Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2009, 21:21   #1

Is it Possible?

This is a new goal of mine, due to a suggestion from a friend. The extent of my boating experience is a few snorkel cruises in the Caribbean. I have always wanted to end up living down there but never considered the idea of it being on a boat. After looking at yachts, I can see myself cruising and living on one. I am reading, joined this Forum and trying to learn as much about it as I can.

Questions I have... Is this something a person only does temporarily? I am single, 42, doing pretty well because of my job and have no idea of how much to budget for living on a boat. I like the idea of being where I love - the scenery, weather and gorgeous water - but don't know if this idea is a realistic one. I would think at some point, I will be too old to live on a boat, but if the boat is no longer worth $$ by then, I would be a senior citizen and have to start from nothing, right?

Is it only the wealthy that can go cruising permanently?
Aqua-holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 22:01   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
good dream...

great idea, I've been saving and planning on what you suggest for all of about 26 years now and since the kids are finally grown and out on their own, maybe I will realize that dream as well. I'm 54 now and wonder if I'll have enough money too. Just keep in mind, withou a money making job and steady income can you realistically put out about $1500-2000 a month on the average? If so... crank up the halyard and go for it... otherwise, wish and dream and get that little 24' Columbia and be happy on a day sail every now and then. Family and bills have a way of constantly getting in the way of living life.
I wonder what and where I'd be if I had bought that 42' Westsail back in 1972-73 instead of going back to college and getting these two degrees?
Old 18-01-2010, 10:43   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Cruising can be temporary or permanent. It just depends on your life situation. I cruised and lived aboard in the early 80s but unfortunately my boat at the time and I were separated by Navy orders and I never returned to that life. I was, however, cruising on Navy ships.
It really is a great lifestyle and one I miss very much.
regards,