGregor Owner of the Future

Yes, it's another new comer....
A middle aged (50) old guy that's just about had enough of the business world and is ready to spend some years diving and sailing where it's warmer.
Planned on a Mac 65 to use as a scuba diving charter base and run it around the Belize, Pananma, Aruba area first and then maybe up more north in the outer islands. Not sure yet, still putting the finishing touches on the plan.
I'd appreciate, and view with an open mind, others experiences in related fields of business. Feel free to speak your mind. I think I know what I know, but I think I don't always know enough of what I should know. Did you get that?
I'll probably just read for awhile instead of making a dumb ass out of myself and speaking before I know the subject.

Later

Dennis
cdennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 17:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Well Dennis ... that is a LOT of boat, and IMHO, pretty narrow of beam and lacking some of the niceties that most cruisers/sailors enjoy. Also, doesn't that have something like a 7 foot keel on it? Bit deep for your intended cruising grounds.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 17:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am not familiar with the boat. What I am familiar with is several very large boats around here that are ex-Scuba charters looking for buyers. Scuba chartering is comptetive and expensive.

Scuba chartering takes tremendous local knowledge, the "right" boat set-up and is frankly a hell of a lot of work.

If the plan is to live on retirement income, own the boat outright and do some weekend Scuba charters then I think it's great. After a life in business trying to make a "killing" in Scuba charters is too much work IMO.

Around here we have guys doing lunch and dinner charters. They cater in food for 15 and sail / motor around the bay. They don't make a lot of money but they seem to be suplementing income. They get a lot of referals from the club.

For diving or chartering you need spacious open decks and easy access to the boat. A very big swim step/platform, walk through or open transom etc.

Good luck!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 18:42   #4

Boat: 1982 Dubois 42ft Alloy ex 2 Tonner
I have not heard anything favorable about a Mac 65 except that they are cheap for the size. Even then, the reason for the cheapness became evident on the first coastal trip.

Apparently a soggy noodle had less flex that a Mac 65 in a breeze and seaway.

I cant speak from experience, but they sound like a boat that would need alot of reaserch to be done on it before you commited money to it.
Seaquesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 19:06   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I have friends with a Mac 65. It doesn't sound like an ideal boat for what you're describing.

How about a trimaran with hard side decks or a catamaran?
You would get deck space without having to get all that hull length, and it would draw a lot less water.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 20:34   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dennis,
Welcome aboard!! I'm glad you said that we could speak our minds. Most of us would have anyway.
There are a lot better boat for what you have in mind than the Mac 65. People have already said that. They didn't say that it is way too big so I'll say that. If you plod up and down the docks at the marinas and take a look at what folks use for diving and then apply the same principles to a sailboat you'll probably want a catamaran or a motor sailer like the Lancer. You really need a swim platform where divers can get in and out of the water without having to haul themselves up over 4 feet of freeboard. All that's been said so I'll just say I agree with a lot of the former posts.
Hope you can find what your looking for. Ask lots of questions and chime in with your opinions from time to time.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 07:57   #7

Well, thank you all for your candid comments. The truth is this... yes, it'll be a weekend trip overnighter or short sail and a get wet dive or two. The back end of the Mac I had in mind has a "swim step" of sorts as the transom and with 6' draft and a winged keel, I figured it'd get close enough to shore to anchor safelyover night out of the weather.
As far as beam, it's almost 13' across. I don't believe I've seen boats of similiar size (length) with wider beams. Of course I haven't seen that many boats either for consideration. That's why I have you guys, my eyes and ears of a resource that's incredibly valuable.
I have looked into the Mac 65 mainly because of the speed factor and comfort level I believe you get from a longer, narrow hull vs and short, stubby (?) hull like the old Westsail 32 or 42. Am I wrong?
db
Old 22-06-2007, 08:07   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The last (and only) Mac 65 I was in had an interior like one of those old vans that we used to call "shag wagons". It was full of broadloom and plastic if I remember right. Just the thought of all that carpeting getting wet, yuck.
Old 22-06-2007, 08:19   #9

Carpet? Yuck.

That's so 1960's-1970's isn't it? The ones' I've been looking over are certainly not like that! The best one I found so far, "See Ya 2" as it's currently named in the Carrib is all fiberglass and teak inside. Nice joinery work throughtout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1530.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1529.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1407  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Navigators%20Station.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1408  
Old 22-06-2007, 13:17   #10
jzk

I think a catamaran would be ideal for a scuba business.

That being said, I like the Mac 65! I have seen many used ones in Fort Lauderdale, and they seem to hold up pretty well. It is a long, narrow rocketship.

It does, however, have its own unique look. Either you love it or hate it. Also the cockpit seems kind of unprotected. I saw a custom one with a modified cockpit.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 13:47   #11

Boat: Catalina 400
I erased several times what I was going to write about that boat. Since you do not know me, I will refrain from unnecessary comments.

As stated above, a catamaran would be better suited (if not ideal) for a scuba business... assuming you stay with sail. Even better choices would be trawlers where there is considerably more room for gear, etc.

THat being said, have you checked all the regs about running a business in foreign countries?? Have you checked crime rates? If you run this thing in the US, or out of the US, I think you will have to have a minimum 6-pack (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

The idea sounds nice... and there is NO ONE on this entire planet that loves diving and taking people diving more than me. But you may find yourself into more headaches than your retirement can allow. Go buy a tub for you and the spouse/kids if any. Enjoy yourself. THere is a lot more to cruising, diving, running a business in foreign countries, etc than I would want to do on my retirement!!

AND FOR GOD'S SAKES DONT BUY THAT BOAT FOR IT! (oops, I guess I should have deleted that too).

- CD
Old 22-06-2007, 13:56   #12

I said, "DON'T HOLD BACK!"

Come on now, even at the expense of getting 'flamed to death', I'd like to hear your personal knowledge and experience about this craft. It is reasonably well constructed, the one I'm looking at is certainly well kept and for whatever it's worth, the bilge is clean and dry, without cracks and chunks missing on the exterior and with a very clean standing rigging throughout... but that's just what I read and saw. Now...
I value what you have to say, and if you are relunctant to print it here for everyone to read, (PM me) and email me and I'll be happy to listen to your valued opinion.
Old 22-06-2007, 14:13   #13

Boat: Catalina 400
I will PM you.
Old 24-06-2007, 21:13   #14

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
I may be a newbie here, but I am a diver too... Personally, if I chartered onto a big dive, I would like to see a big tri or cat. Just my personal opinion. Alot of divers aren't overnighters, and the stability of the multihull may be a consideration. Again, just my humble thoughts. Good luck in whatever you choose! Wish I had the capital for a project like that. Wait... what am I saying? I'm running from responsible endeavors.
Old 24-06-2007, 22:14   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Friends of ours here recently bought an ex Scuba Charter cat. Plenty of room on deck for things like compressors, tank storage, etc.

Big salon for chillin' between dives.

They reckon they have pulled a ton of gear off the boat and raised the waterline by at least 2-3 inches. Every locker and storage space had flotsam and jetsam of the charter life.

Don't underestimate the gear and space required for 10+ divers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor