Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2006, 09:42   #1

Boat: Ecco Domani - 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug
Just Signed Up

Hello - I've just signed up to the forum as I see a lot of experience and knowledge for the picking. Great site! My husband and I live in Bremerton Washington USA and presently own a 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug. We owned sailboats prior to buying Ecco Domani. We have been kicking around the idea of heading south and "doing" Mexico through Panama Canal and up to Florida. At present we are in the dilemma of not knowing if our tug is the boat of choice and are very open to suggestions about this and/or if there are many who motor cruise. If there are, could you tell me what type of boat you have, fueling issues, how it does on open sea conditions, etc.?
laflood@attbi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 11:04   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Trial cruise

Why don't you try a trial cruise around Vancouver Island; this cruise will get you out into the "big" stuff and you will be more able to develop an informed opinion on how well your boat will do. There is a new book out that does a good job of describing good cruising areas; and, how to cruise the west side of the Island; unfortunately I don't remember the name of it, but it is something like "Westward Bound".

Don't be put off by the "Island" label of this cruise; Vancouver Island is larger than Japan and one third the size of Britain, so you'll have an adventure I promise.

You need to know what you are doing on this cruise (remember coastal cruising is often much more challenging than out on there on the deep blue sea); currents can be profound at Easterly Northern end of the islands. The number of ship wrecks off of the west coast of the Island is high. The reason the famous West Coast Trail on the Island was developed was to offer ship wrecked victims and area to walk once they came ashore. If you cruise in the summer, you'll be okay. The latest I would go is with a cruise that ends at the end of September and doesn't start until May. Realize your weather is very much like our weather, June can be a crap shoot as to the quality of the weather. The very best time to cruise would be from 15 July to 15 August.

For this cruise, if you don't have one, I'd recommend you install a chart plotter before you go.

Good luck
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 11:24   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard!

from another in the Puget Sound.

It seems us Westerners, on the forum, are starting to catch up to the other coast............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 11:34   #4

rsn48

I hate to break this news to you. But if you're referring to Vancouver island. West from the mainland of British Columbia. I would have to say you're wrong.

That island is barely half the size of Japan. Sorry but I have a map near this computer. And I'm looking at it right now!!

England is bigger than Japan but not by much!!

Oh!! Welcome aboard laflood.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 12:05   #5

Boat: Ecco Domani - 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug
We cruise extensively (usually April through August) all up and down B.C. coast and S.E. Alaska in our tug. We've been planning on doing the circum... of Vancouver Island and most likely will within the next year or so.
laflood@attbi.com is offline   Reply With Quote