Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 11:38   #1

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Just a quick introduction.

Boatyarddog here, working on Boats in the Pacific Northwest, based in Olympia, Wa
Sailing a 1979 Mariner Ketch, hull # 202

Cruiser, racer, gardener, woods walker.
Sailing since age 10. Learned on the Great Lakes.

Owned 3 boats so far, 2 sloops,
1 ketch.
Preparing current vessel for off shore, distance sailing.
Happy to help with what I can.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:01   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Just a quick introduction.

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 11-05-2015, 18:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Boatyarddog.

I would say "welcome aboard" the forum, but noticed you have been a member for over 6 months and have already posted 300+ posts, so you have been contributing already to the forum discussions. That's good.

I noticed the name of your boat is "Cloud Duster." That is an interesting name for a boat. Did you ever do any cloud dusting (rain making)? I have always wondered about that, since seeing the show "Oklahoma."

I do have a friendly suggestion. I took a quick look at your profile page and there was no information there, and I noticed that over 500 forum members had already seen that blank profile before me. So, my suggestion: Copy and paste your intro note from here to your profile. That basic info may help someone in the future, when or if they look at your profile. I did not do this until after many people looked at my profile, and I missed sharing info with over a 1,000 people who were curious about me. My reason for this suggestion? I think the Profile is a good way to help make a forum a more "human" place as a "community" and I also encourage the use of a photo of a human (e.g. a headshot) as an "profile photo" too for the same reason.

Sincerely,
Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 19:21   #4

Just a quick introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Boatyarddog.

I would say "welcome aboard" the forum, but noticed you have been a member for over 6 months and have already posted 300+ posts, so you have been contributing already to the forum discussions. That's good.

I noticed the name of your boat is "Cloud Duster." That is an interesting name for a boat. Did you ever do any cloud dusting (rain making)? I have always wondered about that, since seeing the show "Oklahoma."

I do have a friendly suggestion. I took a quick look at your profile page and there was no information there, and I noticed that over 500 forum members had already seen that blank profile before me. So, my suggestion: Copy and paste your intro note from here to your profile. That basic info may help someone in the future, when or if they look at your profile. I did not do this until after many people looked at my profile, and I missed sharing info with over a 1,000 people who were curious about me. My reason for this suggestion? I think the Profile is a good way to help make a forum a more "human" place as a "community" and I also encourage the use of a photo of a human (e.g. a headshot) as an "profile photo" too for the same reason.

Sincerely,
Steady

Hey, thanks for the check in.
I looked at my profile page and it's as it's always been.
Not sure why you cannot see it.
Filled it out with boat ,name , occupation living area, interests, ect.
If I click on my name badge it's all there.
Maybe I'm not actually online to others.
Don't know for sure.
Shed some light?

Old 11-05-2015, 20:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Hey, thanks for the check in.
I looked at my profile page and it's as it's always been.
Not sure why you cannot see it.
Filled it out with boat ,name , occupation living area, interests, ect.
If I click on my name badge it's all there.
Maybe I'm not actually online to others.
Don't know for sure.
Shed some light?

Hi.
Yes, now I see that information you mention above. I did not see it earlier because when I clicked on your avatar/forum name, it took me to another page/tab which had no info on it. I looked at my own profile page and it looks different, even when I click "see how others see your profile" link. I suppose things can look different depending upon how one accesses the pages. Anyway, your basic data is there, but I did not see it earlier, for some reason.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Boatyarddog.

Sincerely,
Steady

The name "Cloud Duster" came with the vessel.
She's documented under that name.
She was a Charter boat out of San Francisco.
I kept the name as its unusual and out of respect for the previous owner.
She's also been name "Vagabond" in past years.

Tags
introduction