Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 19:54   #1

Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster - hello to all

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum after more than a few years of lurking and reading. I've probably spent around 500 cumulative hours reading and re-reading, researching, just generally having a good time.

I grew up with a grandfather who was an avid regatta racer and member of the New Orleans Yacht Club, taught my mother to sail at a very young age, who taught me to sail my first Sunfish when I was 7. From there I moved onto a Laser, a 21' O'Day, a 21' Hobie, then kitted out another sunfish for local regatta racing. I hail from northern Indiana, Warsaw to be exact, a city known as the Lake City. 109 Lakes in our county, including the largest natural lake and the deepest natural lake in the state. I've done all the powerboating (even building from scratch a custom welded aluminum 13' jetdrive powered racer - that was too fast @ 85 mph on flat water at the tender age of 17) and watersports stuff you can imagine, but find that my first love has and always will be sailing.

I've sailed everything from my Sunfishes up to a 40' mono-hull owned by a friend's parents on Lake Superior in some decent chop (inland lake chop - not much compared to ocean swells). I dislike cruise ships on principle, too crowded, and have only been on the ocean in a boat on a few weekend deep sea fishing trips in both the Atlantic and the Pacific that were chartered or friends of the parents when I was younger, on large fishing vessels. I still deep sea fish with my dad when I get the chance, which is not as often as he and my mom have both retired to Costa Rica / New Orleans.

I grew up with a father who instilled a love of learning (necessary on the large farm we grew up on, with a dad that was a mechanical engineer) and a freakish love of researching. In pursuit of that end, every decision, no matter how big or small, is preceded by asking knowledgeable others for advice and researching to exhaustion. I've rebuilt everything from BMW engines (my family is also obsessed with BMW's - put myself through college buying, fixing, and selling them) to boats and tractors. My engineering prowess took me down the road to college, where I decided pre-med coursework was my best course (dad was a bioengineer). My long-term girlfriend is dental, and I'm med, so we'll be comfortably provided for in the future.

Years ago, when I was researching my ideal 20 year plan, I fell in love with my first big cat - the John Shuttleworth 64 super cruiser Dulcinea (links here and here. It was for sale by Lee Marine in Phuket and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. From there, I researched cats vs mono-hulls and decided cats were the ideal boat to include in my 20 year plan. I think, and user yeloya will love this, that Fountaine Pajot has stolen my mind as the most bang-for-your-buck market manufacturer of cats right now. The Athena's are beautiful and well-equipped, and at <200k now, well valued. They simply look good. I seem to like a lot of their design decisions as a manufacturer and from what I've read, they sail well and behave admirably.

In the next 10 years I anticipate owning a small (to me) 38-42 footer as a proving grounds for getting the feel of a relatively large sailing cat. Although I will likely be able to afford something much newer, or new, depreciation is my forever enemy. I've vowed to never buy a brand new car, for example. If I can fix anything that goes wrong, so why would I? In that pursuit, a 7-10 year old owner's cat or post-charter vessel (which doesn't bother me in the slightest) at sub-500k prices will be my mid-life boat on which I would expect to spend 25-50k on refitting to my specs, doing most of the work myself.

In the very short term, a well-kept Catalina 27' came up for sale that I'm interested in.

Anyways, thanks for reading the long-winded post with tons of extra information, way more extraneous bits than anyone needs and a fair bit of good information. See ya around the way--

J
jinbtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:50   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Re: Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster - hello to all

Hey J, welcome to the club. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. Some day!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:51   #3

Welcome aboard man.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 21:07   #4

Boat: too many

Hi J, and of course Charlotte and Eric, how's Mexico?

J, your intro was damn fine, professions that will allow early cruising, tons of research and a good sailing background. So many times I'll be saying "Hi" to new posters that are real dreamers but in your case you have done your footwork. I also like Shuttleworth's designs and cats in general, even though my only cruising was on my Cal 40. I do like a mono's ability to de-power by healing in a unexpected gust, so I'm on the fence for the 2nd time around. I would guess you probably like the Chris White designs also.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 21:33   #5

BTW Eric your AIS tells me your getting ever so closer to Bahia Conception, my fav anchorage is Santispac. Think you will get that far north? You'll love the hot springs at the water's edge.
Old 14-08-2013, 10:39   #6

Bob, we'll be headed as far north as Bahia de los angeles. But when you say 'hot springs' I shudder. It's so hot already!!!
Old 15-08-2013, 11:50   #7

Thank you for the warm welcomes: I enjoy reading each and every adventure.
As far as realism goes, healthy doses were provided throughout the first 20 years of life, mostly accompanied by "you're right son, life isn't fair"

I'm not complaining now though. Dreams are nothing without ambition, it seems, and ambition is lost without skills. Therefore, build skills and knowledge first, then gather the ambition, then start dreaming. No use to anyone going the other way around
Old 15-08-2013, 12:03   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Red! Texas is where the weather is scorching hot; 90's-100's. Central-TX has very low humidity; a bonus. San Diego is a weeee bit distant from the DFW area. Texas is the home of grass-fed Angus beef. As for Louisiana, it is the home of the alligator stew and craw-fish pie; I don't eat either one. Enjoy!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 15-08-2013, 12:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
Bob, we'll be headed as far north as Bahia de los angeles. But when you say 'hot springs' I shudder. It's so hot already!!!
Bahia Conception is on your way. Do you plan on stopping there for awhile? It was my favorite anchorage.
Old 15-08-2013, 13:06   #10

Teknav, I need to update my location. We are currently in Mexico, where the temps are 100+ and feel like 110+.

Deckofficer (Bob), fairly certain we'll be stopping in Conception!
Old 15-08-2013, 14:05   #11

Quote:

Deckofficer (Bob), fairly certain we'll be stopping in Conception!
Great. Drop the hook at Santispac beach and tell me what you think of "my" spot.
Old 15-08-2013, 14:44   #12

Will do!
Old 15-08-2013, 15:19   #13

Quote:
Will do!
Great. Sanispac is a bay within the bay of Conception and as such I don't think you will find clearer waters. There is a small island in the middle of the bay and (3) other small islands just outside the bay's entrance. There is also a small reef that has a lot of fish species for snorkeling and if Eric or you play tennis, there is a court 1/3 a mile SE from the anchorage, but the entire bay is good for anchoring. The tennis courts are at Posada, an expat community with friendly folks. Muluge is to the north, you will pass it when you head south into Conception and has the only year round river in Baja. Further north is Santa Rosalia that has a tower designed by Effiel and great ice cream. Across the Sea of Cortez from Santa Rosalia is Guaymas and all the cheap "big box" stores you would ever need. I have a hunch after visiting Bahia de Los Angles you might return to this area.
Old 16-08-2013, 19:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I do like a mono's ability to de-power by healing in a unexpected gust, so I'm on the fence for the 2nd time around. I would guess you probably like the Chris White designs also.
you know, I like that too - until I looked at Dulcinea and her 38' beam...my god, with all that weight some 11 meters apart, how could she ever get a hull up more than a couple inches in a gust?? Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that in a tempest with rollicking waves it is more than possible
Old 26-09-2013, 21:32   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Sunfish is a great trainer and a fun racer.