Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-01-2007, 10:48   #1

Smile just saying hi

hi everyone
i have been here lurking for several months and read post here every day thought it was time to introduce myself.
i hope to get a ship and live aboard one day. i have alot of experiance with sail boats i sailed sunfishes and lazers when i was a kid and in high school i sent my junior year on a 156 foot gaff rigged schooner i sailed from bermuda to venizualia and to nova scotia all in all 9 months acting as any other crew member lol.
now twenty years i want to get back i really really miss it.

Ashley

Old 10-01-2007, 13:17   #2

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Welcome aboard. You said that you spent your Junior year in high school on a 156 gaff rigg schooner. Sound like a great way to spend a year of your high school!!! ...can you tell us more about it?

Roger

Old 10-01-2007, 14:35   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Ashley,
Hope you enjoy the site and find it useful.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 10-01-2007, 15:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Ashley,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you find this forum as fun as I do.
I know we all have different definitions of ships and boats but what I learned in the Navy is that a ship is a vessel you can put a boat aboard and a boat is a vessel that you can put aboard a ship. There is a Navy exception. Submarines are referred to as boats even though they are much larger than a lot of ships.
I think your 156 gaff rigged schooner is a ship and I think my 42 foot cutter is a boat.
Now, we'll probably here from a lot of other folks about their definitions but that's a good start, don't you think.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 10-01-2007, 17:35   #5

for high school i was at boarding school and one of the programs was being on board a ship most of the time they were in europe but the year i was there we stayed in the atlantic and the carribian. we started out in camdan maine stayed there for two or so months actully our ship was in on the hard getting a repaint i think. but we chartered another ship till ours was ready in bermuda not to mention skippping hurricane season lol no heat no running water, it was a trip waking up in the morning going topside and breaking the ice in the water barrels to brush our teeth or my first introduction to the use of joy. we held classes when we were not sailing.
we stayed there till the end of november and flew down to bermuda and held classes for a bit and started island hopping. stopping at each island for a bit to have classes. though there were a few crew members and of course teachers and a cook lol (by the way i have found you can anger the capt. but never ever piss off the cook.) we sailed the boat went aloft. we stood watches no matter what the weather and i had more then my share of storms.
we made our way to south america slowly over the months and finally to trinadad and then sailed up to nova scotia which took i think about 6 to 10 days some where around there and ended in boston.
it was a experience i loved but did not truly apprecate till i was older cause o my gawd i hated gally duty but i realize now i miss it more and more and i want very much to live aboard again.

Ashley
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aescleah
for high school i was at boarding school and one of the programs was being on board a ship most of the time they were in europe but the year i was there we stayed in the atlantic and the carribian. we started out in camdan maine stayed there for two or so months actully our ship was in on the hard getting a repaint i think. but we chartered another ship till ours was ready in bermuda not to mention skippping hurricane season lol no heat no running water, it was a trip waking up in the morning going topside and breaking the ice in the water barrels to brush our teeth or my first introduction to the use of joy. we held classes when we were not sailing.
we stayed there till the end of november and flew down to bermuda and held classes for a bit and started island hopping. stopping at each island for a bit to have classes. though there were a few crew members and of course teachers and a cook lol (by the way i have found you can anger the capt. but never ever piss off the cook.) we sailed the boat went aloft. we stood watches no matter what the weather and i had more then my share of storms.
we made our way to south america slowly over the months and finally to trinadad and then sailed up to nova scotia which took i think about 6 to 10 days some where around there and ended in boston.
it was a experience i loved but did not truly apprecate till i was older cause o my gawd i hated gally duty but i realize now i miss it more and more and i want very much to live aboard again.

Ashley
Bugger,now,Im just jealous.Gidday "A".That would be just soo good to experience.Even the galley duty.Mudnut.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: