Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 09:23   #1

Boat: 1977 37' BUILDER: CHINO TYPE: V1
pirate Just Bought a Fiberglass on Water . . . HELP !

Hi Everyone my name is Kimmy and I am going to attempt to rebuild my fiberglass on water fishing boat!!! It is completely gutter, no motor engine, nothing!! So I am looking to all of you for advice!!

Where does this girl start?? I won't say a bathroom because there's one on the dock...There's no floor right now. More pictures to be added soon! I just got the keys last night!

I have so many questions and need answers!! So if you can help a fellow Newbie to the water please do!!

I was thinking flooring first and ideas if this is the right choice?? After cleaning it all of course because it smells like diesel and rain water is everywhere inside!

Can laminate wood flooring be installed in a boat?

Thanks again for all of your help in advance!!
Kimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3k23p53l95T05U15P3a7qb1991b7fc9b31153.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	18085  
jdillenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 09:33   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Find an engineer, check him out at your own marina, and at others. Your boat and your own future depend on his skills.
He'll find an engine for your, and drive, and rebuild the rudders, and controls and so on and on.
Meanwhile you get to clean, scrub, grind and paint everything except the engineer.
It's still going to cost you lot's, are you sure?
Old 29-07-2010, 09:37   #3

I definitely want to conquer this project!!! Is there any websites you might know of that I might be able to utilize how to do all of this?? I wanted to paint, maybe put laminate wood flooring down, pretty much start from inside out!! Oh and I don't have a door any ideas where one might buy this and other important stuff??

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Old 29-07-2010, 09:52   #4

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Looks like one hell of a project. I would start by making a list of everything required to bring it up to snuff. Prioritize the items on your list. For me first would be the mechanical things like motor and controls, the cosmetic items would be low on the list. Are you planning to fish or live aboard or travel ???? Also estimate what each item will cost so you can plan for the expense.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 09:57   #5

My goal first is to get it out on to the marina!! LoL then I would love to travel to catalina or san francisco!! There are no motors, controls nothing, previous owner too everything even the sticky no skid stickers in the shower (think its the shower but no faucets) It is completely empty, I'm being optimistic, now that its empty I can put what I want where I want it! LoL
Old 29-07-2010, 10:02   #6

Can regular materials and items go in a boat?? Can I install laminate wood flooring or is there another material you can suggest?? I saw a saw sofa bed from ikea for $99 but not sure if its too heavy??
Old 29-07-2010, 10:05   #7

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
If it is gutted now is the time for the motors and controls. If I may ask what did you pay for it and how much do you have to spend?
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 10:10   #8

The right wood to use on a boat is 'BALTIC PINE'. As a PlyWood it is stronger than most, far more wet proof, and very stable. You'll need a spoke shave, a block plane, a power planer, and a decent hand saw (power saws are dangerous and costly for the amount of cutting you'll need to do. A generator or shore power line with an earth leakage trip. A caravan/camping shop will be much cheaper than many a chandlers.
I put a small floor in recently using paper towels and resin to fill the gaps and fix the floor permanently. First job though is to route all the underfloor stuff, like a smooth pipe to pull cable through; piping from low points to the (hand?) bilge pumps; drinking water hoses. I left small hatches that allow me to stuff plastic milk bottles beneath. It's either buoyancy or a store for powder type stuff that will last for ever if kept dry like this.
Spans of more than two foot will need battens for support, even with 1/2" ply. Everything below floor level wants a good bitumen type sealing paint on it. Ask the Engineer, he'll know what works over time. If the underfloor areas are sealed, and pumped dry now and then, hopefully you won't get smells from down there.
Then it goes on. You'll get more confident as you make progress.
My marina neighbour has been resurrecting a Titanic style Lifeboat, two years and should be finished soon. He's used the right materials everywhere. Keep a note of what you use, it will affect the eventual saleprice, insurance and valuation if you choose well.
And Ask the CruisersForum.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:11   #9

The beginning:-

Sorry, double submission. Please ignore/delete.
I like the new forum layout but
Old 29-07-2010, 10:12   #10

I bought it for $500 and spend I guess a paycheck every month to fix it til its up and running!

Where would I get all that?? There is a guy who works and lives on the marina and said he'll help, I am using his knowledge for everything I have no clue on..which is everything!

See I wanted to fix back of boat to be living/dining room I guess. Put in laminate flooring if possible get a sleeping item so when I'm tearing it up on the boat and get tired I can stay over.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:19   #11

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely use that!!! I am so excited!! I just want to do something productive with my time that will pay off when all the hard work is over...no where in the near future!!!
Old 29-07-2010, 10:26   #12

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdillenger View Post
Thank you so much!!! I will definitely use that!!! I am so excited!! I just want to do something productive with my time that will pay off when all the hard work is over...no where in the near future!!!
youve got the right attitude from someone who is 1 year and 2 months into their own project, and has the interior done, bit it still looks like a piece from the outside, i say good luck!!!
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 10:28   #13

The person sold it to me quoted "There are only 2 days that are best in boating...the day you buy it and the day you sell it" I am ignoring that all together and jumping into my boat!!
Old 29-07-2010, 10:37   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
ok--you are in the working port of lost angeles?? are you in wilmington?? or san pedro??? is a difference when you go to look fo stuff. you want to go to wilmington. is cheaper and more plentiful, at least used to eb when i lived there--
500 dollars is a decent price for a stripped boat--gutted0-mighta been too high, is a way loto f work to rebuild, but you can do it in your own way.
start with engines--seek used , twins and try to get th3em with trannoies and shafts and suxch--look for boat salvage yards--there should be some remaining in wilmington and san pedro area,despite the modernization anti recreational boater efforts...the tuna fleet and fishing fleet was on terminal island --see if you can find any of them and be friends with them,as many used arts are arranged like old time marriages , from that place. across from th e fishing fleet there is a marina--al larson marina. should be a world of info there , too--if you can manage to get the boat there , is a decent place with lower rents than most. drive over and check out terminal island from al larsons to across the water there to the old fishing fleet. there used to be a place the fishing fleet used to get parts---they didnt pay worst marine prices ever--find that place.
find ace hardware. should be one in san pedro. find used boat parts places. srtay out and far from worst marine , if you donot want to spend 400 percent mark-up.
what is beam on that boat-she looks like a home made mod of someone's hull...willit be stable in the rollers called pacific ocean? or is she better off in a bay?? when you fin dparts you think you need and they are out of sequence-get them anyway--will be harder to find them later. search craigs list and ebay for parts and pieces. tour other trawlers for ideas.

goood luck and have fun !!!! in 1990 i bought a gutted and stripped sloop in wilmington--but i paid 3k--mine had head and bulkheads and sails.
get the book that is the 12v bible--i forget the real name of it .. these guys will fill that in....if you have any questins you feel i may know answer to--is ok to go ahead and pm or ask outright here...oh, yes, and i am a female also....
wilmington prop for the prop....they are cool...go in with as little on as possible--play the game---they may still give discounts for cheesecake..LOL--we got 2/3 off retail price for our bathing suit day at the prop shop..LOL...have fun ..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 10:52   #15

I'm in Wilmington actually!! I haven't driven around to see what I can utilize since I am newbie to it all. I don't even know the area!!!

Tags
fiberglass