Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-07-2010, 23:27   #1

Boat: 16' Taft Catamaran
Looking Forward to Adventuring

My name is Ryan. I'm a 36 year-old broke college student who is new to sailing. I picked up a 16' Taft Catamaran off of Craigslist for $150. I'm actually a co-owner. My buddy and I split the cost.
I'm quite lucky to live where I do. There are many lakes in the area. I found this site by googling "Lake Superior Sailing", and found an interesting thread aboout learning to sail the world on Lake Superior. I don't plan on sailing the world on my little cat, but the idea of sailing big water really appeals to me.
I often daydream about sailing up through the great lakes and out into the Atlantic, hanging a right, then down to Florida. The idea keeps me motivated to sail my little boat on little water until I can afford to do more.
I'm looking forward to learning from you folks, and participating in discussions. I have a feeling that this site is really going to fuel my newfound obsession.
greasysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 23:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have fun on the cat. If you can sail a small boat around you'll be a great bigger boat sailor. Just learn as much as you can and keep really aware of what's happening to you and the boat as you spend time on her. Any dummy can put the sails up on a big boat and get it going but if try that on a dinghy you'll be the laughing stock of the harbor. Little boats are very sensitive and you'll develop great habits.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 13:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I think the Taft is much like the Hobie 16?
Make certain you learn how to get the boat back up after a capsize. That's very important to your safety especially in MN water.
I like the basic sailing book "Start Sailing Right!" for a good read and to explain sail angle on both catamarans and monohulls.
kind regards,
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: