Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12   #1

Looking for an "IN" into the sailing world.

Hello everybody,

My name is Lee. I'm here looking to get into the sailing world to meet like minded people, change my life path and generally be around sailboats. Born and raised in the Puget Sound, I've never had the opportunity or access to sailing. Over the last 25 years I've been dreaming, researching and planning but something in life has always got in the way.

My aspirations are to buy a sailboat and go cruising single handed by next year. No more lollygagging!

So, your probably thinking, "Great but what do you bring to the table besides your enthusiasm?"

Well, I have a 20 year background in graphic design, cnc engraving, vinyl lettering, 3d printing and various other technical/mechanical aspects. So, basically I can help "think tank", make or fix boat dashes, gauge labels, boat name, stripes and my brother does upholstery.

Anyway, that's my short story. If there is anyone in the Tacoma area that wouldn't mind introducing me to the sailing life and teach an old dog a new trick. I'm ready and I'll buy the beer. Let's go sailing!
pyr8gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Looking for an "IN" into the sailing world.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lee.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:38   #3

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Way to put yourself out there Lee. Best of Luck.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:39   #4

possibly a good starting point:

Puget Sound Sailing Institute - Seattle and Tacoma - Puget Sound Sailing Institute

I have no direct experience with them, just googling for a sailing school in your area which in my opinion is always a good place to start.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:47   #5

Gotta do something! Nothing else seems to be working for me.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome, Lee. Sounds like you'd have a deal to make with a boat owner who needs new art work for his transom! Maybe a note at the nearest DIY marine yard "Will trade graphics for crewing opportunity"?

Love your energy, and go for it, but realize that single-handed cruising is a big bite to take on in one year. And, not to start a fight on the forum, but there are some of us renegades who consider single-handing to be a violation of the First Law of Good Seamanship, "Thou Shalt Keep a Good Watch." Had one of those sail right onto the beach at 0200 on the island I used to work on.
Old 14-06-2019, 18:25   #7

Well, if lessons are too expensive... how will you afford a boat?

But I can direct you to ONE sure-fire no hassle "in". Find a rich older sailboat owner whose only child - a daughter (or a son; we don't judge) is still single. Marry the beloved offspring and endear yourself to her parents. Boat will be yours, guaranteed. Be patient.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 18:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, if lessons are too expensive... how will you afford a boat?

But I can direct you to ONE sure-fire no hassle "in". Find a rich older sailboat owner whose only child - a daughter (or a son; we don't judge) is still single. Marry the beloved offspring and endear yourself to her parents. Boat will be yours, guaranteed. Be patient.

That might take a little bit longer than going to the closest West Marine store and getting a free copy of 48North, a local sailing magazine.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 19:12   #9

I was really hoping that I would get more helpful responses than these. So far I'm very disappointed with this forum. I was led to believe that cruisers are warm, friendly, welcoming and generous people. Apparently, I have yet to meet them.

These responses tell me two things:

1. the people on here are idiots or you all think I'm an idiot
2. apparently you do judge.

Just because I have no sailing experience doesn't mean I don't have any life experience or that I am an idiot.

I came here with an honest and sincere attitude and asking for help. If you don't have anything truly helpful to offer except a stupid inheritance suggestion or some other wise ass remark - keep it to yourself because I don't need it.
Old 14-06-2019, 19:20   #10

Lee I posted for the first time the other day and got a stupid sexist no good response. I too am very disappointed by this forum. Sounds like it a a bunch of wanna be Experts who are trolling here.
I hope we both have better luck.
Ldjfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 19:25   #11

Thank you!
Old 14-06-2019, 19:48   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr8gfx View Post
I was really hoping that I would get more helpful responses than these. So far I'm very disappointed with this forum. I was led to believe that cruisers are warm, friendly, welcoming and generous people. Apparently, I have yet to meet them.

Just because I have no sailing experience doesn't mean I don't have any life experience or that I am an idiot.

I came here with an honest and sincere attitude and asking for help. If you don't have anything truly helpful to offer except a stupid inheritance suggestion or some other wise ass remark - keep it to yourself because I don't need it.
OK pyr8gfx (Lee), settle down. Your dilemma is how to get started. It can be done, but I am going to have to tell you that being cool is going to help you more than reacting to the smart a**es who might populate these forums. Never mind them stay chill.

Now, In the Puget sound region there are hundreds of sailors going out on their boats virtually every day of the week. Their purpose is racing but as a by product they will be sailing, sailing, sailing. They all need YOU.

You can finagle your way onto one of these boats and LEARN BY DOING, for FREE. Maybe you think that racing is not your gig. but remember, you get to sail with people, sometimes nice, sometimes jerks, but who know how to sail. So call your local yacht clubs, find out when they race, and get down to the marina about 1 hour, or more, before the racing starts. Ask everyone you see getting out of a car if they need crew. Someone will say "yes" and you are off. Next time you will have experience. It will be easier. When you find a boat you like, tell them you'll come every week, and mean it. You will be on the crew. In a year you will know more about sailing than a hundred lessons.

In two years the skipper will depend on you and ask you to do the deliveries for him. In five years you will get the boat for your vacation cruise to the San Juan's.

Maybe you won't make it that long, but every day on the water will be an addition to your sailing resume. It will get you into the community.
Old 14-06-2019, 20:02   #13

I was quite serious about my earlier suggestion. That magazine, also available online, is a wealth of information that is right up your alley. I've been reading it for years, even before I sailed my boat here from SF. Good reads.

One of the other things about forums is that folks who start topics and then don't like the answers they get should hold their tongues as long as they think the smarta$$es should.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 20:04   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr8gfx View Post

Well,Lee, here's how I see the responses: posts 4,5 and 8 were helpful ideas, several others were not helpful but were warmly welcoming you, and one was a smart ass jerk comment.

I don't think your comments about the forum are yet justified... and now you have Wingsail's detailed plan.

Perhaps you were expecting someone to immediately volunteer to be your mentor or at least take you out sailing. If you stick around a while and get off your "this forum sucks" rant, that could still happen. Lightening up a bit could improve your chances.

Jim
Old 14-06-2019, 20:14   #15

I sure hope Jim is right about this forum. I’ll keep tuning and see if I can find the right people for my serious cruising questions.
Thanks for the feedback Jim.
Ldjfilm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing