Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 20:03   #1

Landlocked Pirate in Training - Greetings!

Hello members of CF,

Thought I'd introduce myself as I've been perusing the forums for a few weeks now. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a sailboat to live on for the past year or so, and recently have come to the conclusion that it would be the perfect choice for me all things considered.

I've been out sailing with friends, and on charters, however haven't learned to sail at this point. My last venture was out on a chartered catamaran off the coast of Australia, in Airlie Beach. I've lived in an RV, and spend half the year living in a tent due to work, so having minimal furnishings, material items and small spaces is something I'm very familiar with! For every 4-6 months that I work, I take 3-4 months off in between, which affords me the opportunity for extensive traveling. Having a mode of transportation that doubles as my house would be perfect for me, and also allow me to get alot of scuba diving in to boot! (certified PADI advanced, nitrox, night...want to work towards Master)

I'm 90% sure that I want a blue water catamaran, but I'm going to spend some time sailing on both before I make a decision to buy. I'm currently in Afghanistan (I'm sure you've heard that before...) and am debating where I want to learn to sail at come October/November when I'll be on holiday. I've looked into the ASA courses in Florida/Bahamas, Thailand, and am still looking around, as well as started searching around for "crew needed" postings in search of a non-skilled sailor where I could learn through the course of a long trip.

I'm 30, single, no kids, and have absolutely no reason not to jump into it as being on the water has always been something I've enjoyed! I'm an adventure enthusiast, into bungee jumping, skydiving, downhill mountain biking, snowboarding (17 years of that), scuba diving...and more.

I'm looking forward to learning what I can and getting to know people on here, and I'll have you know I'm very familiar with the SEARCH button and use it extensively

DudeistSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 21:49   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Landlocked Pirate in Training - Greetings!

Welcome Aboard CF
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 23:03   #3

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Aaaarrh, matey! (Pyrat for Welcome Aboard!)

It sounds as if you have a good attitude and should do well. One of the great attractions of sailing is that there's always more to learn and explore, and lots of different ways to learn.
Old 16-08-2011, 21:50   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service. The liveaboard lifestyle is great. I was able to experience it for many years in the 80s and would again if I could get rid of all this land trash.
kind regards,
Old 17-08-2011, 09:25   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I was wondering when I would run into another Dudeist on this forum. So a BIG welcome aboard.

I've been ordaned for a couple of years and have been a liveaboard for over a year now.
Old 17-08-2011, 09:29   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome.
so ye climb masts.
i always have room for crew who can climb.......and adventure is only way to fly, as it were.
sense of humor mandatory......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 11:32   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

My only hope is that you get over being a "pirate in training".

Nothing romantic about a pirate, they are just theifs and killers on the water.
Old 17-08-2011, 12:05   #8

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Webejammin - I was wondering if anyone would catch onto that! I was officially ordained recently. Funny, because I found out about it through the Marine Chaplain on the last post I was at - I had to immediately scope it out! Considering the fact I'm already nicknamed "The Dude" at work...

I'm not in the military anymore, served 6 years in the Air Force... now I just work as a civilian alongside them - much more my style, as I get to have the beard, long hair, tattoos, etc. Plus - try living on a boat when you're ordered to be posted somewhere landlocked! I do this as a choice now!

No literal piracy to be had Don Lucas - just the overall sense of freedom, the feeling of adventure when casting off for new destinations, and the amazing and interesting people I get to meet in the travels to be had. It still may be some time before I actually buy my boat - as I'm in no rush or "need" of one, so I'll be taking my time to learn what I can along the way until I find "the one" - be it boat or sailing wench
Old 18-08-2011, 09:17   #9

We also have something else in common , We live in a desert at 4 locks and dams, 330 miles inland up the Columbia River where we are getting over 300 days of sun a year and currently 90 F and 55 F nights with 55% humidity, a little better than the BVI weather no hurricans. We do get out and do some costal sailing but that is only when the north Pacific is calm.

You'll find crusers these days very sensative about calling yourself a pyrate or flying a jolly roger. Although there's a group out of Seattle ( Pacific North West Sailors aka PNWsailors.com that hangs out with Bob Bitchen and the magizine Lattitudes and Attitudes that just had a gathering of the Breatherin of the Sound in the San Juan Islands. They shoot off there cannons and dress the pyrate part, Last gathering they had over 100 yachts from 22 ft to over 60 ft having a beach party.

Glad to have you aboard. Good luck on locating a yacht of your own.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:25   #10

Ahhh, 330 miles inland you say? My company is actually based out of Hood River, so only about 65 miles inland, but I head further inland to the Arlington area (still only another 100 or so miles) to do some of our training. Not quite the desert type of weather you'll get that far in, but still much drier and warmer than right on the coast! I grew up in the NW, but it rains to much up there for me to care to live there any longer - gotta love the sunshine...

The whole pirate thing, of course when talking about the legitimate, put you in danger, steal your belongings type is of course to be taken seriously but then again, you must take things with a grain of salt these days. The fantasy pirate is still alive and well (and has a huge following in the PNW I've learned) and still a fun idea for parties, gatherings, etc. I tend to take little in life seriously, aside the fact that I'm serious about having a good time and enjoying every day for what it is!
Old 19-08-2011, 10:02   #11

Actually Portland is about 100 miles from the Pacific and the mouth of the Columbia river and then Hood river is 2 locks and about 65 miles further east. One of our favirite sailing spots is on the lake where Arlington is one lock down stream from us, they get winds that gets us up to sailing speeds of 10 to 16 kt's on our cat and only about 6 ft wind swells , we like there local pizza but the marina is right beside the interstate and RR tracks almost need ear plugs. If your in the neighborhood contact us.