Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Has anyone left their boat at anchor in Las Palmas for any reasonable stint of time? Curious if anyone has or would do that?
__________________

northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:10   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crete , Greece
Boat: Beneteau first 26
Posts: 325
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcave View Post
Has anyone left their boat at anchor in Las Palmas for any reasonable stint of time? Curious if anyone has or would do that?
With the cost of 3 to 5 euros per day in the marina not really worth it .
__________________

gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
With the cost of 3 to 5 euros per day in the marina not really worth it .
If you can get a place in the marina. I'm currently about 10 boats down the list and waiting.
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:42   #4
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Out cruising again (Azores until spring)
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 2,109
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Yikes! We had three good blows come through when we were anchored there in 2014 (30-40 knts). At least half the boats dragged and we had to move twice to get out of the way of dragging boats. Based on that experience, I wouldn't recommend leaving the boat unattended for long.

Matt
__________________
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Rebuilt Aluminum Boat Over 2 Years... Now Back Cruising!
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Yikes! We had three good blows come through when we were anchored there in 2014 (30-40 knts). At least half the boats dragged and we had to move twice to get out of the way of dragging boats. Based on that experience, I wouldn't recommend leaving the boat unattended for long.

Matt
Yeah I suppose it's the other boats that are the main issue. I know my spade will hold with the correct scope but you're right, others may drag.
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:26   #6
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Out cruising again (Azores until spring)
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 2,109
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

It was a real mess in close by the beach, so we finally anchored fairly close to the long stretch of the marinas breakwater and out of everyone's way.

Most boats dropped anchor with a lot of scope for the blow, but they didn't account for the wind change and where that would put their sterns. We saw a few pushpits and bowsprits removed by peoples sterns.

But, we absolutely loved the place and would be there right now if it weren't for visa issues. Go hit up 100 Montaditos for a cheap pitcher of Sangria on Mondays!

Matt
__________________
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Rebuilt Aluminum Boat Over 2 Years... Now Back Cruising!
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:29   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It was a real mess in close by the beach, so we finally anchored fairly close to the long stretch of the marinas breakwater and out of everyone's way.

Most boats dropped anchor with a lot of scope for the blow, but they didn't account for the wind change and where that would put their sterns. We saw a few pushpits and bowsprits removed by peoples sterns.

But, we absolutely loved the place and would be there right now if it weren't for visa issues. Go hit up 100 Montaditos for a cheap pitcher of Sangria on Mondays!

Matt
Nice! Any other tips for our stay. I'm renting a dirt bike tomorrow to see the island but if you have any other gems let me know. You guys wintering in the Azores? Must be blowy up there!
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53   #8
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Out cruising again (Azores until spring)
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 2,109
Re: Leaving boat anchored at Las Palmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcave View Post
Nice! Any other tips for our stay. I'm renting a dirt bike tomorrow to see the island but if you have any other gems let me know.
Not really anything besides what you'd find in any guide book... just do a circumnavigation of the island on the bike and you can see most within a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcave View Post
You guys wintering in the Azores? Must be blowy up there!
We thought we'd be able to actively cruise these past two months, but it has been just crazy seas separated by just 12 hours of calm. The past three days were the first we've found with weather good enough to leave the harbor for more than a day sail. I can't wait to be able to anchor again.

Not what we thought, but better than wintering in the UK

Matt
__________________

__________________
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Rebuilt Aluminum Boat Over 2 Years... Now Back Cruising!
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, boat, las palmas

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - No Anchoring ? glas Atlantic & the Caribbean 8 24-11-2013 13:24
Crew Available: Las Palmas, Canaries, Cross Atlantic, ex. Caribbean maxlan Crew Archives 0 06-10-2011 12:41
Crew Wanted: ARC 2011 Las Palmas to St. Lucia mct Crew Archives 4 26-09-2011 12:54
Crew Available: (Delivery) Crew Available at Las Palmas Jasper Arts Crew Archives 0 18-11-2010 06:48
Crew Available: Competent Crew Certified Couple-Las Palmas Natalie Jones Crew Archives 0 07-11-2010 18:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.