Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 04:57   #1

Landlocked Student/Veteran

Hi everybody,

My name is Justin and I am a 26-year-old UF student living in working in Gainesville, FL. I am currently pursuing my bachelors degree in PR and work for an SEO start-up company, Hyperlynx Media, here in downtown Gainesville.

Back in September I was honorably discharged from the USMC after serving six years and two years inactive reserve.

I enjoy the ocean and water in general and have grown up surfing, fishing, swimming, diving and any other activity you can think of on or in the water as a native of FL.

Recently I started to think about what I wanted to do after graduation and where I wanted to live. I have never been one to lead a "normal" lifestyle and choose more of a vagabond style of living. I love the tiny house movement but felt that it was too restrictive in terms of settling down in one place.

Before returning to school at UF, after being discharged, I almost purchased a sailboat in my hometown that was docked in a marina on the St. John's. It was being sold as a liveaboard but needed a lot of work to get it sail worthy again.

I have no prior experience in either sailing (besides a small 10' hoby we use to use on a lake I lived on) or restoration of a sailboat so I decided that I needed to wait until I could invest time into learning how to sail and about the design/construction of a sailboat.

That is what has led me to this forum, a desire to learn everything I can about sailing and sailboat design so that hopefully, upon graduation, I can invest in a liveaboard sailboat that I can restore rather than the more traditional way of buying a house after college.

I can't wait to sit down and start reading through some of the older post on here and to start to discover everything this forum has to offer. And as an added perk meeting some awesome people!

If you have any suggestions of where to begin my reading on the forum I am open to your ideas and suggestions!

Have a great Monday,
Justin
Old 07-03-2016, 05:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Landlocked Student/Veteran

Hi Justin and welcome to the forum from another gator and resident of Hogtown.

First and easiest step in the journey to becoming a sailor is to start learning all you can about boats and everything boating related: engines, electrical, electronics, weather, etc, etc, etc. This forum is a good place to start and it's free.

Then find a way to get some hands on boating. If you just came from the USMC I'm guessing you're in pretty good shape. Boat owners and captains are often looking for crew to help move boats from one place to another and don't always need someone with a lot of experience. Of course the more you know and can do the better your chances of getting on board.

If you want some hands on with boat maintenance and repair, I have a 42' Pearson in Green Cove Springs that still needs a bit of work. I'll be happy to let you practice on my boat and won't even charge you for the lessons.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Justin.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:01   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Good on ya for getting through military service. And also for going back to school. Good luck with it all. I don't know if you can blend the two but if you could get a good job in the marine industry that might help you in many ways. That would depend on what you want to do and how well you could convince an employer to hire someone without prior experience BUT I have found that a good work ethic, promise of doing your part and doing it, will serve you well. Companies are always on the lookout for young people who will actually help them and not just be in it for themselves. And don't forget to look at companies that are not advertising jobs. Drop in in person and tell them you want to learn more about their business and show yourself off.

You do have a lot to learn. And you can do it without getting a job in the marine business too. Don't underestimate the cost of maintaining and improving a boat though. Good luck. People on here will help you with specific questions.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Gainsville? and your a diver?
Done any cave training yet? Nothing to do with boating, but your real close to "cave country"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Justin and welcome to the forum from another gator and resident of Hogtown

If you want some hands on with boat maintenance and repair, I have a 42' Pearson in Green Cove Springs that still needs a bit of work. I'll be happy to let you practice on my boat and won't even charge you for the lessons.

Skip
That would be awesome to gain some hands on experience! That's exactly what I was looking for, I recently posted a craigslist ad offering free labor in exchange for sailboat construction or renovation knowledge to no avail.

I would really appreciate it and do not mind labor intensive work as I have done some construction and landscape work my entire life. Let me know what you had in mind and maybe we can find a time to meet up in Gainesville and discuss it further!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Done any cave training yet? Nothing to do with boating, but your real close to "cave country"
Nope, I haven't done any cave diving but over my summer break I plan to try and receive some more dive certificates so that could be something I look into!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Landlocked Student/Veteran

Jwilken02, first thank you for your service. You sound like a guy with his head on straight. I used to live in Jacksonville and sail on the St Johns river but now live far from there. If you every get to Southern California I'd be proud to have you on board for some hands on sailing.

