Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 10:20   #1

Location: today leaving AZ and heading for New England to get closer to the woman with a boat.
Boat: would like a Ketch
Lookin' for a sailboat around Mellbourne FL, Hi!

The internet has provided such an abundant access to networking with people of similar lifestyles and diverse bank of information, I thank you all.
I am moving to Orlando area, right quick, and am looking for a liveaboard marina, on the ICW between Titusville and Mellbourne. That happens to have a sailboat for sale that is suitable for liveaboard and cruising. 36'-44' .
I intend to get my skills honed by doing some coastal sailing and then I intend to take some time, 7 years or so, to circumnavigate. Any leads?
Coincidental spontenuity is how I'm striving to live, so I'm open to what reveals itself.
Thanks for your posts.
spartan109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Suggest you head over to www.yachtWorld.com

Lots of boats for sale and in places all over. You might start getting ideas if you plug in different numbers and locations. You might do better to find a boat not connected to where you might live aboard. Nothing wrong but it would cast a wider net in terms of living and boat options.

Any boat you buy now then live aboard for 7 years may not be the best choice to sail off in. Might be better to just buy something cheaper and learn sailing. Work and save some money then start with a new boat search and get something after you've learned a lot more from experience. Live aboard boats are generally a bit different than long range crusing boats.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:23   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Spartan,
Welcome aboard! Hope you find your bliss. Not to discourage your plans but I do agree with Paul and recommend a smaller boat 32-35 feet, fiberglass and cutter rig for your first. You'll want to sail more in a smaller boat and it is plenty of room for a couple to live aboard.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:39   #4

Location: today leaving AZ and heading for New England to get closer to the woman with a boat.
Hey, thanks. So let me modify my search to any sailboat that is for sale at a liveaboard marina in Mellbourne/Titusville area.
I have been reading and searching information for some now 6 years regarding liveaboard, it's bet a life long dream, and crusing and have made some decisions. Spent some time Carib & Med. If I decide on a cat for the world cruise I'd like it to be a PDQ. If a monohaul, a center cockpit, could be a ketch, I like the look of a gaff rig. But in the end, most likely I will go thru the boats in steps.
And yes, if I can get a sailboat of modest size to live and learn on for as cheap as possible then I will have more for the next step!! I need that sort of progression. I can see myself arming myself with just the "right" kind of boat for each phase of my journey. In fact as long as the hull, deck, sails are in good shape, and she is floating at some slip, I can do the rest, even rebuild the engine. So give me a hollar, any one, if you spot something that catches your eye.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Again Spartan,
I would never tell anyone what they should do when it comes to boats. It is a very personal thing. And personally, having sailed both cat, tri and monohull, center and aft cockpit, ketch, yawl, cutter and sloop my favorite is a cutter, monohull with an aft cockpit. Gaff headed sails are efficient downwind but require more gear to maintain and are not as efficient to windward. I learned to sail on old wood gaff headed sloops in Cheimsee, Germany. Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 13:52   #6

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
The local brokers in this area include:

Yacht Masters @ Harbor Town/Merritt Island
AAA Yacht Brokers
Cape Yacht Brokerage
Twin River Yacht Sales

Google each of their web pages and look at their listings for sale in the local marinas. Most of our marinas around here allow liveaboards.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 14:52   #7

With feedback like you are providing, I feel "better lucky than good". So when the time comes to make real choices, it may be a peice of cake.