Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Adelaide
Boat: Formosa CT 41
Posts: 1
Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific area

We are planning to head over to the South Pacific for a long cruise around. Had a few weeks in the VaVal region last year on a Sunsail boat and thought the area was wonderful.
Im interested in hearing from anyone whose cruising these areas now!!
__________________

__________________
Our boat Kalida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Heathsville, VA
Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Posts: 1,459
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

Welcome aboard, Kalida! (Not currently cruising the wonderful S.Pacific...but wished I were!)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,583
Images: 240
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kalida.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:05   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,457
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

G'Day Kalida, and welcome to CF.

Ann and I have been caught in the South Pacific Eddy since 1990, and still like the area as a cruising ground. Currently in Tassie, but about to head north towards the sun... still nice down here, but the temperatures are sinking and so is our enthusiasm!

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33   #5
Registered User
 
Quintessa's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Boat: Powercat Stanyon 14 m
Posts: 36
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

We are in Tassie also and starting to move north back to sunshine and some heat. We are planing going to Louisaide on the rally to learn the tricks getting into new countries by boat. Also nice to have some company on our big first crossing.

After that probably get up into Solomons or further north to Micronesia to avoid wet season and cyclones.
__________________
Quintessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 19:45   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 04:28   #7
Registered User
 
Quintessa's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Boat: Powercat Stanyon 14 m
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Kalida, and welcome to CF.

Ann and I have been caught in the South Pacific Eddy since 1990, and still like the area as a cruising ground. Currently in Tassie, but about to head north towards the sun... still nice down here, but the temperatures are sinking and so is our enthusiasm!

Cheers,

Jim
Have you left Tassie yet. We crossed the ditch on Monday. Serviced motors in eden and heading north. Planning to be in Batemans bay tomorrow and looks like we will be there for a couple of days.
__________________
Quintessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 04:42   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,457
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessa View Post
Have you left Tassie yet. We crossed the ditch on Monday. Serviced motors in eden and heading north. Planning to be in Batemans bay tomorrow and looks like we will be there for a couple of days.
Well, in our grand tradition of cruising, our plans have changed!

Ann has been having escalating difficulties with her two year old Titanium knees, so she consulted a local ortho. He has laid the hard word on her: go back to the states, see your original surgeon and get something done before you do yourself serious harm! Not what we wanted to hear, but not a total surprise.

So, the boat will stay here in Hobart and freeze herself while we fly back to California and a lot of unpleasant activities. We both would rather be heading more slowly north... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Enjoy FNQ and a great cruising season... all of you!

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elder's lament.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	59333  
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:19   #9
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Just joined your forum and wondered whose out their travelling the South Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, in our grand tradition of cruising, our plans have changed!

Ann has been having escalating difficulties with her two year old Titanium knees, so she consulted a local ortho. He has laid the hard word on her: go back to the states, see your original surgeon and get something done before you do yourself serious harm! Not what we wanted to hear, but not a total surprise.

So, the boat will stay here in Hobart and freeze herself while we fly back to California and a lot of unpleasant activities. We both would rather be heading more slowly north... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Enjoy FNQ and a great cruising season... all of you!

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,
Sorry to hear about Ann's knee issues. Good luck with it all and hope everything goes well. Tell the ortho not to try and get away with cheap Chinese ones this time
Give Ann our best too.
Vic and Sandy.
__________________

__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.