Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2009, 18:51   #1

Looking for a New Adventure

Hi. My name is Mark. I am 38-years-old, and my wife and I live in Texas with our 16-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter. Our dream is to buy a boat and in the next three to five years quite our jobs and sail around the world with our kids.
So, what's holding us back? Well, for starters, I have never sailed a day in my life. And, we have no idea where to begin.
But, that's why I'm on Cruisers Forum. I'm hoping to find some good ideas about where to start on these boards. If anyone has any tips, suggestions or can just point me in the right directions I welcome it.
markjarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 19:00   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome to the Forum. A good start is to run a search about your areas of interest. There have been many posts from new folks asking about "what is the best boat to buy?" And the best answer is "what ever suits you the best." There are lots of threads giving advice on this very subject. I would suggest to get involved with your local yacht club/sailing club. Walk the docks and talk to folks working on their boats. Spend as much time as you can on as many different boats as possible so that you have a comparison. Volunteer at the local regattas to get yourself known to the local sailors. Also if available take some sailing classes.
Old 28-06-2009, 19:25   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum,
We have a Texas social group, you are welcome to join if you like. You are in good company here, most of us want to go cruising, or are already out there.
Godspeed to your adventure,
Erika
Old 28-06-2009, 22:09   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Don't let not sailing yet stop you! My wife had never been on a sailboat and I had sailed in the 70's. But we bought a boat in 2006, cruised around Europe, crossed the Atlantic and are now in the Caribbean. Next year we will go to the South Pacific. It's a great adventure! Go for it! Good luck.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 11:30   #5

Boat: Islander 30
jim thomsen - maybe i will run into you in the s. pacific next year!

go for it Mark! I don't think I am going to regret it and I don't think you will either!

Best of luck to you. This is a great place to learn, as I am trying to take it all in myself.
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 14:08   #6

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Mark
4 yrs ago my husband and I sat on the back porch watching the deer. My husband asked what do you want to do. I sail " I want to sail around the world" for as many years as we have left. We are late 40's & early 50's. Our house has sold and we are scrambling to sell, give away and trash the rest of our belongings. We have put an offer on a boat and will know within the next few weeks if we get this one. You can use a broker or walk the docks, great deals are everywhere. One thing I have discovered Is you must be kind of a handy guy and gal, or have money. We looked for years at all sizes, shapes, models of sailboats. Get on every boat you can, spend vacations and all spare time. We purchased a 14' O'day and sailed it for 4 yrs on lake Travis, Buchanan, and also hauled it to the coast a few times. (I recommend Serendipity Bay Resort, in Polacious (spelling I never get it right) as they have little cabins and RV parking available) Once we get on the boat the training starts. ASA Sailing lessons, Nav. classes and the good ole' friends teaching freinds method. There are many, many avenues you can take. If you are committed you can do anything. If you want the name of a good broker and survey in the Houston area. Please PM me. Good luck and start now it is never to late.
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 15:11   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I'd start with some basic sailing lessons for both of you if there is a place in your area that offers them cheaply. Its good to start off right. I also recommend the book, Start Sailing Right!
It is easy to read and understand. You can always dream about cruising even while learning the basics and you can always look up boats for sail on the internet too.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 15:19   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Oh, and the kids should have sailing lessons too. They really become great deckhands if they know what they are doing.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote