Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 04:34   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsch 45
Landlocked in Missour ! Hi !

Hey all,

I have been like many newer peeps a long time lurker here. Of all the boards I read routinely this board always seems to impress me with its vast knowledge, genuine neighboorlyness (if thats a word,) and lack of drama. I hope to become a part of the membership, learn by reading/listening to the more experienced, and have a great time sharing experiences.

I must admit I have been a stink pot boater for the better part of my life. Being stuck here in Misssouri, USA doesn't lend much to sailing. At any rate, thats about to change, I plan (oh yes a plan) to become a bigger part of the sailing community. In fact, I was hoping to maybe find some people on the boards here that sail in Missouri on Stockton Lake (one of the better sailing lakes.) The first part of my plan is to buy a cheap 27-30ft sailboat to "Break" my wife in on here in Missouri, back to that in a bit.

A little history on me/wife first. Me loves adventure, traveling, peacefulness, and meeting good folks. I'm currently a professional pilot by trade flying the SEA above the SEA. I have been all over the world and the reason we stay in Missouri is for my employment. My wife on the other hand, loves to travel, going to nice destinations, and meeting good folks as well. However, my wife gets extremely motion sick very easily. So as you see I have an uphill battle in convincing/preparing/changing her that sailing would be something she is interested in doing.

Back to the plan, I have just recently sold our last power boat. The plan to get into sailing (to include my wife) will start with taking sailing lessons with my wife here in Missouri. The lessons are more for her to learn, see, do and to hear it from someone other than me. Those lessons are already scheduled, and agreeed upon for this summer. The next step is to find a cheaper $5000-$7500 27-30ft sailboat we can sail on Stockton Lake here in Missouri. The lake should provide us decent sailing waters, and would be best suited for the convincing/preparing/changing my wife's opinion on sailing. After we have done that for a few years I plan to then start looking for a 35-40 ft sailboat to keep somewhere on the South Carolina coast. I am picking that area as we own our own small plane and it can be reached in less that 4 hrs. Once we locate and find a suitable to our needs sailboat (as well all know everyones needs are different) begin coastal cruising on really nice fair weather trips. The eventual end goal for me is to have my wife become a capable 1st mate, enjoy sailing, the adventure, and leisurely travel lifestyle.

I'm sure there are holes in my plan which will require updating along the way. AND if my wife never does really get a taste for it I will just sail singlehanded and she can stay home. God lover her though she has always been a really good sport about at least trying though and I know she will do that.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough, I look forward to reading more from the more experienced sailors. Also, if anyone here sails Stockton Lake in Missouri I would be interested in chatting about the atmosphere of the lake.

Best regards,
Chris
Old 16-03-2011, 04:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Landlocked in Missouri "Hi!"

Chris,

Getting started right is always the right thing to do and you have something that I think will assure you get the basics taught properly and gets you out on the water sailing now.

My wife and I started lake sailing and we had a fun time with it. A decent trailerable boat might be a good fit. You may find sail clubs where for a fixed fee you have access to club boats. I have to say up front it seemed like a lot of money but it was the cheapest sailing season we ever had and we got on the water a lot with the club. Meeting new sailors can be fun too. Anything that gets you out there more is the better plan getting started. Nothing you will learn is wasted.

All this is just the right preparation before tyou takle on a bigger boat and the complexities involved. Most important it starts out fun. If it can be fun starting you just have the best chance it will reamain fun.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:08   #3

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsch 45
Re: Landlocked in Missour ! Hi !

Paul thanks for the comments and I hope to be sailing sooner that later. My wife at least has agreed to give it a try and I think starting smaller and working up is in her and my best interest. I have actually found an Ericson 27 forsale on the lake I referred to earlier. I am planning on taking a look at next week. I want something that I can get in sail and have fun with. I was hoping to find some sailors on here from Stockton lake, as its always nice to mix hobbies of mine with my wifes favorite hobby "socializing." Anway, maybe in a few years I'll need advice on good marinas along the coast.

Chris
Old 17-03-2011, 14:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Starting right just isn't a bad idea. You can't know how far it will go but it needs to be all fun. Even the stuff that isn't the best time of your life needs to be sort of fun. You need to work at that part all the the time. It's not like it's a bad outcome in any case.

We ended up on the Chesapeake and were from Minnesota. You have a lot miore geography working for you than we did. BTW I like Missouri. I work for the teachers pension fund on a part time basis.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:48   #5

I used to do some sailing on Stockton lake back when I had a trailer sailor. I decided that I like Tablerock more so that is where I keep my new boat that isnt so trailerable. It is usually a buyers market for sailboats in the ozarks so you can generally bargain them down quite a bit.
MarkCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 16:39   #6

Can you learn without sailing lessons-thats what im going to do.
sustainsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 16:43   #7

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

I am looking forward to watching Mizzou in the NCAA tourney coming up!
Spencer
Old 18-03-2011, 10:23   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

G'Day Chris and welcome.
Good luck in getting the wife convinced sailing is for her also.
I think she'll find the motion a lot nicer than a fast power boat, but be really sure not to heel any sailboat over too far until she's completely sold on the idea, or you might fail before you get started.
Or another thought, maybe take her out on sailing multihulls........
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 18-03-2011, 11:24   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, you seem to have all the right ideas. Just be sure to get the seasickness under control - have you used the search function up top yet? There are loads of threads. Just be sure to use the Google custom search - it's before than CF's own search. I hope you have fun doing this together.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 21:23   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Good to have lessons so you don't scare the daylights out of the Mrs. whilst sailing.
Sustainsail asked if you can learn without lessons. Of course you can but you'll probably make lots of mistakes and pick up some bad habits along the way. I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!" if you'll be self taught you may as well have the right book.
kind regards,
Old 27-03-2011, 17:13   #11

Ah! The Ozarks! Beautiful in the fall. I used to canoe the Current, Jacks Fork, and Eleven Points fairly frequently. Some very fine days. Welcome, and good luck. K.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote