Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 15:20   #1

Boat: Saving for boat
Joining the Ranks

Hello everyone!

I'm not much of a sailor, hell I don't even have a boat or the prospect of getting one any time soon, but I'm saving every last dollar so that someday, in the not too distant future I can. Until that day arrives, however, daydreams and forum posts will have to suffice.

So, yeah, I'm single, 39, bored to death with my job. The prospect of doing the same things day in and day out rises in front of me like a wall of gloom, and I don't think I want to go that route. So, I'd like to turn sideways and leave this existence behind, cruising the seas instead, having a little adventure along the way. After much research and consideration, I think I can pull it off. I mean, why not, right?

My sailing experience consists of one trip in 2007, sailing the Cyclades in Greece on a Bavaria 50. In truth it wasn't much of a sailing trip. After the first two days, there wasn't enough wind to drive the boat, so we ended up motoring from island to island for the rest of the ten days. I didn't really mind though, I was a tourist and wasn't thinking much about sailing. Now I wish I was a bit more eager to learn during that time!

So, I'm considering taking some ASA courses in the next few months, getting my feet wet on the Columbia River, and using vacation time for the next couple of years to go out and look for short term crewing gigs, hopefully to gain some more experience so when the time comes for me to buy my boat, I'll at least have some confidence.

Inspired by some of the other folks in the cruising community, I'm going to be blogging about my experience. I have things up and running if anyone wants to poke their head in. Jack McCracken | The Life of Adventure

Nice to be aboard (metaphorically speaking anyway) and hello again!

-Jack
Jack McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 16:35   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Weclome aboard Jack and good luck. You've come to a good place to get lot of your questions answered.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 22:38   #3

Thanks Tellie. I've already had a lot answered without even having to ask lol
Old 12-07-2010, 22:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Jack, hi and welcome to CF. Looking at your website the thermometer is looking quite healthy already so your well on your way . Yes do the courses and then volunteer so sail on other folks yachts to build up the miles and experience. Been there done that. Some of those skippers made Captain Bligh look like saint, but the lessons of "how not to do it" are so valuable too.

Right if you will excuse me, dawn has just broke an hour ago and I have a to go to work in a minute sitting behind a desk in an IT Dept

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 23:05   #5

Hah Pete, you and me both in the IT dept., brother. Good to know someone's been there both in IT and on those crew gigs before though. Any advice or particular web sites that are better than others for getting those crew jobs? I'm thinking this winter after hurricane season I'll have about 3 weeks to escape.
Old 13-07-2010, 00:20   #6

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCracken View Post

there wasn't enough wind to drive the boat, so we ended up motoring from island to island for the rest of the ten days. I didn't really mind though, I was a tourist .

That pretty much makes you a sailor like the rest of us.

Lots of info here about engines for some reason.

Welcome.
Old 13-07-2010, 16:21   #7

At least I'm not alone with the motoring!

Signed up for ASA certification course today, I feel so much more legit.
Old 13-07-2010, 17:28   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You have got to start working on your dreams somewhere, and this is a great place to start.

You are only 39 - a veritable young whippersnapper. There's plenty of time left to go sailing on the ocean of your dreams.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 18:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
You have got to start working on your dreams somewhere, and this is a great place to start.

You are only 39 - a veritable young whippersnapper. There's plenty of time left to go sailing on the ocean of your dreams.
Wish I could go now.

BTW, inspiring website Dave, it's going to take me a while to digest all of that content.
Old 13-07-2010, 20:36   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I am glad that you are enjoying the site. It's a lot of fun putting some of our cruising stuff up. There would be more if I had the time.

I know what you mean about wanting to go cruising now. I started my circumnavigation when I was 47 years old, and I wish that I had gone sooner. If I didn't have a family, I would have gone in my thirties in my Westsail 32 which cost me $45,000. It was a very well equipped world cruiser. On the other hand, sailing with my kids was awesome. They stood watches, and the whole family had a great time. Both of my kids want to go sailing on their own yacht some day.

If I was in your shoes, I would get a small cruiser 30 -32 ft long. It would be basic and affordable, and away I would go. I would do that for three or four years, and then assess what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

I would not work for ten years to buy a big budget busting yacht that made me a slave.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 08:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

If I was in your shoes, I would get a small cruiser 30 -32 ft long. It would be basic and affordable, and away I would go. I would do that for three or four years, and then assess what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

I would not work for ten years to buy a big budget busting yacht that made me a slave.
That's more or less the plan. The universal wisdom seems to be, don't get a yacht that's too big because of the upfront cost as well as the ongoing costs, keep the gadgets to somewhat of a minimum, and do as much of the work on it yourself as you can.

My bank account still has quite a ways to go before I realistically start searching for a boat, but I have to say, I think my biggest fear of all is buying a piece of crap, having it suck all my money away, and never getting to go at all because I'd be broke at the end. I know that employing a surveyor can reduce the probability of making a huge mistake, but I have no experience with what constitutes a good or a bad yacht, so it's all their word. This makes me very nervous! To that end, however, I'm reading as much as I can, and going to try those crewing gigs, so perhaps this will get me not only some more sailing experience, but help me get to know what constitutes a worthy boat. I'm getting way ahead of myself, so I'll save the stress of that choice for later lol.
Old 14-07-2010, 10:30   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCracken View Post
I think my biggest fear of all is buying a piece of crap, having it suck all my money away, and never getting to go at all because I'd be broke at the end. .
Panic not, the one thing you will get on here is lots of independent views on a particular model, even more so if you choose a popular design. Whats more its free and whilst folk always love their own boat will often point out the flaws for you. No boat is perfect btw, but you knew that already.

Can't help with your earlier question about crew websites as I am on the soggy side of the Atlantic, been pissing down all day today, but there is a section on here. Also get a log book and use it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 22:51   #13

Had my *cough* first real sailing lesson tonight out on the Columbia River. Ya, I can do this. I'm pumped.

I need to get a logbook!
Old 14-07-2010, 23:02   #14

Boat: Islander 36
The only part of that river I've ever seen was... Let's just say, you have a right to be pumped. I guess it must have some less sailboat friendly spots huh? Seriously impressive river.
Old 14-07-2010, 23:13   #15

Up by Portland where I live, the Columbia seems pretty mellow, although there was a decent downriver current and lots of quizzing from the instructor about right of way since we were dodging various sailboats and barges all evening. I still don't get how the rules of that work yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0025.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	17758