Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2012, 21:32   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Well GS...Here it is in a nutshell. For 5 1/2 souls and to have an inkling of privacy, you are looking at least a 45 ft. vessel. Fixer-upper that is fiberglass and cruise capable would cost $65,000. Turnkey, $110,000 with the current down market. Slip rent with livaboard fee $750 to $1000 a month. If it's a fixer, count on a monthly expenditure of at least $600 a month.
Or...you could stay where you are and save until after the kids grow up and buy a 35 ft. boat in good condition for $65.000 and go.
I take it that the children’s Dad is different than your current husband? If so, consider the ramifications of splitting the children from their dad. Sorry to be brutally honest but I was on the receiving end of that one.
Thank you for the idea in numbers. It looks about right for what I have been looking at. When it gets down to just the two of us we know we want something around the 34 ft range. Maybe for now we should just find a trawler. Lol

As far as the kids dad. ::sigh:: unfortunately, their relationship should be more than what it is. But... In the last 2 years he has taken them twice. Once for spring break and one week in July of last year. I have tried multiple times to get him to see/take them but I end up getting excuses. After 10 years of sporadic visits and months without even a phone call...I give up. In my notice of intent to move, I offered a revised schedule of 7 weeks of summer break, every spring break, one week of winter break and alternating years for thanksgiving. Even if I can get him to take them for the summer...it's more time than they spend with him now and it's only a two hour drive for our meeting point now. I am so sorry to hear that you had a bad situation with your ex. I hope things have been repaired since. : )

Old 09-11-2012, 16:12   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Re: Kids, pets, 2,300 miles, no boat and little money.

Aloha and welcome to the forum of many opinions!
Good to have you here and talking with us. Whatever you decide I don't think most of us would agree that you should wait to get out onto the water.
Most of us old guys think that we should have done it earlier.
Take your whole family to the nearest marina you can get to when you get into the area you'll be residing and start talking to liveaboards and marina managers and shop around for the best deals that will suit your needs. If it is a trawler you'll need for the space then so be it.
I know the 35 footer I once owned would have been good for a couple and maybe a little kid. The 42 footer might be good for 4 but because of its beam there isn't much room. The Cal 2-46 and the Celestial 46 that I baby sat for the owners would accomodate a family of 5 if the weather was nice enough to get away from each other from time to time. Cold weather can cause cabin fever on boats when there are a few people on them.
Good luck in whatever you choose but as many have said, it won't be the cheapest option, i. e. an apartment.
kind regards,

Old 09-11-2012, 16:51   #33

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Webwench offers some sound advice... however, you might consider looking at retired fishing vessels that have sold/lost their license as a starting point. Many of them are reasonably priced, roomy and provide the ability to cruise a little in what spare time you have after you tend to their seaworthiness and mechanical fitness. They are roomier than sailboats, not as romantic, perhaps, but will satisfy your yearning to try living on the water. They are relatively easy to set up as a liveaboard and to my opinionated eye, charming to be aboard (ex-commercial fisherman).
I admire your sense of adventure and glad your family shares your desire to live a different lifestyle.
One thing to remember is if it doesn't work out, nothing has to be forever but once you get bit by the 'liveaboard bug' it is hard to shake it. Phil
Old 09-11-2012, 22:05   #34

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
My honest advice, take it for what it's worth. This is about cruising, not about living aboard in a marina or a mooring, which is much less complicated.

- Dump the dog. My wife and I both had dogs, I love dogs, she loves dogs.
- Get a boat that fits what you want to do with it. Don't buy a coastal cruiser in crap shape to go offshore, and don't buy an offshore boat do sit in a marina.
- Find someone who WORKS AND SAILS ON BOATS. Not just a mechanic, not just a sailor, but someone who is competent in both areas to help you find something. Just text them before you go to visit a boat and buy them lunch afterwards. Unless you guys feel comfortable inspecting standing rigging and head plumbing yourselves, bring someone else.
the dog is more than a dog to true dog lover for lot of families the dog is a part of the family so" dumping the dog" is not an option for everyone
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
the dog is more than a dog to true dog lover for lot of families the dog is a part of the family so" dumping the dog" is not an option for everyone
But some things just do not go together, like electricity and water. Or some dogs and boats and quarantine officers.

I know one guy who sailed solo with a small dog. They did just fine. Maybe if your dog is small enough and if it grew up on the boats it will be fine too.

Dogs live shorter lives than men so if I had a dog I would probably just hold on and not go sailing too far now.

b.
Old 13-11-2012, 10:25   #36

Thank you, everyone for your advice and opinions. It helps to keep me thinking about possible scenarios and I definitely don't want to go into it thinking that it will be easy. (I know it won't)

As an update, I have been officially approved for my job transfer and will be leaving Ohio December 3rd to head to the Santa Maria area in California. My oldest son and the cat will be the only ones coming with me at first. Hubby will stay behind with the other two kids and the dog until mid-Jan.

I figure it will give me some down time to be able to walk around the marinas and check out some boat yards to get a better idea of what we want/what is suitable/what we can afford. Lol. Heck of a combination isn't it? From what I can tell, there is a pretty long waiting list for liveaboard slips in that area as well. So, there will be lots for me to figure out.

Again, thank you all.

: )
Old 13-11-2012, 10:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail

"Dumping the dog" is definitely not an option for us. While I can understand the logic behind not having one, she is a part of our family. We have however, decided that she will be our last one.
: )
Old 13-11-2012, 10:41   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fixing up/restoring a boat while 5 people and a dog live on it?? I can't imagine, but best of luck in your dream. I hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 11:30   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Congrats on the transfer and good luck in you 'new life' out there. Do not overworry things as some options will simply fall off as you go. There rest is an issue of making best choices at any given time.

All the best and let us know how it all works out.

b.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:37   #40

Please reflect upon your present mindset.
Given the scenario outlined in all your posts up to and including your last one, clearly your wisest choice of action at this time would be to look for an apartment that would accommodate the needs of your family. It would afford you more time [months perhaps] to explore the live aboard options should that continue to be the family choice. You AND your husband [and ALL the children] would be able to express their opinion as to the suitability of the vessel and the proposed mooring.
You would not be attempting to make a solo, critical, fundamental decision affecting the family's physical and mental while being under insane time constraints. It sounds like you may be the primary decision maker in this marriage but even if thats the case [by consent ,acquiescence or default] you have placed unreasonable time pressures upon your self.
You AND THE FAMILY have more factors to consider vis a vis boats [as has been pointed out to you in the numerous responses] than you could possibly properly reflect upon in such a short time frame. Structure the family [including the Dog] in a safe, spacious [sq footage, grassed run, play & poop areas] and explore your other options AT LEISURE.
For I fear to otherwise is to run the very real risk of "acting in haste and repenting at leisure"
Old 13-11-2012, 12:01   #41
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Like Rebel said, Dump the dog, harsh but a dose of reality for a family with three kids on a budget looking for a boat.. by dump I mean find a good home wi a loving family, not hard to do.

Don't worry about being the boat no one likes, most sailors love crazy people and only crazy people take their kids sailing. The best thing we ever did was go sailing wi kids, it opens more doors and greases more wheel than you can imagine. Just remember when you are stuck and having a difficult time with a official or random person, bring your cutest most charming kid along - whoosh problems disappear.

Dont rush! While your immediate area may not be ideal for boat purchases, mexico is. and it really isnt that far. You also need to suss put the liveaboard aituatin, what are the waiting lists for slips? for liveaboard slips?

Instead of rushing in spend a year making relationships in the live aboard and sailing community, it will help you get to grips with your potential future and present opportunities for a boat purchase from the community.

I'll say it again, as a parent of kids and a cruiser - your kids are your biggest liability and asset. Remember that, you will be surprised what doors even a teenager will open for you if you create opportunities.

Lastly your kids are old enough to make your life hell if they arent consulted and communicated with. They need to be fully onboard with the process and dumping them on some smelly boat that is barely fit for living while you and the spouse learn about sailing and boat maintenance iintoe process of refitting a boat that doesn't allow roo for the same privacy they once had nor the comforts of a living room with tv, Xbox etc is a recipe for anger and resentment.

Bringing them in slowly to the idea of an "adventure" is another kettle of fish.

Good luck.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 12:50   #42

To soothe fears, we have our living situation already figured out for when we arrive. It is a house, not an apartment or the first cheap shoddy boat that I find. ; ). With the wait list being what it is, I realize that this isn't something we will be able to do when we come out. However, being that close to the coast and having the availability to see the thousands of options of boats (types/layouts/extras/space) will give us a huge advantage over where we are now. It is a major step towards where we want to be. No, I will not make a decision on my own. I simply said that me being there ahead of everyone will give me some down time to look around. Have you ever tried to tour a potential home or apartment with 3 kids? It's chaos. Lol. Especially since we won't be looking to buy right away, I prefer the peace, quiet, calm, serenity of being able to wander around on my own.
; )
Old 13-11-2012, 12:53   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor
Like Rebel said, Dump the dog, harsh but a dose of reality for a family with three kids on a budget looking for a boat.. by dump I mean find a good home wi a loving family, not hard to do.

Don't worry about being the boat no one likes, most sailors love crazy people and only crazy people take their kids sailing. The best thing we ever did was go sailing wi kids, it opens more doors and greases more wheel than you can imagine. Just remember when you are stuck and having a difficult time with a official or random person, bring your cutest most charming kid along - whoosh problems disappear.

Dont rush! While your immediate area may not be ideal for boat purchases, mexico is. and it really isnt that far. You also need to suss put the liveaboard aituatin, what are the waiting lists for slips? for liveaboard slips?

Instead of rushing in spend a year making relationships in the live aboard and sailing community, it will help you get to grips with your potential future and present opportunities for a boat purchase from the community.

I'll say it again, as a parent of kids and a cruiser - your kids are your biggest liability and asset. Remember that, you will be surprised what doors even a teenager will open for you if you create opportunities.

Lastly your kids are old enough to make your life hell if they arent consulted and communicated with. They need to be fully onboard with the process and dumping them on some smelly boat that is barely fit for living while you and the spouse learn about sailing and boat maintenance iintoe process of refitting a boat that doesn't allow roo for the same privacy they once had nor the comforts of a living room with tv, Xbox etc is a recipe for anger and resentment.

Bringing them in slowly to the idea of an "adventure" is another kettle of fish.

Good luck.
Awesome! A fellow crazy! Lol. Thank you, immensely for your input and I could foresee some of the problems you mentioned. I also know exactly which kid I would bring along. It's my middle child who kindly shakes people's hand and opens the doors for everyone. Lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: