Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 23:46   #31
Registered User
 
ravenblood's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina Coast
Boat: 1959 New Horizon 26
Posts: 24
I should have clarified, I'm a tattoo artist of almost 17 years. Won several awards, have a very solid career, but there's not exactly anything "cute" going on my boat.
I'm not that kind of artist
__________________

__________________
ravenblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 00:00   #32
Registered User
 
impi's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: From Cape Town now New Caledonia
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 952
Images: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblood View Post
I should have clarified, I'm a tattoo artist of almost 17 years. Won several awards, have a very solid career, but there's not exactly anything "cute" going on my boat.
I'm not that kind of artist
LOL ... perhaps 'Nauti 1' then
__________________

__________________
In our own style and our own time ...
http://cat-impi.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 02:50   #33
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Congrats on your first great adventure .

Now every post you make on CF can start with "when I was hit by a Tornado" .......the re-telling will only get better over the years..........possibly including the boat being airborne and meeting a Lion, a Scarecrow and a Tin man .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 02:53   #34
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

I would call her "Dorothy" - as everywhere she goes won't be Kansas .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 03:41   #35
Registered User
 
Jimbo485's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: some ocean down under
Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Posts: 1,247
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Well done, Ravenblood!

If you are serious about heading off with little experience but lots of common sense, check out this website for another take on it all.

bumfuzzle | living, sailing, procreating
__________________
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 08:25   #36
Registered User
 
Mike Vogdes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Boat: Watkins 29'
Posts: 212
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Geez nothing like having all your greatest fears realized on you're first voyage... Will certainly make you a better seaman, and as already said will make a good sea story. Hope you are still excited..
__________________
~~~ ><(((((*> ~~~
Mike Vogdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 08:38   #37
Registered User
 
ravenblood's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina Coast
Boat: 1959 New Horizon 26
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485
Well done, Ravenblood!

If you are serious about heading off with little experience but lots of common sense, check out this website for another take on it all.

bumfuzzle | living, sailing, procreating
I'll pass on the "I'll figure it out as I go" thing. I mean, yes, that's kind of what I'm doing, but I'm not about to make the leap into the unknown and get myself killed out there because I was unprepared. I'm going to be taking my boat down river to a nice bay about a mile across, and practice everything I can until I feel confident enough that I can perform in the dark and half asleep.
I'm assuming these people have a lot more money than I do, if I sink my new home, I can't just buy a nice vw bus or a porsche and carry on the fun.
Everything I've done in life has been a challenge, nothing is easy. I don't expect to just sail off and sip little umbrella drinks out of a coconut. I expect it to be hard work out there. I accept the challenge and hate to quit or fail. I know there will be times that will absolutely suck, and there will be rewards.


Thanks for such a warm welcome folks (all of you)
I appreciate you all

-this seemed to make more sense as I was writing it, maybe I need another cup of coffee
__________________
ravenblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 08:52   #38
Registered User
 
ravenblood's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina Coast
Boat: 1959 New Horizon 26
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes
Geez nothing like having all your greatest fears realized on you're first voyage... Will certainly make you a better seaman, and as already said will make a good sea story. Hope you are still excited..
I didn't even consider that to be a fear on that day. This is north Carolina, I've been in and out if this state since '93, tornadoes really haven't been an issue here... ever. Seems like only the last couple years I've started hearing about them dropping in on us here, but only occasionally, and never on the coast.
I guess the moral of the story is expect the unexpected, and be prepared, even when it seems unnecessary.
Yes, I'm still excited, probably more than I was before. I now have no doubt that I chose a good boat, and she'll take me far as long as I can keep up.
Every day, the list of things I want to learn about gets bigger. This is becoming my second obsession in my life (my art being the first) I plan to take this more seriously than the first. My tattoo machine won't kill me if I make a mistake, my boat could...
__________________
ravenblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 12:03   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Moss Landing, CA
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 1
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Wow. I've just joined the forum, recently 'inherited' a Cal-29, and you're intro to sailing via tornado is classic! I can just picture that jib running up the stay...
outstanding work that you kept your head and dealt with the situation really well. Definitely a name in that experience.

In my book... Be Prepared is the first and best rule. What that means for you and your boat becomes more clear the more you sail, the more uh-oh's, the more darn, I shoulda's... Every sailor is hopefully learning every day something new to add to the Be Prepared list.

Good Luck! Have Fun! Cheers!

Mike
__________________
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 12:24   #40
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblood View Post
I didn't even consider that to be a fear on that day. This is north Carolina, I've been in and out if this state since '93, tornadoes really haven't been an issue here... ever. Seems like only the last couple years I've started hearing about them dropping in on us here, but only occasionally, and never on the coast.
I guess the moral of the story is expect the unexpected, and be prepared, even when it seems unnecessary.
Yes, I'm still excited, probably more than I was before. I now have no doubt that I chose a good boat, and she'll take me far as long as I can keep up.
Every day, the list of things I want to learn about gets bigger. This is becoming my second obsession in my life (my art being the first) I plan to take this more seriously than the first. My tattoo machine won't kill me if I make a mistake, my boat could...
Not sure where in NC you are at ,but I have lived on the NC coast from Kitty Hawk to Ocean Isle and I have seen giant water spouts and Big ole thermals come upon me from nowhere..lots of violent weather on the sounds and along the coast line..I think if you remain in these waters you will see more and more of what you have experienced!Good luck and that sure is a nice looking boat!..DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 12:55   #41
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblood View Post
I definitely agree that there's a name in this story somewhere ...
It's something that I shall never forget.
Poltergeist activity, baptism by fire, pure dumb luck, right place at the wrong time, all of these are true.
My little ship is a survivor, and so is her captain.
If anyone has a suggestion for a good name, I'd like to hear it.
I'll be reflecting on that day for a long time, what went wrong, how to be better prepared next time. but strangely enough, I don't fear it. We've been through it together, and we have a bond now. Someone suggested that the boat wasn't happy with me, I believe none of this. Poseidon threw the lot at me to test my resolve. I made no calls for help, I simply did what I needed to do, and carried on.
Can't help you with a name, it's kind of a personal thing that only works for you. But a first experiance like your's is like breaking a wild horse, once you've done it, it yours forever.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 12:58   #42
Registered User
 
callmecrazy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Tartan 30
Posts: 1,548
Images: 1
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Perfect little boat you have there. It sounds to me like your moving in the right direction and have the right attitude to make everything work out. Lots of good advice already in this thread. Trial by fire for sure. You did the right thing by dropping the anchor just in time. Things happen pretty fast, as you now know... Always be ready to drop anchor or drop sails as swiftly as possible.

I don't doubt that you're up to the challenge of living on the hook, but I would always keep a few bucks put away in case you need to head into a marina for a week, month, or whatever. Keep in mind it's hurricane season now too. You might consider getting an anchor that's about 2 sizes bigger than you think you need
__________________
My Blog
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 13:00   #43
Registered User
 
ravenblood's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina Coast
Boat: 1959 New Horizon 26
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
Not sure where in NC you are at ,but I have lived on the NC coast from Kitty Hawk to Ocean Isle and I have seen giant water spouts and Big ole thermals come upon me from nowhere..lots of violent weather on the sounds and along the coast line..I think if you remain in these waters you will see more and more of what you have experienced!Good luck and that sure is a nice looking boat!..DVC
Thanks... so far, Washington to Jacksonville is my range of travel. I got hit in the pamlico river.
__________________
ravenblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 13:10   #44
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: It's Time For A Transition In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblood View Post
Thanks... so far, Washington to Jacksonville is my range of travel. I got hit in the pamlico river.
I was going to comment on seeing many water spouts on the pamlico and roanoke,you are in better place(for weather and water depth) south of the outer banks...I have a place in North Top Sail beach myself,nice area if they stop the development Now!..DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 13:10   #45
Registered User
 
ravenblood's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina Coast
Boat: 1959 New Horizon 26
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy
Keep in mind it's hurricane season now too. You might consider getting an anchor that's about 2 sizes bigger than you think you need
Done and done, I'm running with a 22 lb danforth right now, going to add a plow to the collection before I head south as well. What can I say, I'm into overkill.
I should probably pick up a windlass soon too. I've already had to use a winch to get it off the bottom a couple times. That thing holds the bottom well.
__________________

__________________
ravenblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.