Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 23:47   #1

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Lurker no more!

Hi there!

After months of soaking up as much info as I can while agonising over which multi to go for, such as new, pre-loved, thrashed, private owners or charter, I want to thank everyone in here for their input.

I am a newbie, having previously owned a Beneteau mono, and only sailed inside our frighteningly exciting Sydney Harbour on weekends, and finally, upon the near-hysterical orders of my admiral, when our mono heeled & rounded up once too often when super fast skifs were flying past within inches of us, had to sell our Beneteau.

Since then, many nights were spent lurking in this forum, wishing . . . and hoping.

Not any more! I can now come out of hiding, and introduce myself. I live in Sydney, Australia, and last weekend, at the Sydney International Boat Show, I attended the Fountaine Pajot section, met two Forum members, DtM & Gordon, who twisted my arms, frogmarched me to meet Sharky Mark (so-called because while kayaking along our dangerous coast, his kayak was attacked from below by a 5 metre Great White. Kayak and Mark went flying and fortunately, the shark lost interest). Anyways, to cut a long story short, I have just placed an order for a Mahe 36, with the lot.

Whoopee!!!
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:48   #2

Well seadog3315,seeing ya from Kirribilli it looks like you will be able to pay cash,or,at least pay the repayments on time.Those 18 footers are just about the fastest things on the water.If you were over so far they must have been hooting along.By the way,lurking is kind off kinky.So is comming out.Crack one for you and the missus,and,hold on for the ride of ya life.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 18:33   #3

Pointers

Mudnut

Thank you for the heads up about "lurking" & "coming out". I guess since I am new to sailing, and there are more than a few cranky old salts about, I just didn't have the confidence to post.

I probably should introduce myself to the FP thread, too.

Yes, Kirribilli is a nice address, but the bank mostly owns the house. I am just helping it maintain its big profits.

Cheers!

John
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55   #4

Gee John,how new to sailing are you?I would have thought owning a Bendy-toe would be a bit past the "new to" part of sailing.The bank owns mine also,not for long though.Born and raised in Sydney(Kograh)just couldn't stand the crowds.I love all the new multies,just couldn't afford even the old ones.Sailing level apeals to me also.See ya on the board.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 16:34   #5

ex-powerboater

Mudnut

I used to be a power boater until I decided to go green and switch to wind power. With hindsight, I should've crewed on other boats after sailing school before buying, but I wanted my wife to be involved.

I followed conventional wisdom and bought a 36ft ex-charter mono to build my skills on. Trouble is, sailing is a damn slow business compared to power boating. Everything seems to be in slow motion, so my son & I would go out when winds were gusting. We loved it when the boat heels, but unfortunately what we found exciting, my wife found terrifying. It was also tough on our 7-year old sails. We had so many rips on them that the sail maker finally refused to repair them, but wanted to charge us over $8k to replace them.

We find the FP Mahe 36 to be a great compromise boat. Comfortable for the wife, perhaps easier to sail than our mono, and able to take us places when we eventually "balance" out our work/sail commitments.