Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 18:17   #1

Boat: Just a dream at this point
Landlocked Landlubber

Hi, I'm new and stuff.

My wife and I have been talking about "What we want to be when we grow up" and it turns out that we've independently decided that living aboard would be an awesome life to pick up after our daughter has fledged from the nest.

This day of fledging is still a long ways out (she's only in 1st grade this year) and we're both relatively young so I thought I'd start planning now if we really want to succeed and try to learn what I need to learn, as it were, since neither of us knows how to sail and we don't own a boat and we live in Oklahoma.

So, yeah. I'll be around and reading and lurking as I dream of a simpler life on the sea.
18Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 18:20   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Landlocked Landlubber

Why wait? Everything that you need is in your family. It doesn't matter whether it's a boat or house. All the children I now who are now adults had a great childhood living aboard.
Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 18:38   #3

We're waiting mainly because we are the oceanic equivalent of greenhorns and our daughter is in a great school. We're not ready financially or mentally to make the leap right now. We might consider moving aboard after she finishes elementary school but it really is a great school and I want to stay here for her for now.
Old 01-07-2013, 19:45   #4

I hear they have Lakes in OK, right? You can start learning to sail now. Many folks suggest learning to sail in smaller boats is a good idea, helps you to understand sail trim and basics much easier than waiting until you get a big boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:57   #5

Boat: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Rabbit View Post
Hi, I'm new and stuff.

My wife and I have been talking about "What we want to be when we grow up" and it turns out that we've independently decided that living aboard would be an awesome life to pick up after our daughter has fledged from the nest.

This day of fledging is still a long ways out (she's only in 1st grade this year) and we're both relatively young so I thought I'd start planning now if we really want to succeed and try to learn what I need to learn, as it were, since neither of us knows how to sail and we don't own a boat and we live in Oklahoma.

So, yeah. I'll be around and reading and lurking as I dream of a simpler life on the sea.
Where in OK are you located? While we may not be anywhere overly beautiful or exotic, there is plenty of water around, lots of wind, and a surprising amount of knowledgeable sailors.

I can think of a few boats for sale that would be perfect starters for you and your family. They're not overly big and not overly expensive...just right for learning and weekend get aways. No time like the present!

If you're around Tulsa there are several options less than an hour away, and if you are in OKC, Lake Hefner is a great place to sail.

I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. You may think it is bad to be in OK for now, but the good news is that, as you probably know, Okies are incredibly friendly and eager to lend a hand and share any expertise they have. That's always been my experience and the very least I can do is pay it forward!
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:28   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It's never too early to get started on your sailing dreams. I worked for eleven years in Arabia before I purchased my catamaran and sailed around the world. You can learn a lot about sailing when you are landlocked - even in the middle of the Arabian desert.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
Where in OK are you located? While we may not be anywhere overly beautiful or exotic, there is plenty of water around, lots of wind, and a surprising amount of knowledgeable sailors.

I can think of a few boats for sale that would be perfect starters for you and your family. They're not overly big and not overly expensive...just right for learning and weekend get aways. No time like the present!

If you're around Tulsa there are several options less than an hour away, and if you are in OKC, Lake Hefner is a great place to sail.

I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. You may think it is bad to be in OK for now, but the good news is that, as you probably know, Okies are incredibly friendly and eager to lend a hand and share any expertise they have. That's always been my experience and the very least I can do is pay it forward!
We live in Muskogee but I work in Tulsa. I saw that there were ASA sailing courses in Claremore and Grand Lake and those are fairly close but I don't know if they're worth the money. What are these boats of which you speak?
Old 08-07-2013, 14:58   #8

Boat: None at the moment

Sorry for not responding sooner!

I am not sure about Grand, but Redbud Marina on Lake Oolagah (around Claremore) offers certain ASA classes. If you live in Muskogee you are only 20 or so miles from Fort Gibson. Our boat is there at a place called Tsa La Gi, which is a sailing club that has been around since the 70s. It's a good place with lots of good people, although the typical crowd is a bit older than we are. Regardless, they are all knowledgeable and eager to get people involved in sailing. I'd look into it, especially given your proximity.

As far as boats go, I'd start perusing Craigslist. I believe there is a Catalina 25 for sale at the club as we speak, and if interested could probably get you some more information.
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:17   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Lake sailing can be challenging, shifty winds keep you on your toes, and gets you to be creative with the sails, a great place to learn how to sail. Good luck, have fun, your adventure starts now
Erika
Old 26-07-2013, 16:30   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Never too early to start sailing. Yes, basic sailing classes are worth it. ASA or US Sailing. See if you both can do the classes and once the young one is old enough enroll them too.
kind regards,
Old 21-08-2013, 12:23   #11

I live in Tulsa and I realize this post is over a month old, but I wanted to ask if you two have ever been on a sailboat? Quick story, I sailed twice very briefly when I lived in Baltimore on the Chesapeake (once at night) and it did something to me. I fell in love with that peaceful escape and the concept of harnessing the wind to take you somewhere. My friend at that time 20 years ago talked me into getting a powerboat instead, which I had for about 15 years. Long story short, I moved back home to Oklahoma and still always longed for my own sailboat. 3 months ago me and my new wife (who never even stepped on any boat in her 41 years of being on earth) bought a Mac22 to trailer and do overnites on and it has been awesome. It's kept in dry storage at Oolagah where there is hardly any boat traffic. She has learned to swim, operates the helm 90% of the time and the one weekend we did not use it she was almost having withdraws. Boat, motor,trailer was bought for $1700, in sailable condition and has already saved me money from her weekend shopping sprees! Just kidding of course. Landlubber I had those same dreams and learning to sail on a small overniter has been a good start for us. We are still learning on our own thru reading and the internet (not advised) but ready to take them ASA classes as well. I say get out there and get started, we have an abundance of beautiful shoreline, wind and helpful people here in Oklahoma to aid in your quest to fulfill a dream!
dale4643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 13:15   #12

Boat: 21' Buccaneer

Dale offers great advice, we are just northwest of you and Grand Lake is a great place to sail. Our boat is in Missouri but we've been to Grand many times. Check craigslist, you'll find few affordable choices.
Ray4Man is offline   Reply With Quote