My advice is read everything you can, not just on forums, but books including basic how to sail books, inspiring yarns about sailing adventures, technical books about rebuilding older boats. You'll learn from them all and keep your dream fueled. Most importantly get on some boats. Find out if there is a sailing club at the university. Ask the alumni association for contacts with boat owners. Post on this forum in the crew available section. There are a lot of Florida sailors here and many are vets.

Hey guys, someone give this guy some time aboard!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilken02 View Post
That would be awesome to gain some hands on experience! That's exactly what I was looking for, I recently posted a craigslist ad offering free labor in exchange for sailboat construction or renovation knowledge to no avail.

I would really appreciate it and do not mind labor intensive work as I have done some construction and landscape work my entire life. Let me know what you had in mind and maybe we can find a time to meet up in Gainesville and discuss it further!
Seriously, you are welcome to come out any time. Next projects are stepping the mast and the final bits on the engine.

Sending you a PM with my contact info.

Skip
Old 07-03-2016, 08:24   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27

"Recently I started to think about what I wanted to do after graduation and where I wanted to live. I have never been one to lead a "normal" lifestyle and choose more of a vagabond style of living. I love the tiny house movement but felt that it was too restrictive in terms of settling down in one place."

Here's my three step plan:

1. sailboat
2. build little cabin on some land
3. bush plane to connect step 1 & 2

We're pretty lucky in that it's the first generation where it's really possible to easily work remotely and support the wonderful vagabond life
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Used to cave dive with a few military guys. A few times with a couple of marines but one of my best dive partners and the guy I did some of the more extreme dives with was Army Special Forces. He was by the way, the real deal, not one of these "ex Navy Seals" that seem to be everywhere. By an interesting coincidence my cousin was his platoon master sargent and of course knew my buddy well.

They all were very sorted out in the water. Guess the discipline one learns from military training doesn't hurt.
Old 07-03-2016, 18:21   #12

Quote:
Seriously, you are welcome to come out any time. Next projects are stepping the mast and the final bits on the engine.

Sending you a PM with my contact info.

Skip
Look forward to hearing from you. Hopefully within the next couple weeks I can head out that way to check it out and start the long process of learning everything I can about the restoration side of things.

I do enjoy diving but with my schedule lately it hasn't left much time off. I have to use my weekends very strategically to get all my personal things accomplished and this month has been a doozy already with my brother's wedding and my niece's first birthday the following weekend.

I appreciate all the welcomes from everybody and can't wait to get to know everybody a little better as time goes on.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilken02 View Post
Look forward to hearing from you. Hopefully within the next couple weeks I can head out that way to check it out and start the long process of learning everything I can about the restoration side of things.

I do enjoy diving but with my schedule lately it hasn't left much time off. I have to use my weekends very strategically to get all my personal things accomplished and this month has been a doozy already with my brother's wedding and my niece's first birthday the following weekend.

I appreciate all the welcomes from everybody and can't wait to get to know everybody a little better as time goes on.
Hi Justin,

Sent you an email through the forum with my phone number. Did you get that?

Skip
Old 08-03-2016, 06:05   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Just don't do anything too fast at this point. You are still readjusting. You can even wear different clothes everyday! Decisions, decisions!

I was where you are now in the 80's having just gotten out of the USMC. I also went to school but part time which took many years to graduate but already had a job skill so no rush.

I had the GI Bill also. (like you do but another version)

Since I was landlocked at the time, I started with Hobie Cats also and ended up getting into racing. I was about to buy an old Catalina 22 but stayed with beachcat racing for 15 years on four different style boats.

Try all aspects of sailing to see which ones you enjoy. It would also be nice if you could spent a few nights aboard a friends boat or go on a short cruise with someone before jumping into anything.

Good Luck

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:03   #15

Quote:
Hi Justin,

Sent you an email through the forum with my phone number. Did you get that?

Skip
Hey Skip,

Not sure I received the message if it was suppose to be a Private Message, I am not showing any new private messages. I know some forums won't let new members send or receive private messages for a set time at the beginning of a membership, not sure if this is the case on Cruisers...