Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 00:04   #1

Boat: Union Polaris 36
Looking for Union Polaris 36 owners

Hi,
I am in the process of completing the purchase of a 1978 Union Polaris 36 and I would like to get in contact with other owners to get ideas/suggestions on how to tackle the refurbishing phase.
I am based in northern CA.
Thanks
Cuppo

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cuppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 16:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Looking for Union Polaris 36 owners

Welcome to the forum. I know there are some Union owners here and there sisterships. The HC 36's. How are your decks?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 17:53   #3

Thank you for the reply. I will look into that. The decks are teak, original and tired. Sanding them down should help for a while and soon will have to replace them. My intent is to replace them with teak but without fasteners. Something that I will have to plan carefully.

Cheers

Cuppo
Old 20-12-2014, 17:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppo View Post
Hi,
I am in the process of completing the purchase of a 1978 Union Polaris 36 and I would like to get in contact with other owners to get ideas/suggestions on how to tackle the refurbishing phase.
I am based in northern CA.
Thanks
Cuppo

Asi recall, that is the same type of boat that was discussed many times in many threads here related to deck problems, refurbishing it and leaks and problems.

The boat that was the subject of those threads was "Rebel Heart" and I believe many on this forum gave advice on what that boats owners should do.

I also recall seeing photos posted showing some teak deck repair.

It appears you are new to this forum, so you may have missed this. A search over the 2013 and early 2014 threads may yield answers.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 21:25   #5

Thank you for the post. The only only Rebel Heart I could find was the Kaufmann's Hans Christian 36 that they sailed out of San Diego, which unfortunately needed USCG rescue due to problems with water intake and illness of one of the kids. My recollection is that the boat was abandoned at sea. It was about March 2014.

Cheers

Andrea
Old 20-12-2014, 21:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppo View Post
Thank you for the post. The only only Rebel Heart I could find was the Kaufmann's Hans Christian 36 that they sailed out of San Diego, which unfortunately needed USCG rescue due to problems with water intake and illness of one of the kids. My recollection is that the boat was abandoned at sea. It was about March 2014.

Cheers

Andrea
Hi again.

Yes, that is the one.

As I recall that particular boat (Rebel Heart) WAS a Union Polaris (that the owner called a HC36). In other words, I believe you will find it was in fact really a UP36. I could be wrong on many things, but I do not think I am on this.

The UP36 pedigree goes back to some dispute over hull designs that were originally supposed to be for the HC34 (by Robert Perry) but was stretched for 36 footer. As I recall, the UP36 was a derivative (some would say "knockoff").

Here is a clip from Sailboatdata.com
"According to designer, Robert Perry, the HANS CHRISTIAN 36, MARINER POLARIS, UNION POLARIS 36, and EO 36 are all nearly the same, which, in turn, are lengthened versions of the HANS CHRISTIAN 34, the boat he was originally commissioned to design but, of which, few were built."
UNION 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Also, there were many posts about their (Rebel Heart) dramatic rescue and the scuttling of that boat. But, if you go back further (back in time in the forum) I believe the owner spent about 2 years on this forum (at least) asking many questions about how to fix his boat and get it ready and such. I remember seeing photos of the deck repair etc.

It is not that I suggest you get his advice, rather I suggest that you understand that many others here offered advice on what to do in response to his questions about his boat.

Finally, I am not trying to throw water on your enthusiasm for your new boat. I am simply trying to provide you with a way of searching for tips and helpful answers to some questions. If you search for those threads, you might find hours of reading on this site related to a sistership.

As I said before, good luck.
Old 20-12-2014, 21:51   #7

Great. Thank you. I have found the info you were talking about and it is indeed very useful. Lots of detailed feedback on the work that was done.

I know that there is a lot to be done and your input is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Cuppo
Old 20-12-2014, 21:58   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

As I recall that particular boat (Rebel Heart) WAS a Union Polaris (that the owner called a HC36). In other words, I believe you will find it was in fact really a UP36. I could be wrong on many things, but I do not think I am on this.
Yes...you are incorrect. I know Eric and knew the boat while we were in La Paz. It was a HC 36. I could go on about his deck issues but it would only add to the hearsay already going on here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 22:06   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...you are incorrect. I know Eric and knew the boat while we were in La Paz. It was a HC 36. I could go on about his deck issues but it would only add to the hearsay already going on here.
OK, I am always happy to be corrected.

And I am getting old. So my memory on things that are not important to me at the time allows some mixing of data in the old brain, some things stick and others don't.

Here is a quote from the owner of Rebel Heart: "Our hull number is XSA000040675, which means we were one of the first Hans Christians, built by the Union Ship Company. After this, they were renamed to Union Polaris 36's."
Old 22-01-2015, 23:26   #10

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Hi Cuppo,
Just found this thread. Did you end up purchasing the boat? My girlfriend and I are mid thirties late twenties and we purchased a union 36 hull #4 in September 2013 and are in middle of big refit. Would love to connect with you. Cheers
Emmanuel

chillmobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:45   #11

Hi Emmanuel,

thank you for the message. Yes, I have purchased the UP36 and would love to get in contact with you and hear more about your UP36. I am planning to tackle some of the refurbishing later this year and finally the deck in a couple of year.

Cuppo
Old 23-01-2015, 15:41   #12

Boat: Union 36

Count me in too folks. We took possession of Sea Bear a year ago, 1987 Union 36 now located on Vancouver Island and patiently waiting for me to retire. The list grows and we tackle what we can whenever we get to visit.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 16:07   #13

Great.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:06   #14

Boat: Union 36
Smile Re: Looking for Union Polaris 36 owners

It's done, I'm retired as of April Fools Day
We're selling the house in Edmonton and have steered moving aboard Sea Bear. It's been 20+ years since we last lived on the water....way too long...
Let the projects begin!
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22   #15

We recently bought a 1980 Union Polaris and are in the slow process of refitting her and getting her ready to take down to the South Pacific. We have many lists on lists of work that needs to be done. We are replacing the water tanks, now, and re-masting her with an aluminum mast. Our refrigeration system is broken and there is a considerable amount of rot in the cockpit area, including under the main sheet winches, which seems to be two solid 2'x3' ish pieces of wood, inclosed in fiberglass. We'd love to meet more Union Polaris or Hans Christian 36' owners for emotional support and information.

Kipp and Shelly

with one of Robert Perry's Bastard Children.

Liki Liki Ono is offline   Reply With Quote