Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 20:02   #16

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Re: Laptop vs iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I can watch movies, news, etc etc on my iPad. Netflixs rocks too. My daughter tells me I can download movies onto my laptop (or external hard drive) on board and view them on my iPad or other screens as well.
I need a techno savy daughter to sort out my computer technology woes ..I am such a ludite...haha have just put some new Raymarine gear in the boat and am trying to learn how to drive the plotter aaarrrgghhhh

Mind you my daugther is 5 give her 30mins and she would probably do a better job than me!
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 20:23   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I took my Ipad on my last 3-week Bahamas cruise.

Pluses:

Longer battery life means I didn't have to run the inverter on the boat as often.
Longer battery life meant, it wasn't an issue if I could not plug in onshore.
It's smaller to carry around and easier to protect.
It's cheaper and therefore a smaller financial risk to take in the dinghy, etc. I feel it will also take more abuse.

Minuses:

Less memory - can only store so many movies, etc.
Does not run real software. For me this was a big limitation with photo editing. Similarly, is much more limited with flash drives, CDs, printers, etc.

Note - A small wireless keyboard makes it much easier to type on for email, forum participation, etc.

For chartering and short cruises, I plan to take it instead of a lap top from now on, but for longer cruises, I feel it does not replace a computer.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 20:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
No. It's a Compensator 6000.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 20:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
With an iPad you will be limited to the applications that Apple decides you are allowed to buy. You are also not allowed to have Flash, which can be limiting when browsing websites which have Flash, which is most of them. (Stirring the pot a little.)
try 'Skyfire' it eliminates the flash problem...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 21:00   #20

Boat: Baba 30

On our boat we carry both ... but that is because we work online and help create apps for iphone and ipad. If we didnt we would just use the ipad ... again there is no flash support so streaming videos and getting on certain websites wont be happening. Like everything else... it has its limits. You wont be storing tons of photos or throwing in a dvd but Netflix works just fine. I will say that the ipad is a tad more fragile than a laptop. In 6 months we have cracked two screens ... dont even ask what that costs to correct. Computers and boats arent a great match to begin with ... salt water air ruins them within two years (unless you have older better built equipment ) So chose wisely .... I even keep an old crap PC aboard because a) they last longer and b) Apple has crap for navigation software and I like to have as many backups aboard as I can.
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 00:08   #21

Boat: Other people's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
With an iPad you will be limited to the applications that Apple decides you are allowed to buy. You are also not allowed to have Flash, which can be limiting when browsing websites which have Flash, which is most of them. (Stirring the pot a little.)
The best thing apple have done in years is ban that abomination from the igadgets.
Old 30-05-2011, 04:33   #22

You want the laptop. It's a real computer. For the price of a top of the line iPad you can buy two used laptops and have a spare for WHEN your non-marine electronics bite it.
You want Windows because that's what the rest of the world uses. Apple has less than 10% of the personal computer market, therefore more software is available for Windows.
You will NEVER be able to see the iPad in full sunlight.
Then we can start talking about price points. Apple hardware, ALL Apple products for that matter, are overpriced.
//flame on.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:51   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Even though the OP opened the door to this topic, please remember this is in meets and greets, AND is the OPs first post. Remember your manners and say hi!
Old 30-05-2011, 06:10   #24

...... oops. Hi.
No but seriously enjoy the iPad, use the laptop.

Have fun.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 13:04   #25

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Hi and welcome.
I have a Lenovo Laptop on board for email, Skype, the internet etc. At home, I use it as a route planner and transfer the routes to my onboard plotters when I’m back at the boat and, with the cheap USB GPS dongle connected, I have it as a backup chart plotter just in case.
I prefer to use a laptop rather than a tablet for a number of reasons;
Laptops are more powerful, more robust, easier to upgrade and repair, easier to use because of their larger screens and keyboards, can run just about any software you would ever need, have greater and extendable storage capacity, and best of all, they cost about half of what you would pay for an iPad or other high spec tablet.
I’m familiar with iPads; both of my son’s bought them because everyone at their universities thought the world would end if you did not have one but I have noticed in recent months that both have now reverted to their laptops and flogged their iPads.
If performance and value for money are important to you, the laptop is the way to go.
On the other hand, if style and slick marketing is what makes your heart beat faster, no doubt you will get yourself an iPad.
A note to other posters: Put the slings and arrows away folks, I’m not knocking your sacred Apple, I’m simply pointing out the reasons I use a laptop…
Old 31-05-2011, 01:51   #26

Boat: Other people's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Baines View Post
Laptops are more powerful, more robust, easier to upgrade and repair, easier to use because of their larger screens and keyboards, can run just about any software you would ever need, have greater and extendable storage capacity, and best of all, they cost about half of what you would pay for an iPad or other high spec tablet.
Agree on the more powerful (battery life sucks though) but I'd argue that an ipad in an IPX6x case is far more robust than any laptop except possibly a toughbook (which gives away the price benefit). Not sure where you get your upgradability for a laptop though - you can generally stick more RAM and a bigger disk in but that's it for any of the laptops I've owned.
Old 31-05-2011, 07:26   #27

Boat: Baba 30

Battery life ... I forgot to add to my last post the battery life on the ipad is amazing. The laptops have to be charged daily or more if you use them the way we do. (work) but the ipads last for days !!! Figure out what your needs are and then you can base a decision ........
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:48   #28

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteron View Post
Agree on the more powerful (battery life sucks though) but I'd argue that an ipad in an IPX6x case is far more robust than any laptop except possibly a toughbook (which gives away the price benefit). Not sure where you get your upgradability for a laptop though - you can generally stick more RAM and a bigger disk in but that's it for any of the laptops I've owned.
Hi Pteron,
Upgrade being just what you said Plus I like having the ability to change a battery in seconds and without having to take the machine apart to its lowest assembly level But, I coupled Upgrade with Repair and although I know that many people don’t do their own computer repairs, I do and I’m sure you will agree that fixing up a laptop is a whole lot easier than trying to fix an iPad.
And if you take either to a repair shop, I suspect that a laptop repair bill will be much less harmful to your wallet.
Cheers, James
Old 02-06-2011, 23:10   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Hi Debbie...welcome to the forum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

Hi and welcome aboard,
My 2 cents (and it will cost you a lot more than 2 cents):
If you have the cash - digital storage is no problem: seagate goFlex satellite on amazon
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, laptop