Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2008, 05:10   #16

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Think Mono, shallow draft

Welcome aboard and enjoy the many different ideas you'l find here. You might want to check out mono hulls in the 30' range. I like something that draws less than 4 feet with a diesel. You can get an older one and if you do the research and get a good survey you can end up w one fairly cheap thats built like a tank. [Center cockpit S-2s and Morgans are roomy, there are many more]
My wife and I love Belize. Its considerably cheaper living. The water is turquoise, its warm and the people friendly. I'm stuck in the North East at the moment but usually spend some of the winter there. There are hundreds of islands and lagoons to visit. The jungle is wonderful and the barrier reef keeps the ocean relatively safe. Hurricanes are a real concern though!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 21:37   #17

Hi KanadianKain,
I read your post and I am also here seeking similiar answers. A friend of mine told me he and his buddy is going to buy property in Panama and that it is very safe there. The bay islands, Roatan, Honduras, is very nice especially the reef system. I am a diver and tend to gravitate towards a more affordable vacation. It's much like Belize used to be twenty or so years ago. That's why it's reasonable there. But great place!!! I am in search of some islands I may head to next year. So I wish you all the best on your search and may you find that home on the boat of your dreams.
Old 30-12-2008, 01:43   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I think your budget sounds a bit on the shy side...but these are unusual times.

I think stillraining had a good suggestion...if you buy in the place you want to hang out you may be way ahead.

If its sailing you want to do, I think you'll get a bigger bang for your buck with a mono.

If you a back packer you could be very happy around 26ft with an out board.

I say go for it...you're way young enough to make lots of mistakes (not that you will)
Like my sky diving buddy used to say instead of good-by "drive fast and take chances"....live...live...live
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 02:16   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Jared ……This ones a no brainer!

You already said you liked working on boats (even the beer and nuts one in the Whitsundays) and have had 5 months experience.

You acknowledge you have a lot to learn.

Get yourself listed with Crew Agencies then head down to the Caribbean this winter or the Med next summer and get a good paying job on a professional boat while you wait for a great purchase opportunity to come up…(there will be many).

With your positive attitude you will do well.

Keep saving those freedom chips while you discover a whole new life and learn to choose wisely! Best of luck!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 13:59   #20

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' - CALYPSO
If you haven't read Don Casey's "Sensible Cruising; the Thoreau Approach", that's a great place to start! It's all about cruising, yes, and about simplicity - his motto, along with many others, is "go small, go simple, but go now".

My husband and I cruised for 3 years in the Bahamas and the Eastern Caribbean on a 28' boat that we maintained all on our own. We ate well, drank enough, and entertained frequently. Our costs for all 3 years, average, including boat insurance, all provisions, any new boat parts (including a new dinghy and 15 hp motor), and 3 trips home, averaged 750 a month.

We are about to head off again, this time with 2 kids (but no dog) on the same 28' boat. We are budgeting 1500-2000 a month, but will do all we can to keep it closer to what we spent last time.

Good luck - hope we see you out there!

Nica
s/v Calypso, BCC #6
Sailingbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote