Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2009, 18:44   #1

Boat: self design cat in progress
It's Too Hot to Work, So...

I'll hang around here and see what comes of it. I've always learned something hanging around other boat people so will make use of these 33degree, 85%humidity days... sure not going to mix epoxy today.
why me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 19:10   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome "why me"
You are supposed to be epoxying, and half way around the world I am suppossed to be rebuilding a pump. It is not hot here, just lazy.

Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 10:57   #3

I don't knock lazy... it's good and I'm looking forward to my time there again! I would like to be working to get the project done but it just doesn't pay sometimes, you just go backwards. So I went out and bought a computer, haven't had one in years.
Texas must have a fairly mild climate.. there is a Texas Queensland too.. but you wouldn't want to be there anytime of year..

Cheers

Peter
Old 20-12-2009, 11:17   #4

Boat: 16' Catalina
Peter,
I wanted to take a minute and get behind you here... Feel comfortable taking the day off and lazing around for awhile. Its the journey as much as the destination. I'm in Seattle, its rainy and cold and I have to go outside to build a heated dog house for the pitbull my sister-in-law just moved in with... Did I mention she doesn't have a job and seems to overlook the fact that most people don't appreciate that breed of dog? So give yourself a break, if not for yourself, at least for someone else... You might try and shamelessly monopolize on the idea that today you are an Inspiration and leave them to wonder after the details.
Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:35   #5

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
And while your too hot to work, ive just stepped out of my car and slipped flat on my back on black ice.

Enjoy the heat, I would trade you right now.
Old 20-12-2009, 12:01   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Peter,
still haven't started rebuilding my pump, so the laziness has expanding into a total relapse of boat work. It is 40s Deg F here, beautiful sunny Texas sky. We have great winters here, very mild, and sail year round.
Grasshopper, have fun with the dog house.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 12:24   #7

what the... 40 degrees.. "F" you mean Fahrenheit! "black ice"?

anjou, what is black ice? I've never seen ice except in a glass with rum and on TV and movies. Not kidding.. ya OK?

Erika.. I just looked that up and it's near freezing.. beautiful sunny day?? OK.. have it your way. You are tough as guts. Anything colder than 15 and I rug up and hide. Thats about 60 "F" I think.. only slight exaggeration.

Hey G'hopper.. I don't feel guilt.. don't get me wrong.. would like to be working on the boat but it is good to thrash around on this keyboard again. I need to refresh old skills so now is a good time.. my life revolves around epoxy hardener for a while so if it's over 75% humidity or below 15 degrees.. "C" I'll be spending time here.

Peter
Old 20-12-2009, 12:41   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im European and grew up with Celcius, so for me, everything is c

Normal ground and air frost is white in colour, I guess its the air trapped inside it.
Black ice is clear and im not sure how its formed because the air temp earlier was 2-3c above freezing yet the moisture on the ground is obviously frozen. roads and pavements appear to be wet and shiny which is why i didnt give a moments thought to a thin film of ice being on the unsalted carpark outside my home.
Back is sore and bruised, I guess i need more anesthetic.
Old 20-12-2009, 12:50   #9

Boat: Irwin 40
Hmmmm I re-caulked 3 chain plates. Caulked around where the mast comes thru the deck (like it will do any good ) installed the pedestal for the new jib boom and cut the blank for the the new companionway doors, oh and had to go out and buy the wood for that.

Any body feeling guilty yet lol

I'll take the time to sit on my butt and drink rum when I get the hell out of this cold and down to the tropics.

Oh that reminds me I need to run to the store for more coke for the rum

Yall have fun
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 22:55   #10

Well Anjou... when I wind up on me bum from black ice... I'll think of you! OW!! OH yeah.. I remember now.. anesthetic!
Every place has it's... ah.. personality. Currently a cat 5 cyclone on the north WA coast..

I did all the sanding I need for a while.. thats **** work to do in this heat but can do it for a half day anyway.. but the bloody epoxy is just not on. Bad result.

Hey Sailvayu... good ambition... rum and tropics. The coast here can be sooo good. Far north in the winter is the best.. barring dust storms and fires, NSW is good in the summer.

On your mast/deck caulk.. I've been using some interesting silicone on windows that is amazing flexible and sticky.. wonder if it would work on that and take the out of the equation??

regards

Peter
Old 21-12-2009, 05:03   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
...Black ice is clear and im not sure how its formed because the air temp earlier was 2-3c above freezing yet the moisture on the ground is obviously frozen. roads and pavements appear to be wet and shiny which is why i didnt give a moments thought to a thin film of ice being on the unsalted carpark outside my home.
Back is sore and bruised, I guess i need more anesthetic.
Black Ice is slowly frozen, without many air bubbles trapped inside, making it highly transparent, and difficult to detect*.

* Black ice appears in the color of the material beneath it, often wet asphalt or a boat’s superstructure.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 11:14   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Back in my youth I slid around a corner in my '67 Mustang on black ice. No damage but it sobered me up quickly. For once I wasn't even speeding.
regards,
Old 22-12-2009, 12:33   #13

I know the fun I'm missing then. I will make a point of staying where you have to keep the butter in the fridge.

I'm used to other road hazards Skiprjohn.. you ought to see what a 80 kilo roo does to a car! Even worse if you are speeding.. not that I personally have any .. etc etc...

Can someone advise? I know there must be a way to keep track of what threads you may have commented on.. how do you do that?

And thanks all for the welcome.
Regards
Peter
Old 22-12-2009, 12:38   #14

Boat: Irwin 40
click the profile button on the top right

Fair winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 16:17   #15

Learning curve stuff, thanks for the heads up sailvayu