Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 10:49   #1

Just baught a CSY 44 and ineed info

We just baught a CSY 44 and are looking for a Owners Group. Also would like advice on picking out a new windlass and chain. I plan on using a ronca 40kg as my primary hook and a fortress to help keep the weight down. will a 5/16 HT chain 300'' work and how much windlass do I need?

Scott
safowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME aboard, safowle.

CSYman might be able to help you with specific "CSY" questions (he's a very knowledgeable owner of a CSY 33).
Your specific equipment questions might best be posed under the Engineering & Systems heading.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:10   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Scott,
Welcome aboard! You might want to search our forum for "anchor" or "rocna" or "windlass" and see if you get any responses. I think 3/8" chain is a better choice but just my opinion so wait for the experts to respond.
Hope you can find the answers to your questions. Usually in meets and greets we find out where you sail (helps with anchor questions too) and how much experience you have and if you sail with your family, etc. etc.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:17   #4
Eternal Member

The CSY44 is a very heavy boat (built for the charter trade back before they knew how strong fiberglass really is).

I agree with SkipperJohn...3/8" chain would be better, preferably 3/8" High Tensile.

Whether you need 300' or not depends on where you're planning to cruise. I have 200' of 3/8" HT chain on my 28K lb displacement sloop. It's been quite enough from Maine to Grenada, and all points in between.

I, too, use a Fortress...a big one for my boat (FX-37). It's my primary anchor when in the home waters of the Chesapeake Bay. But, soon as I head out for other points north or south, I change the primary to my faithful 45lb genuine CQR (yeah....I know what the new anchor affectionados say about the CQR, but if you know it it's just fine). Also have a 35lb Danforth HT for backup.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 12:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We had a CSY 33 and you do need 3/8 G4 chain for a Rocna 40 with a CSY 44. If you think you need that much anchor you should match the chain to go with it.

I think having 200 ft of chain is conservatiive. Add another 100 ft of nylon plus another 200 ft of nylon and a second anchor if you want to go with more. Two hooks have a purpose too from time to time. It is possible to lose an anchor as much as you try not too. Stuff happens.

Unless you expect to have to anchor in water deep enough to need 300 ft of chain for a primary anchor for slightly more than ordinary situations I wouldn't. 300 ft with anchore is about 600 lbs. I would use the money and weight wiser. I think a second anchor is worth more than 100 of extra chain. I would also add a lunch hook and nylon for the stern. When you mean to stop you should. The CSYMan can tell you the story about why. It convinced me.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 02:55   #6

did yo hear abt the csy storey ?
The story behind how these CSY boats were conceived, designed, manufactured and sold is information of particular interest to CSY owners and prospective owners. There are many CSY owners that have contributed to the knowledge we now have. John R. (Jack) Van Ost himself has provided invaluable information about his experience running CSY as the president and CEO. This section will hopefully relate this story, from a historical perspective, to gain a better understanding of what was going on in the days these fine boats were being built, 1977 - 1981.
michell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy