Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 10:50   #1

Boat: Freedom 39 PHS
Just another newjack

Hi all,
I've profited from the wealth of knowledge here while reading everything from local cruising grounds to boat buying decisions. I am very thankful for the efforts on behalf of the many folks who have taken a bit of their time to share their experience and we hope to contribute in our own right soon.

We're prospecting for a "mild" pilothouse design along the lines of the Wauquiez PS range, but fiscal realities have brought us to the Freedom 39 PH's, quirky unstayed rig and all. We've (somewhat) passed the dreaming phase, taken some US Sailing courses, done some guest sailing aboard others' boats, and saved a decent enough chunk to get started. I'm mostly through the build of a CLC Jimmy Skiff with the sailing rig just to keep tiller instincts alive and develop our ability to read the wind and water if only in a freshwater setting for now, while we find something that fits our criteria and budget.

We are based in the NY area and I've enjoyed reading of folks' experience and suggestions for cruising the LI sound, which is about the only place I can find with a reasonably affordable mooring for anything we might end up buying. The basic idea would be to buy something affordable, moor locally, cruise the sound for a year or two, then list the house and hope someone bites. Along the way, I suppose we'd discover whether or not we actually like the design, and if the unstayed cat schooner's upwind performance is that big of a deal breaker.

We love a good upwind beat for the excitement, but I suspect over long distances we'd favor a comfortable downwind run, so I guess we'll just have to find out for ourselves. On the bright side the Mate has a good spirit for the idea and is more eager than me to get started, no seasickness logged in several cases of near-shore passage making. As for the name, ex Air Force, though far from a captain, just an enlisted man.

Look forward to joining you all out there,
SA

P.S. We've got a family connection to Great Kills Yacht Club (If you knew a crazy white haired giant named Spike) but can't find anyone servicing moorings in the field. Pity! but sounds like LI sound might be a better home base anyway. Give a shout if you're from the neighborhood.
CaptAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 17:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Just another newjack

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SA.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:38   #3

Boat: Freedom 39 PHS

A quick update: we've just closed on the 39' Freedom Pilothouse called Shiloh. A few months to go before commissioning, for us to do some "camping" on the hard and miscellaneous boat projects.

We bought her without splashing although we did have as good a survey as one could have done on land. Naught but a small engine escrow and a prayer now!

Soon we'll bring her home to New York where she'll live on a mooring at either Manhasset Bay or city Island.
Hope to see y'all on the sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190301-073448~2.png
Views:	59
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	186844  
CaptAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Very pretty boat. May she bring you years of enjoyment.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote