Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 03:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Just Hung up the Corporate Wardrobe

you want to join Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers lots of retired sailors,sans boat slumming it on other peoples boats around the world,which is now your oyster!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 03:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
time for new avatar .............. that doesn't have a suit and tie

this will greatly help you in your cruising dreams
That my friend is not a suit, it Canberra Camouflage,
are you north or south side
Some of the guys that crew Brindabella in Sydney to Hobart would be good contacts
Old 15-02-2012, 03:55   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
20 years ago I explained to my father that once I inherited that I would p#ss all his money up against a wall .....he still remembers that conversation , and it did the trick in getting him to spend at least a bit more on enjoying himself. I just hope I haven't shot myself in the foot .

I hope you have shot yourself in foot and that your Dad spends his last dollar right before he takes his last breath. It is his money and it was wasted work if he doesn't get to enjoy it!
Old 15-02-2012, 04:12   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Welcome to CF and I'm counting the days till I can do the same. Sounds like you know what your doing I would just start looking at boats you will know her when you see her.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:43   #20

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I hope you have shot yourself in foot and that your Dad spends his last dollar right before he takes his last breath. It is his money and it was wasted work if he doesn't get to enjoy it!
My dad learned to push himself with 5 packs of Camel cigaretts a day in military training and at least a gal of strong sun tea and at 62 died after 17 heart attacts and never got to enjoy retirement, sad but true so he wanted me to go out and enjoy life for him. I think of him almost every time were on the boat sence he was the one who took me off shore at 9 years old and I fell in love with the ocean.

Sorry for the drift but the black suit got to me
Old 15-02-2012, 11:55   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwalschots View Post
....just decided to get out of the corporate world and follow my dreams, not sure yet how I am going to do it!. ...

Congratulations!

I started firing myself back in 2001. Haven't had a real job since.

The suits are all long-gone, but I think I still have a pair of wing-tips around here somewhere.

Left to go cruising the second time in 2004 and never came back (and don't plan to).

Whichever option(s) you choose the most important thing is to get out there and do it!

Enjoy!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:56   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Single sailors, boat or yacht club, sailing lessons, all good ways to meet fellow sailors. And offer yourself as crew--even if that's "I'm only good as rail meat"--in the local racing circuits. Again, it is how to meet other people and get your name out there.

Personally, I'd say buy the boat at home, don't complicate it and gamble with customs, paperwork, legalities, contracts, as well as the boat buying process all at the same time, unless you're real comfortable with that. Tax issues, documentation, visas, getting yourself and boat in or out of wherever...it certainly is possible, it just complicates your life.

Of course if you want to sail the Carib and not your home waters, it sure does make the trip shorter to buy over "here" instead of hving to cross the Pacific before you start. There are a number of threads around by folks buying "foreign" in the US, take a gander.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 03:15   #23

Boat: Young Sun 35
Send a message via Skype™ to fwalschots

Hey guys..

Thanks to all for your encouragement and advice. So many things to think about. No rush at the moment. still have until july to make my decision on what to do. Looking at yachts for sale now in the US. I am sure buying in the US is not too difficult. Assume you would have to get the boat Aussie reg before departing?..

Does anyone know how long your allowed to stay in the US for?... even heading to the Bahamas ur still in US waters..

PS. I am on the Southside here in Canberra.
fwalschots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 03:46   #24

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome and Good Luck... I'm thinking someone can photoshop a tropical themed shirt over the avatar suit.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 03:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Welcome and Good Luck... I'm thinking someone can photoshop a tropical themed shirt over the avatar suit.
Hey Dan... think a Hawian shirt will improve the look?...Nah.. leave that to people who look good in Hawian shirts.. if they exist..lol
Old 16-02-2012, 04:21   #26

Quote:
Hey Dan... think a Hawian shirt will improve the look?...Nah.. leave that to people who look good in Hawian shirts.. if they exist..lol
How about a raiders shirt, on second thought that would label you a looser
Old 16-02-2012, 04:26   #27

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
If you're going to be in tropical climates, shirtless might work.

But then again, you've probably been wearing the suit so long it might make you look too pale.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 04:33   #28

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Definitely agree with take your time and dont be hasty. We (my wife and myself) are Hasty by nature and are looking at our our 3rd boat in under 4 years. Loved Mono's got one, got tired of heeling days on end, and worrying about groundings, got a cat, miss the heeling until I am on a boat heeling more than an hour,
Now she wants a bigger cat. Had we spent a few thousand chartering and traveling and really doing our due diligence, we would own the boat we REALLy want and have ultimately saved thousands and been way ahead rather than refiting two boats on the way......
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 04:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Definitely agree with take your time and dont be hasty. We (my wife and myself) are Hasty by nature and are looking at our our 3rd boat in under 4 years. Loved Mono's got one, got tired of heeling days on end, and worrying about groundings, got a cat, miss the heeling until I am on a boat heeling more than an hour,
Now she wants a bigger cat. Had we spent a few thousand chartering and traveling and really doing our due diligence, we would own the boat we REALLy want and have ultimately saved thousands and been way ahead rather than refiting two boats on the way......
At least being on my own will lessen the decision somewhat.. but ur right I will do heaps of due dilligence even that's no guarantee. Crewing may be the way to go firstly...

cheers

Frans
Old 16-02-2012, 09:11   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"even heading to the Bahamas ur still in US waters.."
Don't tell the Bahamians that. Just 'cause they'll take our dollars, doesn't mean they've been conquered.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote