Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 21:35   #1

Boat: Hartley Southseas 38'
Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...

And to say Hi.
My partner, Sofie and I, Steve, are the new owners of "Rhombus" a Hartley Southseas 38 featured Here...
https://vimeo.com/79173093
Yes, another fabulous floating footpath ;-). As you can see she tramps along at a pretty pace and we are looking forward to many adventures in our retirement.
Don't take too much notice of my username, its just my trading name, I am neither in Burma nor a Marine ;-)
Anyhoo, we are in the process of getting the ship boatshape, or something and are heading to Opua shortly for a haul-out and a cleanup, maybe a spot of paint or two and working on a wishlist of things to do.
I have been a boatbuilder for several companies and individuals over the years as well as a builder of houses and all things wooden. Must have built more than a dozen Invader 22s back in the UK (hate FRP, I still shudder at the amount of itching and scratching I endured for the sake of pleasure for others.) My pride and joy was the repair and refit of Ethel back in 2000, 1896 Logan Gaff Rigged Yawl, replaced port quarter which had rotted out due to lying in the mud in the Firth of Thames. Last time I saw her was moored at the Maritime Museum in Auckland but now she appears to have been repainted in white as opposed to the glorious black she once was.
No doubt I will have some hairy moments to share, we have already run over the mooring line and managed to beach her within an hour of purchase... DUH!
We will improve. ;-)
Cheers, glad to be aboard.
S
Stevie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 04:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve & Sofie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 09:13   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Ha! Just had to read your post with the title you had! The song popped in to my head right away. Showing my age for sure.

Nice vid. She moves along quickly and well. You will definitely get noticed out there with your custom paint. Love that too!

Welcome to CF! We spent two weather seasons in Whangarei and loved it there. Fair winds. You're going to have fun.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 20:34   #4

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Hi there, I'm t'other and thank you for the welcome. This is all pretty new for me, the whole boating thing but as always , she tries anything once usually the second time back to apologise. Steve wanted this and who am I to say otherwise. We have moved to Northland NZ to actually retire and hey who could argue with a boat right? So yeah I do the photo stuff and that's where you'll probably find my contributions but may I just say, these forums are interesting, educational, and funny as well. I'm thoroughly enjoying the reading and the archive stuff on ferro is great .It is a gentle reminder of how different we all are.
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote