Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2013, 18:48   #1

Little Boat in Little Valley NY

Hi all!
Glad to be aboard. I should introduce myself as the new little guy on the block. About a month ago I picked up an 11' Whistler dinghy. I've been out on the local lakes about a dozen times & I am having a blast! I sailed a 14' Blue Jay when I was a kid, but haven't been on the water in 40 years and the old sailing instincts (and lessons) have kicked back in. I even stalled the boat at the dock to the amazement of all watching!
I've been able to take the admiral (is that what I call her?) once, and I believe she may be bitten by the bug. The reason I purchased the boat in the first place is to teach my 12 yr old son to sail. He is autistic and has always been crazy about the water. If he's in it, on it, around it or under it, he's delighted. It also has a wonderful, calming effect on him when we're out there, and he loves just dragging his hand overboard as we cruise along. The problem is that the boat is just too darn small for us. And we are not small people! The three of us won't fit. No way. I'm over 6'3". He's almost 200 lbs and we won't even mention my delicate flower. Of course I'm already looking to get something bigger (that seems to be a trend with sailboat owners). Looking for a trailer sailor, maybe a 22' swing keel. Would love to find a reasonable MacGregor. But that's for another day. So... I guess I just wanted to say hello to the group and introduce myself.
Fair winds

Old 07-07-2013, 23:01   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Little Boat in Little Valley NY

Welcome to the forum Timbo...My first boat was a MacGregor 21...which is why I would recommend a Catalina 22...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Timbo1066.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 17:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the forum Timbo...My first boat was a MacGregor 21...which is why I would recommend a Catalina 22...
Aloha and welcome aboard!

I always have to agree with Martin.

kind regards,
Old 26-07-2013, 18:29   #5

Thank you, thank you, Martin and John. (Where's Abraham?). After your comment I did a little more research and yes, the MacGregor is known as the "ford pinto" of the boat world. After a little looking, and a lot of luck, I found a smokin' deal on a Tanzer 22. I snatched it up & I'm loving it. This thing is built like a tank. I'm still a newbie & have been very comfortable taking the boat out alone as it is quite easy to sail. Thanks again for the heads up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: