Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 19:44   #1

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Maarire

Maarire is the name of our boat. It is a Maori word meaning to go Gently. Our boat is a 1979 Tanzer 8.5m made in Dorion Quebec. My thoughts on boats is very similar to Jeff H and his Farr 11.6, however at the moment this is what we have and for what we do it is fine. Also it is less $$ to own and operate. I bought the boat new in 1979, I was a Tanzer dealer at the time. The hull is solid GRP and the deck has a plywood core. The hull is very solid. The masthead rig is a bit small but is fine in a breeze. The original rudder was an awful design and I have built a new one as many Tanzer owners have done. The keel is cast iron and not a good foil. I intend to do some fairing work someday. The hull is a joy given the constraints of a 7400 pound displacement. The run aft is a bit steep but cannot be avoided. I will extend the transom and make the run more shallow, the extension will also serve as a place to board. At the moment it is not easy to get to the boat from the water so this would be a safety issue as well. The boat is likely big enough to take two people anywhere and it is easy to manage. I am on an inland lake and can not easily transport anything bigger to the ocean. If we eventually move to the large puddle we may consider a bigger boat. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote